Coyote hunting in Maine...

Hey all you Mainiacs!

I just got home from a week of hare hunting in the Bingham area on the Plum Creek property.
I head up there every year with the dogs for that, and every so often deer hunt over in Glenburn.
You guys have an awesome state for sure. I ran into a guy coyote calling this year, and another running dogs for them.
I'm heading back up in October, and plan on bringing my predator hunting gear. Found a few spots with some good coyote sign.

I snapped this picture on my way up to Jackman last week.
Figured it would keep you guys motivated.

IMAG0696_zpscc3777ae.jpg

Still a little early. Prob make my first stand in a long time next month. Not sure yet how the population is looking, seems down some in my area but they don't exactly stand around to be counted either.

way to go Skinnerme, I'm also out about every day in the am. I've got 3 so far this year and a couple that i called in but couldn't get a shot. I'm running out of spots close by me. i go out to new spots and think i'm going to find virgin territory but there are people in those spots that are hunting also.
don

Bump.....My baits just got hit for the first time this season in the last 18 hours or so.

How's everyone else's sites looking?

Good luck

I went up to camp over New Years to prospect beaver for bait and ended up spotting a dog a half mile off heading up lake. By the time I got my gear together and was set up to call, it was closer to 3/4 of a mile away. I fired up the Alpha Dogg and made a bit of movement on the shoreline as I got into position laying behind some rocks on the beach. The coyote came in on a string to around 80 yards. 7mm08 finished her off. Small female.

I've been putting bait out, but they really hadn't started to hit it until this past week. I think the snow was helping drive them to the lake. Nothing to the bait this weekend, but the boys at the other end of the lake managed 3. Hoping to get back at them this weekend.

finally got another. back in January I had one come in behind me . I just saw it out the corner of my eye and it stopped. neither of us moved for about a minute.it was just out of my scent stream, then it woke up and was gone, no shot. this one came in a long way across a field and ran right to mojo. sure is good to have some action. going again tomorrow looking for her mate. she weighed 31.3 lbs

Last edited:
http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t536/donlynch13/DSCN0398_zpsgafdivhj.jpg having a tough time with this computer. got this one after being on stand 68minutes. it was cool first called in a nice tom and had all kinds of turkey sounds going on. probably got the attention of this girl. she came in right to the mojo. ist shot missed, panic, but then the fury switched to pup dist 3 and that stopped her at 125 yds then I smacked her, I give up on this picture posting, it never co
DSCN0398_zpsgafdivhj.jpg
don

Last edited:
DSCN0402_zps3dbosohv.jpg
got another today, he came in at the 3 minute mark. came racing across the field at 10:00am. he jumped all around the decoy, shot him at 75yds It was very cool. he weighed 38lbs 12oz. Looks like I'm getting this picture posting. this guy was cool,he wanted the decoy and wanted to get out of there at the same time. he was jumping 3 feet one way then 4 feet the other. can't believe I hit him,I'd have been bummin if I missed don

Last edited:
I have been pretty lucky lately. on the 18th, I called one in and shot it, but a little far back, It fell just behind the high ground. I sat for another 45 minutes looking for another. well when I went out to look at it there was no coyote, nuts! but there was a pretty good blood trail, but at times it petered out and I almost gave up. then I'd find another good patch and go on. then I got into a swamp and found good blood where it laid down between the hummachs. I was a bit into the swamp when suddenly he reared up about 12' from me and started to growl and bark. of course I had left my rifle at the truck so I had to go back to the truck and get it. when I got back to the swamp the coyote had moved. I looked a bit and he rose up again growled again about 10' away. this time I shot him and got the job done. he weighed 33lbs. It was a very cool experience, the original shot was 176yds
DSCN0406_zpsb3uitsoi.jpg
don

Last edited:
I'm on a roll, got another yesterday. I was on the set at about 0415 and at about the 20minute mark I was looking to my left and when I turned back to the right I saw a coyote just leaving the call and decoy. it was trotting right to left pretty fast at about 80yds, I tried woofing her 5 or 6 times but no luck, I think she had got my scent from the call and decoy. anyway I decided to go for it I made a good on the run shot and when she tried to get up I whacked her again. I'm slowly learning after loosing one a couple of days ago cause I didn't shoot when it was trying to get up
DSCN0410_zpswlkitwly.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donlynchI'm on a roll, got another yesterday. I was on the set at about 0415 and at about the 20minute mark I was looking to my left and when I turned back to the right I saw a coyote just leaving the call and decoy. it was trotting right to left pretty fast at about 80yds, I tried woofing her 5 or 6 times but no luck, I think she had got my scent from the call and decoy. anyway I decided to go for it I made a good on the run shot and when she tried to get up I whacked her again. I'm slowly learning after loosing one a couple of days ago cause I didn't shoot when it was trying to get up
DSCN0410_zpswlkitwly.jpg

What caliber rifle are you using? Also what part of maine are you hunting in? I have family in York, Maine. So im kinda familiar with the Northeast.

Congrats ! You've got it figured out, don't hesitate to give them the second shot. You don't have to look for them that way !

I'm shooting a savage Axis 22-250, and I'm up near Bucksport. a week ago I hit one hard and then watched as it tried to get up. I had plenty of time to shoot, but it went down so hard I thought there's no way it's getting up. well it did, and I can't find it even though I've looked pretty hard. I'm a slow learner but I think I've got it now. don

Back