Recommend a fur-friendly caliber for coyote and occasional fox and bobcat

Sounds like you might need a "custom" AR just for light load 223.
Won't take much, light buffer, slippery BCG, shortish barrel (14",16").
So,, since everybody needs at least one AR, and/or can't have to many ARs, there you go !!

ps: hunted central UP for deer as a teenager, dubious distinction of only place being lost while hunting.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: CZ527I wouldn't go 17.

Have you ever owned one?

Obviously, there's still 2 in the safe that don't get used. At least not for predator hunting.

Why would you ask?? Pretty rude in my opinion.

CZ527,
Several of us are fans of the 17 centerfires. I believe Repete is used to people parroting something they read about the 17's with no first hand knowledge. Hence the question.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: CZ527I wouldn't go 17.

Have you ever owned one?

Obviously, there's still 2 in the safe that don't get used. At least not for predator hunting.

Why would you ask?? Pretty rude in my opinion.

How is it "obvious"?

How is it "rude"?

And how the he11 could I possibly know what's in your safe?

It was a simple question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiCZ527,
Several of us are fans of the 17 centerfires. I believe Repete is used to people parroting something they read about the 17's with no first hand knowledge. Hence the question.

Thank you for your reasonable explanation. I'm still getting used to this forum. I guess I need to figure out how it works. Your way of putting it makes more sense than the childish behavior I see below, which won't be honored with a response. Thanks for the reply.

25.gr.bergers or nagels will do the job .i have killed coyotes out to 400yds. one shot,i you can shoot they work if you can't shoot nothing works well.

After thinking about your responses a bit more it seems like a shotgun will be best for me for fox and bobcat under 50 yards, in thick cover areas. So, now I am looking for a caliber that will work in the 50-150 yard range, not destroying a fox, but will kill a coyote.

To add more clarification, I want to use Lapua or comparable brass that is easy to form and where I don't have to full length resize every time I reload. I am not using an AR so I can neck size and want my brass to last a long time. I also want a caliber where quality brass is likely to be available now and in the future.

I would prefer a caliber that I can run at speeds that will not wear out my barrel after 1000 shots or less and isn't apt to foul every 25 shots. I don't mind running it less than max speeds as long as I can get a load that is very accurate. In fact it would great if the caliber could run a variety of speeds and still be accurate. That way, it is more versatile.

I don't know if this added info makes one or more calibers stand out. I would love to just download a 223, but am worried my 1:9 twist (which is still at the gunsmith getting re-barreled) will not shoot 40-45gr bullets accurately and at the appropriate speed to meet my conditions. I am afraid a 50-55gr bullet will damage the fox even if downloaded. That's why I am considering getting a new rifle in a 17/20 caliber.

Such challenges.

Don't be afraid, it'll be ok....LOL. A downloaded 223 can be just like a 22 Hornet to the fox. Accuracy shouldn't be a problem if you work thru loading components to find what it likes, esp in the lighter bullets. And you'll save some $$ to spend on more ammo! Now get at it!

If I can find an accurate 223 round with 40-45gr bullets, downloaded to 22 hornet velocities, at what distance could I safely kill a coyote?

20 tac and 45 grain hornady sp? I've never personally shot a cat or fox with it, but the 45s out of the 204 are around 35ish at the upper node, the tac will be a little slower. Should be able to find a lower node too. I've seen 45 grain SP's through and through a very close coyote. I would imagine they'd be good on the smaller stuff too. I could easily be corrected though. And lapua makes brass.

Its more about the bullet ya use on the higher end of the caliber choices for you. Ive shot whitetails with a 338 WM with a bullet designed for much bigger animals and it just poked a hole through em but the hydrostsatic shock liquified the internal organs.Every one dropped dead. SMALLER ANIMALS can be taken the same way.Finding the right bullet is the key. IMO anything from a 22 hotnet to .223 would fit the bill.Ive shot coyotes w/a .223 thru the lungs with 69gr HPBT n they just pass thru with minimal damage to the hide.

Last edited:
.17 hornet
.17 furball
.17 Remington
.20 vartarg
.20 pract
.20 tac
.204 wooger
.22 hornet
.22-k-hornet
Just to name a few, and none are perfect.

Originally Posted By: kmcdonouIf I can find an accurate 223 round with 40-45gr bullets, downloaded to 22 hornet velocities, at what distance could I safely kill a coyote?

I would limit myself to around 175 yds with that load

Back