50mm objective with medium rings?

SMOKEZM

Hey guys, I found a good deal on a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50. I usually stick with 40mm's but this seems like great deal. I'm wondering if it will fit on my rifle without changing rings. I've measured it as best I can & it looks like it will be very close. The rifle is a Savage 14 classic with a sporter contour barrel, Burris XTB bases & Burris signature zee rings medium height. I'm wondering if anybody has a similar set-up & whether it worked or not. Also if you found something that worked, how high is your ring base combo from the top of your reciever?

Thanks, Matt

Last edited:
I have the same scope, and Burris Z rings in medium. I had to use a 20 MOA rail to get more elavation with the CDS dial. I love that scope for yote hunting.

I mount scopes at Cabela's and have found that low rings usually work on 40mm and under objective scopes and mediums usually work on 50mm objectives. When there are issues it is normally not with the objective touching the barrel but with the bolt handle hitting the ocular. This is especially true with Nikons. We use Leupold and Warne mounting systems.

I use medium warne rings on everything and With my 44mm vortex I can fit my pinky between the objective and my bull barrel...thats with 30mm rings.

Shelton

I just bought a set of Weaver tactical 30mm high rings for a 50mm objective scope. Package says up to 44mm objective. After mounting, I've got all kinds of room with the 50mm objective. I agree, sometimes you just have to try it to know for sure.

Back