Hunting with a SBR

Originally Posted By: KennyGFor me its the thick brush and forest that makes the SBR more convenient. Also less weight, but I am chambered in 300BLKOUT

An SBR in 300BO is different ball game. I don't get the thick brush, dense forest argument. I've just never put myself in a situation where I could only make shots measured in feet instead of yards. The stories about the use of SBR's for hunting are long and wide. I doubt they are very deep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Raven OneOriginally Posted By: KennyGFor me its the thick brush and forest that makes the SBR more convenient. Also less weight, but I am chambered in 300BLKOUT

An SBR in 300BO is different ball game. I don't get the thick brush, dense forest argument. I've just never put myself in a situation where I could only make shots measured in feet instead of yards. The stories about the use of SBR's for hunting are long and wide. I doubt they are very deep.

Have you ever hunted a thick deciduous forest? AS in the Pacific Northwest or the NE States woods? Pushing big deer from laurel thickets is fun and effective from where I come from. And I can certainly see the effectiveness of a SBR in that stuff. However, I don see the PAGC allowing semi-autos any time soon, so thats a moot point there. But, I can certainly see where they would make a good difference. Just the same as you don't see too many long barreled rifles in bolt,lever or pumps in these areas. It would be a major PITA to make your way through a pine thicket, or laurel patch with a 26" tube...JMO/JME

Raven One said:
jcs271 said:
I didn't say SBR. I described a specific set of SBR's. That being said, photos are worth a thousand words... You know, the kind you take with your game and the rifle you harvested it with. {Quote Raven One}

I always have to laugh when some guy who has been registered here for all of 2 weeks starts calling out the members who have been posting here for 5-10 YEARS. We all have a long track record here if you want to use the search function to read about our adventures. Maybe as the "NEW GUY" you could introduce yourself and post some pics of your adventures. That way nobody will start to think you are just another anti gun/hunting internet troll.

Originally Posted By: Raven OneOriginally Posted By: KennyGFor me its the thick brush and forest that makes the SBR more convenient. Also less weight, but I am chambered in 300BLKOUT

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. I use a sbr to hunt here in Arizona, it's thick brush in the areas I hunt and rarely am I presented with a shot further than a couple hundred yards. I have no interest in a 300bo as 223 out of a short barrel is very effective.

Just saying that out of a short barrel 300 BLKOUT has more benefits than 5.56/.223. Better energy, powder burn. Only thing the .223 would have is a bit more range, but where I hunt 250 yards is a rare shot due to trees and brush blocking your view.

Originally Posted By: KennyGbe careful with the sig brace now, ATF says no shouldering it. Kind of ruins the fun of it.

Shoots fine with a 16" barrel and keeping it off the shoulder. Don't guess I have to as I would only be "redesigning" it to a rifle. Haven't shot the 10.5" yet as I am still waiting on the second BCG.

Originally Posted By: Raven OneOriginally Posted By: jcs271Oh trust me, there are lots of "more useless" weapons out there than an SBR yet people seem to own,love and shoot them too. Mine are short, light and easy to handle in close quarters. I could not imagine trying to shoot a 26-30" heavy barrel varmint rifle in the areas I hunt.

I didn't say SBR. I described a specific set of SBR's. That being said, photos are worth a thousand words... You know, the kind you take with your game and the rifle you harvested it with.

cigar-smiley.gif

Technically not an SBR... But it does have a short barrel;

Back