Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2826058 - 04/23/15 08:24 PM Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures!
moonshine44 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: The wilds of eastern Oregon...
My lovely bride and her mom have a small bunch of sheep, about a hundred ewes. I seems like about every other year a coyote moves into the river bottom and starts making a career out of eating lambs. This time I managed to put a stop to it before the carnage had a chance to start, or so she's hoping...

So the ewes are all lambed out, and the lambs and their mommas are turned out in the meadow that leads toward the river every morning, then brought in and penned up by mom-in-law's house every evening. Three or four days ago, my wife came home and told me that she'd been seeing a coyote in the field next door, where the cows are calving, almost every morning. Each time, it would head toward the river, cross a big drain ditch, and go into the neighbors field, which is kind of catter corner tucked in between the sheeps' meadow and the cows' meadow.

My weekend finally arrived, and last night Cheryl told me after dinner that if I "want to go coyote hunting in the morning, go down in Dale's field and see if you can get that dog before it starts eating lambs." Got my marching orders, don'tcha know. And this time I had the camera with me...

After she reminded me that the coyotes don't generally pay much attention to vehicles in the field since somebody drives through all the time to check cows, I parked at the upper edge of the field and hiked down into Dale's field to a large patch of dried out toolies and set up just down toward the river from the end of the toolie patch. I set my Wildfire out about 30 yards or so and stuck my Mojo Critter in the ground alongside of it and switched them both on...

I selected TT Little Dog (thanks, Tony!) on the remote and hit send, and pup squalls started drifting down through the field. It wasn't long before I saw a coyote racing through another neighbor's field across the river (blue arrow)...

After a quick prayer that the coyote would come all the way in, I got on the scope and waited for it to come out of the river bottom. I didn't have to wait long. This critter was in a hurry to meet it's doom, I guess. It popped out into the field and right into my crosshairs at about 150 yards. It was pretty much wide open where I was sitting, except for the toolies behind me, so I decided to take the shot before the critter could get close enough to spot me.

I had a good solid rest on my cross sticks, so I took up the first stage on the trigger, squeezed a skosh more and sent a 72 grain hollowpoint on its way. Thump! The coyote started spinning. I must have hit it a little far back, because just when I figured it was finished, it stood up and started to move like it was going to take off. I still had my solid rest with the critter in the scope, so the 6x45 barked again. Thump! Down and out, dead right there...

It turned out to be a big male. It looks kind of scroungy in the picture because it had just swum the river to get to the call...

Stand details:

Caller: Foxpro Wildfire
Sound: TT Little Dog
Rifle: Omni lower, Rock River National Match trigger, DPMS upper, Black Hole Weaponry barrel in 6x45, MagPul stock, grip and mag, Leupold VXI 3-9x scope, Reb brass catcher
Load: Winchester brass, 25 grains Benchmark, CCI 200 small rifle primer, 72 grain Barnes Varminator
Decoy: Mojo Critter

Edited by reb8600 (04/27/15 07:12 PM)

If it ain't fun, why do it?

#2826068 - 04/23/15 09:07 PM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
Ihateyotes Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Tx
Congrats and where there is one there are more especially around cows and sheep keep hunting.

#2826077 - 04/23/15 09:19 PM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
Good show. One less lambsnatcher; Momma should be happy. grin

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#2826090 - 04/23/15 09:52 PM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
Infidel 762 Online

Loc: Okie
Fine job if I may say so thumbup1

#2826098 - 04/23/15 10:22 PM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: Infidel 762]
josiecurdog Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Missouri
Great job and glad you got pics to go with it!

#2826115 - 04/23/15 10:46 PM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: josiecurdog]
SVB Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Mich. Mqt co Beaver Grove
Enjoyed your Hunt Thanks for sharing--------------- svb

#2826141 - 04/24/15 12:19 AM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
HunterHawk Offline

Loc: Colorado, sometimes AZ
Congrats on the yote!

#2826157 - 04/24/15 03:03 AM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
Pa. Mick Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southern shores of Lake Erie ,...
Congrats ! Keep hunting there's more !

#2826219 - 04/24/15 10:37 AM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
jf1073 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NW OK
excellent write up and perty scenery

#2826229 - 04/24/15 11:32 AM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
SkyPup Online

Loc: Florida
Nice work and some great pics!

Blood -> The Ultimate Biofuel
You can not argue with a sick mind.

#2826233 - 04/24/15 11:45 AM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
moonshine44 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Thanks, all. Yep, Mama's a happy camper.

I usually end up setting up and sniping them when they come into the fields after they start killing lambs (got five that way a couple of summers ago) so it was nice to be a little proactive this time. Hopefully this will keep the death toll on the lamb crop down at least somewhat.

#2826634 - 04/25/15 07:37 PM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
thelonehowler Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: falconer n.y.-usa
great job.really nice photos.keep hunting there's probably more.thanks for sharing

#2826855 - 04/26/15 06:02 PM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
Big_Foot Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Over there....among the lakes
Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

"The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves."G. Washington

Politicians are the lowest form of life on the earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politicians. George Patton.

#2826856 - 04/26/15 06:05 PM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: Ihateyotes]
beagler Offline
PM senior

Loc: lackawanna county,PA
Congrats!

#2827438 - 04/28/15 01:04 PM Re: Got one this morning, and this time I've got pictures! [Re: moonshine44]
moonshine44 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.