First can advice

tex223

I know nearly nothing about cans except I want one. Was thinking about going with an omega with an extra 5.56 front cap for a 5.56, a blackout, and a 260. Does anyone have any advice on this? Pros, cons, and alternative choices.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: erikc838The omega is a great can and would serve on multiple platforms. I just ordered one myself.

I just did the same thing.

As far as Pros/Cons go:
Pros - Small and light weight
Made by SilencerCo which looks to be a solid company that will be around for a while in case you ever have a warranty issue
IMHO excellent suppression for the size/weight
Can be direct thread or quick detach
Seems to be well constructed
Good price for the product (at least IMO)

Cons
The QD (ASR) mount is good, but not excellent if you chose not to go with direct thread.
Although it is well constructed, cans such as the Saker or Specwar look to be built stronger. Still, this can will probably outlive you.

One of the other suppressors that I really like are the Dead Air Sandman. Dead Air hasn't been around long enough to get a lot of reviews, but one of the co-founders and one of the engineers for SilencerCo started Dead Air. The QD system on them appears to be the best out there.

The omega is a great can for a large ## of uses. However if your going to be doing precision shooting with your 260 look to the SAS Barricade. You can use it for your 556 shooting as long as your not doing Mag dumps, continuously. It will take 10-15 rds per minute sustained rate fire. With the TOMB system it would take 30 seconds or less to move the can from 260 to AR.

Spec's
6.5 Cal
10oz
6.2"
1.45' dia
35db.
here is a link to SAS video:
SAS FACE Book papge.
Scroll down at 3-4 post.
This is a game changing can.

Here is a link to a discussion on Snipers Hide:
Snipers Hide thread on the Barricade

And a Dealer that has them on the Hide:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=541&f=5559&t=13773194

Tim at SAS is a Suppressor genius. This new design on the baffles make a 6" can quieter then the 9" Arbiter. He was the first to design a TOMB Thread over Muzzle Brake system. next to no POI shift, Locks up great, Better interface between Suppressor and brake then suppressor and shoulder of barrel.

I know I'm new to this site, but I've been on the hide for years.
If you have more questions PM me and I will be glad to answer any and all your questions.

Last edited:
The Blackout means you are married to a 30cal can. I would look at the SAS Resistor or Reaper. Both are available in the TOMB system that has been in service for over a decade and built ground up as a precision can, lightweight Titanium, 300WM rated and little or no POI shift. If the Blackout was not in the mix I agree totally with RangerWalker on the SAS Barricade. It is absolutely going to change the suppressor industry.

Another thing I would add to a newbie is be very leery of a "value" in the suppressor world. Its pretty much a lifetime investment and if you can only afford one, buy a quality suppressor that can be ran on all your guns. That's why I can't say enough good about the TOMB system and a .30cal can from SAS. If you mostly hunt look at the Reaper. Shoot a bunch look at the Arbiter or Resistor. You WILL be happy you did!

Originally Posted By: Kino MAnother thing I would add to a newbie is be very leery of a "value" in the suppressor world. Its pretty much a lifetime investment and if you can only afford one, buy a quality suppressor that can be ran on all your guns. That's why I can't say enough good about the TOMB system and a .30cal can from SAS. If you mostly hunt look at the Reaper. Shoot a bunch look at the Arbiter or Resistor. You WILL be happy you did!

I am a newb to suppressors, but not to researching products. Besides guns, my other big interest outside of family is diesel trucks. Db ratings are much like dyno numbers in that if the numbers don't come the same gun, same ammo, same range, same weather, etc., they don't mean a whole lot. At least for me, third parties testing multiple products under the exact same conditions is the best marketing out there. Besides Db reduction, I would guess POI, precision/accuracy are important features for the people on this forum since it is geared towards hunting.....well it seems like weight is also important to most people here. We all have to look at how we plan to use the suppressor so that we can make the best decision possible. For example, for tactical/SHTF purposes, I want a small and light weight suppressor and Db reduction isn't the primary concern. For hunting purposes, I could care less about weight because I am use to carrying a lot more weight a few miles or more in the woods. For others, that may be their primary concern. Finally, there is durability and warranty. Although I think there are several excellent manufactures of suppressors, a lifetime warranty doesn't help if the companies out of business.

Originally Posted By: B585Originally Posted By: Kino MAnother thing I would add to a newbie is be very leery of a "value" in the suppressor world. Its pretty much a lifetime investment and if you can only afford one, buy a quality suppressor that can be ran on all your guns. That's why I can't say enough good about the TOMB system and a .30cal can from SAS. If you mostly hunt look at the Reaper. Shoot a bunch look at the Arbiter or Resistor. You WILL be happy you did!

I am a newb to suppressors, but not to researching products. Besides guns, my other big interest outside of family is diesel trucks. Db ratings are much like dyno numbers in that if the numbers don't come the same gun, same ammo, same range, same weather, etc., they don't mean a whole lot. At least for me, third parties testing multiple products under the exact same conditions is the best marketing out there. Besides Db reduction, I would guess POI, precision/accuracy are important features for the people on this forum since it is geared towards hunting.....well it seems like weight is also important to most people here. We all have to look at how we plan to use the suppressor so that we can make the best decision possible. For example, for tactical/SHTF purposes, I want a small and light weight suppressor and Db reduction isn't the primary concern. For hunting purposes, I could care less about weight because I am use to carrying a lot more weight a few miles or more in the woods. For others, that may be their primary concern. Finally, there is durability and warranty. Although I think there are several excellent manufactures of suppressors, a lifetime warranty doesn't help if the companies out of business.

Some things to keep in mind with your "research" is that the two places you referred (Silencershop and Capital Armory) to are SOT retail dealers that sell AAC and Silincerco suppressors. They are NOT third party unbiased testers. I wish there actually was a legitimate unbiased third party testor and if you find one let me know!

Now from a guy that carried multiple weapon systems for a living as an Infantryman for Uncle Sugar, I wished your statements above was true!
Military use requires something that can handle high rates of fire. That is where the heavy stainless steel and inconel shines. Titanium starts to fail after 800 degrees and doesn't do well for high rates or full auto fire so you might want to re evaluate your SHTF thoughts or choice!

As for a hunting/precision suppressor, lightweight titanium is the best available and offers the least POI shift when compared to the other materials. You should rethink your hunting choice as well! Think of the end of your barrel as a fulcrum, the more weight on the other side of the point of attachment has more adverse effect...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: B585Originally Posted By: Kino MAnother thing I would add to a newbie is be very leery of a "value" in the suppressor world. Its pretty much a lifetime investment and if you can only afford one, buy a quality suppressor that can be ran on all your guns. That's why I can't say enough good about the TOMB system and a .30cal can from SAS. If you mostly hunt look at the Reaper. Shoot a bunch look at the Arbiter or Resistor. You WILL be happy you did!

Some things to keep in mind with your "research" is that the two places you referred (Silencershop and Capital Armory) to are SOT retail dealers that sell AAC and Silincerco suppressors. They are NOT third party unbiased testers. I wish there actually was a legitimate unbiased third party testor and if you find one let me know!

Now from a guy that carried multiple weapon systems for a living as an Infantryman for Uncle Sugar, I wished your statements above was true!
Military use requires something that can handle high rates of fire. That is where the heavy stainless steel and inconel shines. Titanium starts to fail after 800 degrees and doesn't do well for high rates or full auto fire so you might want to re evaluate your SHTF thoughts or choice!

As for a hunting/precision suppressor, lightweight titanium is the best available and offers the least POI shift when compared to the other materials. You should rethink your hunting choice as well! Think of the end of your barrel as a fulcrum, the more weight on the other side of the point of attachment has more adverse effect...

That was an excellent post IMO. I couldn't agree more that having true, completely unbiased testing would be great. Unfortunately, much like trucks, you almost never see that. Your point about the Silencer Shop, Capitol Armory, etc. are well taken. If they are comparing ONLY products that they are dealers for, the info should be as close to unbiased as we are most likely going to get. I do really like their comparisons for the same company. At the same time, I acknowledge their testing may not be completely standardized with industry standards, but if each suppressor is tested in the exact same fashion, that should provide at least some reasonable level of comparison.

I 100% agree with you on military applications. I should have been more specific on my post about tactical. I am now a civilian and at this age/point in my life, I think I will remain a civilian until I die; therefore, for me, tactical basically is referring to home defense. In those cases, I want maneuverability first and foremost. I suspect that is the case with most people on here since this is primarily a hunting forum, but I could be wrong.

I should also clarify that for hunters, precision and accuracy is everything!!! My point before was simply I will gladly sacrifice a little heavier/longer suppressor if the accuracy is superior. My primary large caliber hunting gun weighs 15 lbs IIRC. It is extremely accurate so the weight doesn't both me a bit. I think for most on this forum, weight is important so I am not the norm regarding weight. Also, perhaps I will find that heavy weight on the front does hurt my shooting at long range. My only experience with a "heavy" suppressor is a friend's Specwar. I didn't mind it and it didn't seem to hurt my shooting, but the range was only 200 yards and I only shot roughly 40 rounds so perhaps at longer distances, I would have ran into problems. I will keep your advice in mind for my future long range applications about weight.

Last edited:
BTW I drive a 15' Duramax, hope that was a good choice but only time will tell if it was as good as my 06' LBZ!

Originally Posted By: B585Originally Posted By: Kino MAnother thing I would add to a newbie is be very leery of a "value" in the suppressor world. Its pretty much a lifetime investment and if you can only afford one, buy a quality suppressor that can be ran on all your guns. That's why I can't say enough good about the TOMB system and a .30cal can from SAS. If you mostly hunt look at the Reaper. Shoot a bunch look at the Arbiter or Resistor. You WILL be happy you did!

On db reduction and getting BS numbers. Tim at SAS uses milspec standards and meter.
B&K 2209 meter, 1.6 meters high 1 meter to the left of the wepaon. On line with the bore.
There is also specs about vegetation as well, but I won't boar you with that.
Not all manufacturers use the same specs, so their numbers look better. If you asked me to help you choose a can for,your needs, i would say" SAS Arbitor, if your shooting a 6.5 cal or less the Barricade. They both meet or exceed all your needs.
Accuracy, little to poi shift, great interface between brake and suppressor, larger surface area between the two equals better accuracy.
Arbitor is 12.4 ozs 9"
Barricade is 10ozs 6"

SAS cans have a great tone, it's slightly different then most, flat and lower. It is more appealing to me. Not factual based, just IMHO.

Both are ready to form 3 as well.

Secondly TBAC.
The Ultra series in a 7" model in the Cb which a brake attach can.
8.7oz, 7"
Ready in Aug or so to your dealer.
Good can accurate, light, on pare with SAS, lag in production is the biggest issue.
Both cans would meet or acceed your needs. Your not going. To go wrong with either one.
When you purchase a suppressor I beleive in "buy once cry once."
With the amount of time and money put into the purchase get a quality precision can.
It's not a normal firearms purchase.
I own several brands of cans, SAS tbac, Yhm, gem tech, SF, AAC, SICO, GRIFFIN. I shoot the SAS the most, then SICO 22lr cans, and TBAC. Each tailored to a secific mission. If I had to grab one can and one wepaon to go off to war.... AI AXMC with 308 barrel, and the Arbitor.
Just my thoughts.
RLTW
STEVE

Last edited:
I know this is an older post, but great info. Currently, in rifle cans I have a Saker, Omega, TBAC 9" ultra, SF 6.8 SOCOM. The 6.8 can is permanently parked on a LWRC 6.8 Razorback with Gen 3 NV. The Omega is on a 308 LMT with FLIR RS64 thermal and gets moved between that and a 300 BLK. The TBAC just came in and is planned for my custom 300WM build. The Saker is sitting on a 6.5 Creedmoor LMT but it is so heavy sitting out on the end of the barrel... The 6.5 is currently my go to pig gun, actually just my "go to" due to excellent performance, excellent suppression with almost no recoil in this platform. I use LaRue mounts and switch between an IR Defense thermal and a NF NXS. I think a Barricade 6.5 is the ticket there for sure. I like the reviews and everything I hear about SAS but no dealers near me that I can see in West Texas. My main use is hog hunting which I do a couple times per month. Some coyotes, deer, range work as well. Have had some minor issues with gas blowback in my face with my cans on AR's. The SCAR was the worst! So much gas blowback with 2 shots that all the remaining rounds in the magazine were black and if I didn't have glasses on my eyes would burn. (Yes, I know I should wear eye protection but in the real world out hunting at night, I don't always do that). I get so much gas blowing back that the guns get super dirty, even the piston guns. Is there a way to avoid this?

Anyway, wanting another 7.62 can to move around between 5.56/6.5/6.8/308 AR's. I tend to take friends and family out often so it's nice to suppress everything. I hardly ever shoot unsuppressed anymore and really don't shoot my guns that aren't equipped with cans. Although many of the cans I have are modular, i don't like moving them around all that much. The Saker was my first Can and I bought a bunch of brakes, flash hiders, end caps, etc but it can be a pain to remove sometimes.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the newer Dead Air Sandman series, specifically the Ti direct thread. The QD (Sandman L) looks to have a better mounting system than the Saker but is just as heavy. I'm looking at Dead Air because there are no minimum barrel lengths and I'm wanting to get into a couple SBR's. Thanks

Back