My first calls

sdkidaho

First, to follow the guidelines, I need to say that these calls are not for sale. I didn't make them to sell, but rather to learn how to make them and learn more about using my lathe.

Second, I'd really like to thank everyone here that has answered all of my questions. What a great group of guys there are, here. I'm sure I've asked some less than brilliant questions, but I've had my questions answered each time, publicly here on the forum, on the telephone and via PM - thank you very much to all of you that have helped me in any way, shape or form.

I'm still not sure on shape, but since they are just for fun, I tried to copy a couple of shapes from other guys that I've seen that I really liked. It has been a lot of fun using the lathe and I've certainly messed more than a few things up as I've went, but overall its been a good time.

My Dad has been plying me with chunks of various types of wood. The first one was a piece of beechwood. I was going for a dinner-bell type of a look but it didn't work out too great. The wood looks nice though:
12CCC0A1-E76D-4311-BFAA-0D55C42C7C2E_zpsitulmkpk.jpg
9A2DE8FB-7ACE-4685-8449-AD01B651D56F_zpsqzuuzgko.jpg
C9081763-3CB9-4237-8DAF-A9F141D2522C_zps7vdbgdmc.jpg

From the next chunk of wood, I glued up a piece of ironwood and cherry together and it was enough to be able to turn 2 calls. I like these better than the first one.

50C75B77-329C-4A4B-B688-298D567D5EB4_zpstl1vr6q4.jpg

7CE5ADE9-D127-4E29-A07E-2CCB08CA1C1C_zpsyrnm1its.jpg
21A2F045-7814-4A4D-85B5-69423D2CF49C_zpsk2qcqv8l.jpg

All three have flaws, but all three work as calls nonetheless.

They all look pretty danged good!! Only thing wrong with the beechwood is it's just a little plain; little stain, little wax and oil finish, and you've got a great working class call there. The other two look great as is!

While being critical of one's own work, to a fault, is typically the mark of a master craftsman, bear in mind that Rembrandt did not paint a masterpiece the first time he picked up a brush. Practice makes perfect, and with each turn it'll become easier, and better.

Back