N. Nevada ground squirrel shoot

callcrazyaz

Dwane [me son] & I started our 2015 squirrel trip at 5;00am for the 10 hr. drive to northern Nevada. We arrived at the ranch around 3;00pm ,stopping to see Shawn the owner he tells us about all the good fields & off we go for some fun. Our plan is to shoot here until sun down then spend the night in Battle Mountain then own to Orovada the next morrning, we used 22 lr & 17 hmr on the first fields with most shots under 150 yds. as the babys were up in force, some times 6 to 8 on one mound , a great 3 hrs shooting.
The next morning we're on the road early 95 miles to Jim's farm then 25mi. the shooting site. Jim showed us around for a while then we pulled up on a feild that looked like it was moving ! We set up our gear next to my truck with Jim about 75 yds away. Shooting started about 9 am with only 2 or 3 moves around the field , again 22 & 17 hmr . I have never seen so meany squeek on one field ! We camped on this ranch & went back to the same field the next morning , shooting 7am to 4;30 pm and only covering 1/2 of the other side.
Driving the 120 miles back th Battle Mountain for the night. we were up at early ;30 going back to Shawns place for 7 hrs. of the most fun shooting squirrel we have ever had. Heading toward home around 4pm with an over nighter in Beatty Nv. we made it home about noon on Dwanes daughters 21 birthday, as you can see this was a short fast trip but the best ever. I shot 1832 rounds 22lf -17hmr- 17hornet
17 fireball- 223 I think Dwane shot close to 2000 mixed with the same calibers
Thanks for reading Joe

It would be interesting to see some photos of your victims, your set-up for shooting, and your weapons. It sure sounded like a whole lot of fun. Each of you got in more shooting in a couple days than I do in about 4 years. However, all of my shooting is done with rifles that are either .17 Remington, a .204 Ruger, or a .22-250. I know early on in the PD season I could sure use one of those little rimfire rifles, but haven't taken any of my .22 RF rifles along yet.

Thanks for sharing the details of your hunt and if you get the time, please post more information about your rifles and some photos.

Silverfox. are guns are nothing special, We both shoot about the same thing Rugar 10-22
savage 93r17 17 hmr -savage 25 17 hornet- rem sps 17 fireball rem mod 7 -223 we use Biggame benches form Cabelas This video is from N. california but it's all the same type shooting

Last edited:
:)Thanks for sharing your Hunt--Wow!!! sure would be fun to do that one time---Our Snow Has finality left temps in high 30's to 50's Spring is here---Sure enjoyed your Post
svb

TO ANYONE WHO IS IN NEED TO SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT YOU REALLY NEED TO GO GIVE THIS SQUIRREL (RAT) SHOOT A TRY , I HAD SOOO MUCH FUN WITH MY DAD (CALLCRAZY AZ) WE ENDED UP SHOOTING CLOSE TO 5000 ROUNDS IN 4 DAYS OF SHOOTING . IM GUESSING AROUND 60-70 PERCENT KILLS AS SO MANY WERE VERY CLOSE LITERALLY I SHOT ONE AT ABOUT 7-8 FEET WITH MY 17 FIRE BALL HAHA.

AGAIN GUYS REALLY CHECK OUT THIS AREA THE RANCHERS WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HAVE SO MANY MORE KILLED THEY JUST SEEM TO GET FAT ON THE POISON THEY PUT OUT.

DAD IM READY TO GO BACK ONCE YOU GET ALL MY STUFF RELOADED LOL. LOVE YA AND THANKS FOR A GREAT TIME.

YOU RATS BETTER WATCH OUT A GOT A NEW 17HMR AND A 17-223 UPPER ON THE WAY...SEE MY SIGNATURE IT IS THE TRUTH

DWANE

First post. This subject popped up and I had to comment. I live in Las Vegas, and I got a call from some farmer contacts up in Eureka, NV to invite me to shoot ground squirrels last month. Holy Cow, haven't had that much fun in ages. My daughter and I set up a table on the edge of a center pivot alfalfa field and shot for about 5 hours. I had a lot of different rifles, but the easy winner is a scoped 17HMR. At 100 yards, the "thwack" of the hit is as loud as the gun going off. Just because she needed some trigger time, my daughter broke out her 243 and put down a dozen of them. No fun sitting at the table next to her when a real rifle goes off. It was totally worth the sunburn I got from no hat or sunscreen.

It was a five hour drive from Las Vegas, and I would have gone back the next day.

Originally Posted By: NoPetaThere are also some great ground squirrel shooting just a bit north of Tonopah also.

We went up that way, is your spot up near the gold mine?
Joe

Bet it cost ya an arm and leg with the price of 22 ammo
scared.gif

Back