Anybody hunting dogs in the springtime?

I hunt them in the spring, except turkey season when they are out of season up here. I get back after them after turkey time, and have pretty good luck hunting over freshly hayed fields right at sunset.

Was watching two birds last year and had two coyotes chase them out of the field in the evening. Went back the following Monday evening and called one out to the field edge. He's no longer chasing turkeys.

Worth it to me...

Anytime of the year is a good time to call and kill coyotes. June has always been a good month for me. Just ride around and find the fresh mowed fields and you will kill coyotes.

Thanks for the info guys. Don't have an overabundance of coyotes but I would like to get rid of some. Didn't have any luck this winter but called in more than the two previous winters. Just wanted to try something different.

Originally Posted By: mt boyHonestly I kill more this time of year then any other.
same here. and the action is more entertaining with the use of a decoy dog.

I am just getting into it in Virginia trying to get all the night vision stuff together that is really expensive haven't had much luck in the daytime but a couple of my buddies started last year and they hunted all year long and they said the best time to hunt them was from April to September and June and July they killed a lot of dumb pups that have just started to hunt

You don't have to spend big bucks on night vision if legal to hunt with lights.

Welcome to PM & hunting the hunter !

Last edited:
Tried hunting with lights no luck either my buddies told me it wouldn't work should have listened I tried and tried I had them coming in on a string barking in the woods but never came out in the open with the light being on happened several times its a lot of controversy over lights some people in different states say they have never had a problem and others say its impossible the night crew in Texas brings them in with really bright lights they get a glimpse of a light around here and they are heading for the bushes and fast and you can have the light as dim as you possibly can get it no difference

I have never called one into the open day or night, light or no light. will not come out of the woods to a call. I have killed several in the open, but not to a call. have to call in the woods here.

Last edited:
chris lawerence has a hunting show on the radio called wv outdoors. he ask two men who coyote hunt religiously from the Midwest on out, if they ever tried wv. they said no way not enough coyotes, and they are to hard to hunt there.

I have called a bunch in to the open just seems to take them a little longer to get there. Do all my hunting during morning and late evening. Just make sure you play the wind right.

Western coyotes we see on TV and eastern coyotes are two different dogs. There more wolf like here and they have alot of places to hide. Everything they need is in the woods so they don't need to expose themselves. That's why you don't see les johnson and fred eichler hunting in the Appalachian mountains. Never had any luck with the lights. Called in several in the winter during early mornings though. Been at it 3 yrs now and my best luck is in the booger woods with a shotgun. Appalachian coyotes are like hunting bigfoot sometimes.

IM in North Georgia,,, and hunt year round. I go on average of 3/4 times or more every week. Spring/summer field cutting for crops or hay are the best. I hunt days and nights. Night hunt hunts have ruined me a little,, but still get a few in the daylight. Nights are with a hot red LED with focus on the rifle,, and one in hand. They can't hide from it.

called in one last evening, it was the exact color of a german sheperd, black body & head tan legs. that pup came within 20 feet on my left side, & i am left handed, so you know the results.

weve got one on our land in North east TN that I swear is mixed with a german shepherd. Weve got him all over property the last 3 years.

We call ed two in last winter one was black and the other was really red. Saw the black one but never saw the red one. My hunting partner said he got a pretty good look at it. He said he couldn't be sure it was a coyote because it was so red. I showed him a pic of a red wolf and he said that was exactly what it looked like. I know several years ago the dnr in va turned some red wolves loose. We were wondering if anybody else thinks there could be some red wolves running around. Any thoughts on this?

Back