pvs14 field of view issue

Tom L

hopefully someone here can give me some advice, so I don't pour more money at something that may not work
I bought a larue swing away pvs mount for my larue predatAR

just received it the other day and mounted it last night, I have a vortex strike fire on the rail now, I mounted the pvs 14 behind the vortex and the fov is horrible, like looking thru a straw, I mounted the pvs in front of the sight and the picture is much better, but from my understanding it will change the point of impact.

so my question is , if I put a scope like a tijicon or elcan ect in front of the pvs 14
will I get a better field of view? and does the pvs14 perform better with a light gathering scope in front of it, or will the look still be the same.

I have a few scopes at home to try, just thought I would ask here first

I have been researching options with NV and thermal in preparation for buying both.

What I have read is that if you are going to mount the PVS 14 behind a red dot or reflex type sight then an EO Tech is preferred because it allows for greater FOV.

However, a lot of guys set up a rifle mounted IR (non visible) laser cowitnessed with their optic and then use the PVS 14 head mounted to put the laser dot on the target.

Armasight makes a QD rail mounted unit that mounts a PVS 14 and projects a "reticle" similar to the EO Tech 65min circle, with a 3min center dot onto the front lens of the PVS 14 with or without a 3x magnifier. I have no experience with it, but it sounds like an interesting solution for weapon mounting a PVS 14, FOV and magnification all in one package. Here is a link:
http://www.armasightstore.com/night-vision-accessories/armasight-aim-pro

(ETA: Armasight also offers what appears to be a high version of the mount I posted a link to.)

FWIW, the rifle I think I'll try mounting a PVS 14 on already has a NV compatible EO Tech. I am hoping that works ok.

Also, while I am sure the higher end weapon mounted IR lasers are better, I have heard good reports from guys who use LaserMax's IR laser, which is a lot less expensive.

JPK

Last edited:
thanks for the response

I have no problem with the set up when I wear the pvs14 on my head. I can scan and when I want to shoot, just look thru the strike fire. the sight housing itself really fades away and all I can see it the dot with the head mounted setup with a good field of view.
the armasight sounds interesting

I will have to mount a few more scopes and try it out

Originally Posted By: Tom Lhopefully someone here can give me some advice, so I don't pour more money at something that may not work
I bought a larue swing away pvs mount for my larue predatAR

just received it the other day and mounted it last night, I have a vortex strike fire on the rail now, I mounted the pvs 14 behind the vortex and the fov is horrible, like looking thru a straw, I mounted the pvs in front of the sight and the picture is much better, but from my understanding it will change the point of impact.

so my question is , if I put a scope like a tijicon or elcan ect in front of the pvs 14
will I get a better field of view? and does the pvs14 perform better with a light gathering scope in front of it, or will the look still be the same.

I have a few scopes at home to try, just thought I would ask here first

Hi, you're correct. Putting a PVS-14 in front of a day optic can and does cause some POA/POI issues. Some have reported ok results at 25 yards and in, but the majority have issues.

Placing a EO Tech or AP in front of your PVS-14 works the best with the EO having the best FOV due to it's larger glass port.

We suggest a quality QD mount you can go from your head to your weapon quickly and vice versa. Our TM-14 is American made and uses an Aimpoint twist base that stays on the gun. The beauty of this system is you can use the base for a day time 3x magnifier. http://tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-tm14-mk2-pvs-14-weapon-mount/

Here is the system and a few pics to show what the unit does. We sell a good number of these systems. Regardless, (disclaimer) the best way to use a PVS-14 is to mount it on your head and use a IR laser on your gun. Shoulder your weapon, keep your head up with no chin weld and effective hits on 14" steel can happen easily out at 200 yards.
smile.gif

TM14mk2_b_af_zpsktlzhdsp.jpg

TM14mk2_top1_zpssaz6hijd.jpg

TM14_2_zpse325c3c3.jpg

Aimpoint or Eotech work best in front of rail mounted PVS-14 since they do not interfere with the light gathering lens of the PVS-14 itself. Putting a scope in front of a PVS-14 is not so good due to decreased light being picked up at night.

Best is helmet mount PVS-14 with IR laser, I have shot coons out to 200 yards with mine, you can cowitness the laser with your holographic sight too.

A PVS-14 mounted behind a day scope works great, you just have to use a good external IR device (like the HTRN T-20) to assist with light when the moon is at 1/4 stage or worse. Once you get to 1/2 moon or better you really don't need the IR assistance anymore as there is plenty of light available for a good NV picture. 350 yard ++ shots are capable with the behind the dayscope mounted PVS-14 as we have plenty of video footage to prove it. I'm not familiar with the Vortex you have. If it has a rear diopter adjustment, I would start playing around with it (with the PVS-14 behind it) until you get a good FOV. Many times on day scopes there will be an optimum diopter adjustment on the scope that works best with the PVS-14. Kevin

A real dedicated NV scope is always much better than a PVS-14 behind a day optic for light gathering purposes, but if that is all ya got get an 850 IR emitter to go with it!

TC%20PVS%2014.jpg

PVS%2014%20Left.jpg

PVS%2014%20Right.jpg

2X%20on%20Sig.jpg

Unless you are going to leave the pvs attached to the gun at all times, it is a pita to scan then attach and refocus to make the shot using a variable power day scope. As others have stated a helmet mounted pvs w/ ir laser is the most effective method.

I have a loaner PVS 14 in hand for the weekend, and looking through the PVS behind the EO Tech the view was fine with no FOV issues. (limited until dark to my basement.) Same appeared to be true with the 3x magnifier on the PVS 14.

Heading to one of my hunting clubs this evening, can't wait to mess around with it in the dark and in the country.

JPK

I learned the hard and expensive way. Hunting coyotes and good shot placement...Go with something like 2x-10-50 or 2.5-15 x 56 scope or something similar.. to name a few bushnell swarvo Nikon etc...I think side parallax is a must but others might be able to input more info. Reaching forward for the AO at night is too much movement for me.

FOV is important for coyotes because they are almost always moving. Trijicon accupoint reticle will glare and burn the tube - I own two of them. My Eotech left a haze on the tube. Eotech does have a great field of view, but it got moved to the shotgun as a backup sight with an ir laser.

Last night I was playing with a new clark custom ruger 1022 (my double tap machine) and the only scope I had laying around was 6x-18x40 tasco...it looks good with NV (luna or lltl ir ) but when the coyote came screaming in to the call - I couldn't find him and when I did it was not a safe shot. So for the 1022 I just purchased a cheap BSA 2x-10 x 44 (60 feet fov)...I was tempted to get a 3x scope but choose 2x. The 3x, 4x and 6x will work but you will lose some coyotes and or a chance at a double or triple.

Well, spent some time playing with the PVS 14. What a treat, it is even better than I expected.

On FOV, with the PVS 14 in a D Loc mount, with 3x magnifier screwed in, the EO Tech XPS3 mounted directly to the rail - no riser, the FOV is excellent though slightly occluded at the bottom of the view from about 4:30 to 7:30 o'clock by the base of the EO Tech below it's lens.

With about 40 percent moon, little cloud cover, the upper casing of the EO Tech was not visible, with the EO Tech about 1" in front of the 3x lens. I think it must be within the FOV but it wasn't visible, and there was no band or haze in the view giving it away.

I found little difference in the view with the PVS mounted behind the EO Tech compared to handheld. Perhaps the fairly bright conditions helped obscure any dimnishment of light transmitted to the PVS.

I have never been a high magnification guy when hunting. The highest magnification low setting on any of my scopes is 3.5, most are 1.25 to 2x. I kill most of the game I shoot with my scope on it's lowest setting, no matter the gun, scope or the game. The few times I have zoomed a scope for a shot it is usually to about 3-4x. I recall zooming to max only four times, and max was 5x, 5x, 4x and 8x respectively.

FWIW, my take on the PVS 14 with 3x magnifier behind an EO Tech was that it was a very hunt able combination with what I would consider about perfect magnification.

JPK

Originally Posted By: kyle crickenbergerUnless you are going to leave the pvs attached to the gun at all times, it is a pita to scan then attach and refocus to make the shot using a variable power day scope. As others have stated a helmet mounted pvs w/ ir laser is the most effective method.
We have been scanning and attaching PVS-14s with no issues in excess of 10 years. You simply have to practice doing it a few times and get familiar with your equipment before going afield. Of course if you can afford to double your investment (purchasing a NV device for shooting and another one for scanning) then that will save you a few seconds. However, if you want to only purchase one unit using a behind the scope PVS-14 with quick attach (like the HTRN Signature Scope) is the way to go. Kevin

Originally Posted By: SkyPupMy favorite is using the Sony HD 2X magnifier:

2X%20on%20Sig.jpg

Same 175 yard NV pic of oak tree:

PVS14%20Thru%20Eotech.jpg

Sony%202X%20and%20Eotech.jpg

Good pics Skypup...I will add the camera sees MUCH more shadowing effect from the EO than really appears in real time. The Aimpoint camera behind pics are even uglier!
unsure.gif

For best overall clarity and range I like the USGI 3X the best, but it is a HEAVY piece of glass so most of the time I stick with the Sony 2X HD Telephoto and its wider FOV.

3X%20Mag.jpg

"My Eotech left a haze on the tube."

OK first which EOTech did you use when it did that? There are several models available and I'm not so sure that all of them will do that "leave a haze on your NV tube.

The EXPS3 series is Night VISION (NV) compatible and has the controls on the left side of the unit where there is and up and a down adjustment for brightness PLUS there is a NV button to switch to the Night Vision Mode. I doubt that the NV mode would leave a haze on your night vision scope. Only if you didn't turn the NV mode on in your EOTech or use one of the EOTech models that is NOT Night Vision Compatible would it leave a haze on your night vision scope.

So details really do matter a LOT.

One of the reasons why I purchased the EOTech EXPS3-4 Hollow Graphic Weapons System HWS is because the EXTREME version has Night Vision Capability. I was planning on buying a Night Vision Scope for hunting coyotes at night. And that is one of the reasons I was reading this thread and am making this current post. The thread may be old or new I'm not sure. I found it using the search feature in here. But even if it's an old thread the details should be pointed out IMHO.

Last edited:
Back