20 vartarg reloading data?

cherokee305

I'm having trouble coming up with much published reloading data for the 20 vartarg.

Coopers load is 18 gr of h335 and a 32 vmax. This load only produced 2900 fps.
I wasn't overly impressed with the speed or accuracy of this load.

Ive played alittle with reloader 7 and see a few signs of promise there.

I bought Todd kindles book terrific 20s hoping it would have a lot of data posted, but I was pretty disappointed.

Anyone know of any other place I can look?
I've got h335, h322, reloader 7,benchmark, and 10x on hand that I can try.

AA2200 gives me higher velocity than H4198 they both work good and like Ron said try Saubier alot of 20vt data there

I have 3 20vt's and all 3 shoot well with 32, 35, 39 and 40 grain bullets. They are all 12 twist 24" barrels. My best powder is H4198. I started out with cci400 primers but switched to Rem 7.5's. My go to load WAS 18 gr. with 39 gr sbk's but backed off to 17.8 gr and the groundhogs haven't noticed. If you get Todd Kindler's book beware that some of his loads are pretty hot. As always work up to these loads. The 35 gr Berger was the most accurate but I like the 39's for hunting. Good luck.

I switched to rem primers because I pierced a couple of cci400's with 18 gr of h4198 and the 39 gr sbk. That's also the reason I went to 17.8 gr. I never had a problem with the 7.5's but backed off just to be safe.

Go to hodgdons web site. Plug in the caliber bullet and powder and it spits out the data free of charge. Hard to beat service like that.

The hodgdon site is good but only if they list the cartridge that you are interested in. 20 vt is not listed.

Back