Opening Day (Trout) Kill...

S2H

Had the option to link up with a bunch of guys for opening day of trout season, or sleep a little longer and sit over the honey hole. I made the decision to sleep in a little longer and hit the honey hole at first light. Got there right about legal shooting time and set up in overwatch in the prone. Gobblers from 4 different directions sounding off, as I watch the ground lighten from the rising sun. It hasn't produced so far this year, but I figured it was only a matter of time. Nice morning to be laying in a pile of cow poop...doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing here, it smells so bad nothing is gonna pick up my scent. Best scent control there is!

Couple of crows show up, some geese, some ducks, and more gobbles. Scanning left and right and catch movement to my 11 o'clock. 200 yards out and making its way along a fence line from left to right. I bring the rifle up and look for him in the scope. Hard to see that little bugger in that taller grass along the fence. I had the .223 with me, shooting 53gr Vmax. I crank the scope power up and look again and I find him. He's just on his morning jaunt back to the woods to take a nap. He crosses under the fence and into the field in front of me, and I lip-squeak to stop him. He stops and looks in my direction. Facing head on, I let the first one fly and I see his guts spill. He goes into his spin biting the junk falling out of him. I let a 2nd and 3rd fly, but they don't connect. He stops his spin and I can see him chewing on himself...4th round drops him to the ground. 0620 time of shot...200yds.

Stayed in place for another 40 minutes and went down to check out my kill. Heavy male...and I took him to his final resting place. He's facing away so you don't have to see all the sausage links coming out of him!!

Got some time before turkey season starts to get some more on the ground, and things are starting to get interesting. No need to call when you catch them on their way.

Caught up with everyone on the river. Must have been 10,000 people fishing. I wet the line just to say so, but had a better time just shooting the sh!t with everyone. Lots of people catching fish, and snags, and trees, etc.

Good day all around, with some great weather. Thanks for reading!!

Well done. Nice write up and picture. If I have to choose either hunting or fishing, I'd pick hunting also. Congrats..

thumbup.gif

Back