Accuracy of Savage 24F

The Tooner

I would like to hear what anyone knows or has heard about the accuracy of the rifle barrels on Savage model 24 combination guns. I think one of these might suit my purposes, but obviously, if they aren't quite accurate, they don't. Thanks in advance.

Hey Tooner,
I own a 24F and it shoots very well. I am not the best bench shooter but I can put 4 inside just over an inch at 100 yards. One thing though, I would suggest a shotgun scope (4-6x) if you are going to use one. When I had a rifle scope it changed zero every time I shot the scattergun barrel. Went to a 4x shotgun and all is well. My buddy WolfHound nailed a 'yote with the .223 barrel at a verified 183 steps so I recommend the 24F.

I found the shotgun barrel to be alright, but the rifle barrel left something to be desired. I haven't fired one in 20 years. A lot depends of what and how far you're shooting. You can't expect a tackdriver out of this configuration. Nontheless I liked the gun. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Well, I have a .223 over 12 and I shot it for the first time this weekend after putting on a Bushnell Banner 1.75-4.5. I was using factory
load UMC 55 gr. fmj. There was quite a crosswind. I can put in 3-shot groups in a 1" bull at 50 yds. At 100 yds. I had about a 2" group in the bull so I am a happy camper.

I did have a misfire with those bullets, however (primer popped and looks like it was disfigured so I will be contacting the company.)

I am not a reloader so would really appreciate any advice on a factory load for that gun that will not do a whole pile of pelt damage!

Tried the shotgun barrel with Rem. 3" #4 buck.
Seemed to shoot a little low at 35 yds. but not major. Pattern had some holes in it and I am going to try some other loads for sure but it looks like that load will put 'em down in any case.

I hunt a lot of brushy areas here in Wis. and I figure that might be the gun for me. If I hunt areas with shots over 150 yds. I'll break out the trusty Rem 600 6mm!

Moosetrot

Thanks for this info. I may try one when I'm more flush with funds, because the shotgun combination must come in handy sometimes and it sounds like the rifle is accurate enough for my purposes. But meanwhile, I've just found a NEF Handi-Rifle in .223, which for only about half the cost of a Savage 24, should do more than half the work.

Years ago, I owned a model 24C Savage. It was a .22mag., over a 20 gage. The .22 mag was very accurite. I once killed a bobcat with it at about 120 yards. It was also great for crows and magpies. I wish I still had it. I traded it and aa Armilite AR7 explorer rifle for a clutch and pressure plate for my car. then I gave the car away. Wish I still had that too. 1963 Plymouth Fury with a 426 wedge! HOW STUPID AM I??????
John

Hey all,

My brother owns one in the 222 Rem. over the 20 gauge. It is good, but I want to note that the one my brother had was very easily "re-aligned". What I mean by that, grab the end of your barrel and try to twist the barrels around each other. The way the front end of the barrels is attached permits rotation around enough to put your zero off. Maybe I am the only one that would test a rifle this way. But maybe it was just my brothers gun. And its not like you would just grab your barrel in the field and do this, just wanted you to know, if you start missing lots of your shots, check your barrls. Interesting issue....Maybe savage needs to look at a mid barrel clamp too.

Coplexic

I have a 24F that I just picked up in .22 Hornet over 20 gauge. While it is a pretty ugly gun as far as finish goes and weighs a ton compared to 3 other Savage combo guns I've owned, the rifle was a real surprise. In it's original configuration (straight up .22 Hornet), it was plenty accurate and when I reamed it to K-hornet it was still the same accurate rifle.

I have shot 5-shot groups under 3/4" @ 100yds. using Sierra 45 gr. and IMR 4227 10.5 gr. loads and small pistol CCI or Remington 6-1/2 SRP. in it's .22 Hornet mode and even when fireforming to K-hornet. Haven't had time to do extensive shooting in .22 K-hornet mode but initial loads with Lil'Gun look real good.

This rifle has a pretty crappy trigger so will have to work on that too. But yeah, it is accurate.

Last edited:
Back