New guy from SW Florida

Mark Smith

Howdy all!

My name is Mark, I am an avid outdoorsman living currently in SW Florida(about 30 minutes SE of Tampa). I mainly do a lot of fishing, but after going up to GA with my dad for spring turkey season, I have been bitten with the bug. I have always wanted to hunt, but time and circumstances were always dominating factors prohibiting me from getting out in the woods. I am now a licensed falconer, and hunt various small game species with hawks and falcons, which is incredible fun, and an enjoyable challenge. This past turkey trip we didn't bag any birds, but it did expose me to another exciting and very exhilarating side of hunting. So being that hunting season is pretty much done this time of year, I turned my sights towards hunting coyote and hogs. They seem to be readily abundant, and I'm constantly finding sign in my small suburban falconry fields. So I have been reading, researching, and soaking up as much info as I can. I just purchased my very first rifle: a marlin xs7 in .243 as the tool for the job. Everything is shaping up, except for one area, I need a place to hunt. I have put out ads on craigslist offering to remove these pest from landowners property, other than that I'm at a loss on what to do, I'm a college student and can't afford a lease property, so any advice on that would be much appreciated. In addition if anybody local wouldn't mind a tag-along I would be most grateful to get some field experience!

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading my long winded introduction! I look forward to learning from this great community, and hopefully sharing some experiences of my own.

Sincerely-
Mark Smith

Last edited:
Hey Mark, welcome.
Sometimes hunt clubs/leases will allow predator hunting off season, its win-win for them to reduce predation on prime game.
Helps to know a member, maybe get a quick tour from him.
Be prepared to sign a hold-harmless type permit, even suggest one to be pro-active.
Worst they say is no, and they're already non-anti-hunting
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Good advice Bob, my uncle is a member of a hunt club here in Florida, will have to ask him about it for sure! Sent out a few emails to a few lease listings on craigslist asking about the possibility of bartering labor for hunt privileges, and the possibility of a short term lease. I know something has to turn out, I am itching to get the new rifle into the woods!

Back