New CCI 17 HMR

wicka

Just picked up a box of new (never seen them before)CCI A17 Varmint Tip 2650 FPS 17 grain. 200 count box
100 FPS faster than any other 17 HMR loads. Optimized for the Savage Arms A17 rifle.
Will use it in my Savage 93R17 in a few weeks.

They had to come up with a little hotter load for the Savage A17 semi auto rifle, because is doesn't cycle consistently with with the normal 17 HMR ammo....so I have read!

The winchester varmint HE - "wally world variety" works perfectly in my A-17. No FTF or FTE.

I just got a notice that my A17 ammo by CCI, is at the store (Cabelas- I use the ship to store, and ordered it online.)

Planning varmageddon next weekend on ground squirrels. Should be a hoot.

I used this ammo about two weeks ago on ground squirrels up in NE California. It shot well out of my CZ 452, with the only noticeable difference was a bit flatter shooting. I got some good video and will be shooting it through a chrony in a few days, comparing it to some newer ammo and the original Hornady.

The new Savage A17 rifle is not limited to this ammo. Any of the newer 17HMR ammo should work fine in the new rifle.

When the 17 rimfire magnum was first tested back in 1992, it was shooting a 20 grain bullet at 2700fps. I'm sure they can squeeze more out of the 17HMR, while still keeping it within the pressures that the current rifles are able to handle.

Eric
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: CBHThey had to come up with a little hotter load for the Savage A17 semi auto rifle, because is doesn't cycle consistently with with the normal 17 HMR ammo....so I have read! Hornady reduced their muzzle velocity by 100fps a few years back. Maybe that's why?

Originally Posted By: marcoHornady did WHAT?!!! BS!! Dirty doG.

If you go off the numbers, from the original (first run) Hornady ammo, to the current, then you will see that they did drop the velocity. Perhaps it was because of the issues folks were having with cracked necks in the beginning, but I just completed a test of the new CCI A17 ammo and included a few strings of the first run Hornady ammo in my chronograph testing. The numbers for the first run ammo averaged 2628fps, with the current ammo running 2580.

Also, if you go back to Steve Boelter's excellent book, "Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition", you will see that his testing of the earlier Hornady ammo was 2860fps. Now we all know that every rifle will produce different results (due to barrel length, environmental, sea level, etc), but it's pretty clear that something changed.

Either way, if you want to see what I came up with for the three rounds, as well as check out my results from the new CCI A17 Ammo, the article and hunt report video are now up on my site.

Eric
cool.gif

Last edited:
Its just rim fire ammo from lot# to lot# you never know what you will get! Whats SAAMIs spec for velocity for the 17HMR? For the 22 magnum its 1875fps +OR- 90fps. Ive chronoed a lot of 22 magnum in my time and velocitys are all over the place with lot# change! Ive seen CCI +Vs go from 2,350fps. average velocity to 2,150fps. average velocity! Win 40gr. HPs that would go 1960fps. to 1750fps. Did CCI and Winchester drop velocitys? NO!

Originally Posted By: marcoHornady did WHAT?!!! BS!! Dirty doG. Hornady DID reduce their hmr velocity, I noticed the difference when my first run hoard of 17Vmax ammo was low and the new stuff I bought several years later felt different, impacted lower at distance, was less accurate, and chronographed about 2550 fps compared to the first run ammo at about 2650 fps. Research it yourself. I bought an hmr when they first came out. Ammo was hard to find so I bought a few cases of H 17Vmax ammo in bulk and it lasted a long time. The new production stuff is weaker. Fact.

Varmint Al confirms 17hmr ammo testing circa 2006 showed Hornady 17Vmax velocities around 2650 fps, which was about 100 fps faster than the published data on the box. Another test shows an average of 2595 fps measured 15' in front of the muzzle, so actual muzzle velocity would be quite a bit higher.

Dirty, do you know what the SAMMI velocity spec is for the HMR? Did you ever call Hornady or CCI to confirm your findings? Do you think that every box of 17 HMR that leaves the CCI plant is going 2,550fps? Its all about safe pressures!

I know my chronograph and drop charts showed a muzzle velocity of about 2650 fps from my 24" barreled Marlin 17V, similar velocity as many other shooters at that time. That was normal. I recall others joking that the mighty hmr was the only factory ammo that shot FASTER than the advertised velocity. (almost all factory rifle ammo velocity is overstated compared to real world velocity).

Do you trust ChuckHawks? He tested 4 types of hmr ammo over the chronograph and his tests showed Hornady 17Vmax averaged 2658 fps! He writes:
Quote:Chronograph results

As part of this comparison we decided to chronograph the four brands of .17 HMR ammunition. I did the shooting and Gordon Landers recorded the data. We fired 10 shots per load over theGuns and Shooting Online Chrony chronograph. The chronograph was placed at a distance of 10 feet from the muzzle of our Ruger 77/17VMBBZ test rifle. This rifle was chosen because it has a 24" barrel, the standard length used by most ammunition manufacturers for chronograph testing. Here are the instrumental velocities for our four brands of ammo, including the highest velocity, lowest velocity, extreme spread, and mean average velocity.

CCI - high 2613 fps; low 2517 fps; extreme spread 96 fps; average = 2559 fps.

FEDERAL - high 2631 fps; low 2539 fps; extreme spread 92 fps; average = 2595 fps.

REMINGTON - high 2626 fps; low 2591 fps; extreme spread 35 fps; average = 2609 fps.

HORNADY - high 2698 fps; low 2621 fps; extreme spread 77 fps; average = 2658 fps.

The most unusual result from our chronographing is that all four brands of .17 HMR ammunition delivered significantly higher average velocities than the factory specifications call for. The CCI ammo exceed its advertised MV by 34 fps, the Federal load exceeded its published MV by 45 fps, the Remington load exceeded its published MV by 59 fps, and the Hornady ammo exceeded its catalog MV by a whopping 108 fps. And this is based on instrumental velocity at 10' (rather than actual MV) from a chronograph that is historically on the stingy side. This result is almost unheard of in all my years of chronograph testing. This .17 HMR ammo is hot stuff!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_ammo.htm

So it's not just me. HMR ammo USED to shoot faster until the manufacturers downloaded it. Any other questions?

Originally Posted By: marcoHornady did WHAT?!!! BS!! Dirty doG. You already asked your last question, and I already answered it with several references. Happy shooting.
smile.gif

Well I just got an A17 last weekend, along with 400 rounds of the A17 ammo to try since they had it. The rifle is a keeper, the ammo isn't. Hdy 17 gr vmax works perfectly in the rifle and is way more accurate. I didn't set up a chrony as the wind probably would have blown it over. I was shooting pretty close range, 30 or 40 yds, so the wind didn't affect groups too much.

Originally Posted By: marcoYou did? I answered the last question I care to from you. Seems you just want to argue because you can't admit you're wrong about Hornady ammo being downloaded.

These small variations in muzzle velocity may be irrelevant. Your test instruments are not the same as the factory may use, atmospheric conditions may be much different and the barrels are not the same barrel. Seems to me to be an exercise in futility. Too many variables to arrive a any meaningful conclusion.

Back