Center Point scopes

pyscodog

First off, don't roast me, its only temporary till I get some funds saved back up. But after reading review after review, I purchased one at Wal-Mart. (Kept the receipt too) Its going on the Sweet 16 I bought today so recoil should not be a problem. With the exception of the glass not the best, the reviews were actually really good. Do any of you use them or at least tried the? After mounting the scope in a Nikon mount, I thought the glass looked decent for a cheap scope.

Mark2- kinda where I'm at. Unless it just turns out to be good enough. Looking at the Nikon 223 for the future. (payday)

Last edited:
My hunting partner had one on his 25-06 for six years. He was planning on upgrading as soon as he could but ended up like the scope quite a bit. He recently bought a 17hmr and moved it to that gun and got a vortex for his '06. He still uses the CP scope regularly with zero complaints. While the '06 is not a real high recoil rifle, The scope has seen hundreds of rounds and has never been babied when hunting and keeps on ticking so it gets my approval for a good budget scope. Just my opinion.

Shelton

Originally Posted By: pyscodogFirst off, don't roast me, its only temporary till I get some funds saved back up.

Psychodog, even if it's permanent, that's fine as long as it does what you need it to do.
Don't let "big spender naysayesrs" get in the way if you want to give it a try.
You may not know if it will work for your purpose until you try it. And, you are right,
there are a lot of good reviews on the scope. That's why I tried it.

I purchased mine, a 4x16 at Walmart, for something like $69 if I remember correctly.
I put it on a Marlin Thumbhole .17 HMR and the scope is doing very well. I have had it
for three or four years and it's still going strong. It serves my purpose plenty good enough.

I could have spent a lot more money for a different scope, but this scope has been great for my use.
I like the looks of it too.

I bought the same scope 6mm06. Actually looking out the door into the field across the street, the glass is pretty clear. I'm hoping it lives up to it reputation. Figure I'll put it on the 17 Hornet after I give it a range test on the AR.

I also have a Centerpoint 4-16x44 wally mart deal on one of my AR15s. Its been on .223 up to a 7-08 with no issues.
Guess what scope won a local steel shoot this weekend out to 800 yards....yup a $129 BSA 6-24x44 30mm tubed scope from midwayusa on a home built Savage 6mmXC same scope as I have.
I talked to the guy Monday at the range and said you cant use that brand since everyone said they are junk....hahaha we just laughed.

Nothing wrong with an inexpensive scope as long as it does what you need it to do.
When I bought my 10-22 back in the mid 90's, I put a $39 Simmons 8 point scope on it with the intention of upgrading later. 20 years and thousands of rounds later, it is still on there. Not for long though as it no longer holds zero.

I have a Nikon Buckmasters setting on the bench that will go on it when I find time to mount it and sight it in.
The biggest difference you will see in a higher end scope is better performance in low light. For the price, Nikon has the best glass on the market IMHO. Decades of camera lens manufacturing served them well when they expanded in to rifle scopes

I got a Counterpoint 4x16 in a trade and tossed it in the spare parts box. My son then bought an AR 15 varminter. Needing a scope quick, he mounted the CP temporarily. He was pleased with its performance and simply left it there. It has been on the rifle about 10 years. When I offered to buy him a higher priced scope for Christmas, he just said, "It still works fine."

On way home from a local gun show with a sporterized military rifle that needed a scope, remembered some cheapo brand scope Wal Mart had begun to sell a few months before. So, stopped and bought the Center Point 4-16. Still have it and its been on at least 6 different rifles. Darn thing will not go bad. Never cared that much for its optics, but was decent enough for my paper shooting.

I have had one on of of my AR's for over 4 years now. Not as clear as the higher end ones but I have never seen a need to replace it. I think I just may try one on my 308 I just bought.

Last edited:
I was pretty impressed with the cheap little scope. Moved when I wanted it to and was really clear at 100 yds, also like that it would focus at 25 yds where some won't. It would a great rimfire scope for up close shots. Need to stretch it out and see how well it works.

From what I understand, most of the Center Point line was originally designed for use on Air Rifles, which have a more extreme 'shock' factor due to the action of shooting them and the 'recoil' was damaging most common lower priced optics...True or not, I don't know..

When I put one of my less expensive optics on my .308 when I first got it, the scope that normally worked well on a .223 was apparently broken with the heavier recoil, as I could not achieve any kind of a group with normally good factory ammo...I wound up installing a Center Point 4-16x due to the recoil reputation for $65 and have been happy with it for the intended purposes...and it was immediately available...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleFrom what I understand, most of the Center Point line was originally designed for use on Air Rifles, which have a more extreme 'shock' factor due to the action of shooting them and the 'recoil' was damaging most common lower priced optics...True or not, I don't know..

When I put one of my less expensive optics on my .308 when I first got it, the scope that normally worked well on a .223 was apparently broken with the heavier recoil, as I could not achieve any kind of a group with normally good factory ammo...I wound up installing a Center Point 4-16x due to the recoil reputation for $65 and have been happy with it for the intended purposes...and it was immediately available...

That speaks very well for a $65 scope. I too had heard the Centerpoint scopes were made for air rifles.
Like you, I don't know if that's true or not, but regardless, they seem to work very well. I like mine.

Hey David--as always good comments. Shame you can't go to the PI with me this year--lots of daga (rats) need killin' there.

Love my CP's. Have them on a couple 22's, and even put one of the newer 2X's on my Ruger Mk III recently. Found an old Tasco Stoney Point target turret fit it perfectly and it's one of my favorite super-compact 2X pistol scopes now-

had a centerpoint on my 10/22 for a couple years. the IR was awful (too bright on lowest setting for night use) and it was like having a lead pipe strapped to the top of the gun. the glass was VERY dark. abut as useful as b00bs on a bull for anything after dark.

it got me through in a pinch when i couldn't afford anything else, held zero and is currently on a neighbor's 30-06 killing deer.

they're a step up from tasco and bsa IMHO, but i wouldnt say by much. serviceable but not spectacular.

Back