Lead free 17 cal bullets for 17Rem, 17HH, etc?...

DiRTY DOG

California just passed a ban on lead for hunting. It will be enforced in whole or part as soon as next year but probably not until 2016-17, we don't know yet. But it SHALL be in full effect by 2019.

What do you 17cal shooters plan on doing with your hunting rifles? What would you do if you lived in CA? It's hard enough to get good hunting bullets right now, I don't see manufacturers making 17cal lead free a priority.

I ordered a custom 17Rem rifle for predators before this lead free law passed (had no idea it was coming). I have 2000 Hornady 25gr HPs and enough powder and primers stockpiled. My rifle is almost done, and now I have a dilema...

Do I enjoy my new match grade 17Rem for a year or two (or three?) until the lead ban is enforced, and then sell it used?

Or do I sell it unfired (and the components) and build something else in a caliber with a better selection of lead free bullets?

Thoughts?

Enjoy it While you can. Then Sell or re-barrel it. Hornady Makes the 17 Cal NTX in loaded rounds. maybe they will start offering it in components.

Yes agree a little small. Hornady loads is in the 17 Hornet also @ 3870 more of a Varmint round though. Was thinking mabey they will start making an NTX type in a heavier 17 cal 25 gr like the NTX components for the 204 and 224.

Originally Posted By: AubreyD.Man dude that sucks so hard. I would just move.

Sounds like the best advise of them all. Get to keep using lead bullets and getting out of Commiefornia. Works for me.

I was thinking of a 17 rem also until I saw there were no lead free bullets to choose from. Since you've got it ordered and its almost done and you've got all those bullets, I'd enjoy it while you can. There's always the option of using it out of state. I'm sure there will be more bullet options once the law takes effect.

do not dispare as long as there are people like me and rg henson of bullets bullets we will have 17 caliber bullets. they will be coming from ohter 17 caliber indapendent bullet makers as well but in short there will be bullets. you can use tin/white metal/ solid copper/ aluminum and so on for cores. you just have to think outside the box

Sounds like when the law goes into affect then you need to send me the rifle and bullets and I will shoot it for you DiRTY DOG. LOL!! That stinks for you. It gives you one more reason besides no water to move a little farther east.

I think Dirty Dog is already gone from California (this thread is a bit old). I recently tested out some Lehigh Defense .172 bullets that worked out pretty well. Had fun smoking ground squirrels in the Condor Zone, so that was also a plus!

I'm in Idaho next year, so my stash of a few thousand 15.5 grain NTX bullets (blems from Hornady) will probably be sold to friends who I leave behind.

Eric
cool.gif

Back