.223 1 in 12 twist reloading

reg088

Hey guys im new to the shooting scene and looking at getting into my own reloading ive been using the buffalo river 55gr sierra blitzking factory ammo but looking to increase my accuracy at the range and wondering what has worked for you guys. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

You 1/12 will work well with most bullet weights between 40gr and 60gr...I'm not sure what powders you have available 'down under', but I've had good results with Ramshot's X-Terminator for the lighter ones and Ramshot's TAC for the heavier ones...Winchester 748 will cover the whole range, as will BL-C2, Benchmark and Varget...

Welcome to the site and we will be interested in your future results..

This is in a 20 inch Remington 700 SPS Tactical and some targets with various loads...

100 Yards, 40gr

200 yards, 60gr, the square is 1"

Originally Posted By: bushyI have a cz 527 with a 12 twist and it loves 40 through 53 gr bullets and benchmark for powder.

I have a 527 also and agree with Bushy! Great/fun little rifle too!

The 55g Sierra Blitz king is made on a match grade jacket, unlike a lot a lot of bullets. They are capable of extreme accuracy.

If you are wanting to increase your accuracy, then tweeking the Over all length to touch the lands or just barely off the lands will be critical. A Davidson's ogive gauge or a Stony point Hornady ogive gauge with calipers are necessary.

I have had fantastic accuracy with 748, Benchmark, N-135, H322, and others with the 1-12 in the 223, 22/250, and 22/250 AI.

My 1-12 527 shoots well with 40 45 50 and 55gr using Varget and H335.Never tried any lighter or heavier than them.I like Sierra bullets.

Factory ammo for the 1-12 twist, I would try the Fiocchi 40 and 50 gr vmax loads. One or both will be a economical and better barrel/ammo combo.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootFactory ammo for the 1-12 twist, I would try the Fiocchi 40 and 50 gr vmax loads. One or both will be a economical and better barrel/ammo combo.

I know he wants to reload but I have been very, very impressed with the factory Fiocchi Extrema 50gr V-Max ammo I've been purchasing for $.50 per round and it's accuracy. I'm getting under 3/4 MOA, from .560"-.640" consistently, while fire forming this ammo in my .223AI. The brass is annealed nicely and other than the occasional off center flash hole in the primer pocket, it seems to be pretty decent brass to use for reloading. I'll see how may firings I can get out of this brass over time to know for sure just how good the brass is for reloading. I'm getting 3100-3200 FPS with it (the 50gr) out of my 26" barrel.

Oldturtle has some great handloads,, but I thought you ask about factory also. Hornady has some really good factory stuff. Blackhills and then Federal. What oldturtle suggested, would almost be almost the same as I have done. Benchmark, W748, Ranshot, IMR 8208, and even RE7 in that order for me in my Gun. The sierras and the Nosler BTs the same, then Hornady. Stay within 40 to 60 grain.
In a 1-12 twist you can get away with a 70 grain like Hornady tactical.... BUT this is only to 100yds It won;t be a 1/2" group more like 1"-1 1/2" but after that it will open up too much.

Back