Baiting Hogs

Finally look what showed up at my new bait. Only took 10 days.
smile.gif
He came in twice. Nice sized boar.

Boar4.jpg

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Machias, Sorry to hear about the bad evening. As previously mentioned, it will be good for you to have your own bait site and get away from those guys.

Gman, Do you have to purchase a plan just for using the camera? My cell phone is AT&T, so I'm wondering if the camera will transmit directly to my phone on the current plan I already have.

You will need to set up an AT&T Go-Phone text only account for the camera. They will give you a sim card and it will have it's own phone number just like a cell phone. The text only account is a pay as you go type plan and does not require any type of contract commitment.

There are some other options now with the new cameras coming out. Some already have a sim card installed and there are various plans available from HCO Outdoors. You might give them a call as they can give you a lot more detailed information than me.

I had planned on hunting Friday and Saturday night but the only wind I cannot hunt that stand is a north wind and about 9 pm on Friday night it swung around and has been blowing out of the North for the past two days. Finally have a good wind tomorrow night. I'll be in my stand for an all night sit starting at 8pm. Going to try and smoke one with the bow with the hopes it won't spook the others too much and eventually they come back in. They still never went back to the first bait spot that a couple were shot at.

Ok, the frustration level hit a new high last night. I got into my stand at 7pm. At 11pm had a whole bunch of hogs come past the bait at about 15 to 20 yards. I just knew I was about to get a shot with my bow. They were so close I could clearly hear one shake his head and his ears flop back and forth and one scratched his side on a tree for about a minute. But none walked into the bait. The night before I have them on camera being at the bait site for over an hour, about 25 of them. I did have 2 deer and a coon come in and feed while I was there. Severly underdressed last night and shivered bad for about 3 hours. I could see my breath on the walk back to the truck at 2am. Got home at 3 and up for work at 6. I'm getting too old for this.
smile.gif

I decided to get out last night and set up at one of my feeders. This lone boar popped out of the woods to my right very close to me and by the time I turned off my thermal scanner and went to the scope he was not there. I had taken a 35mm scope with a 12 degree FOV which was too tight for this setup.

I just sat still because I knew if he was there he was very close, and after about 30 to 45 seconds he walked right into my scope FOV. I let him take a few steps and then popped him with a 110 grain Nosler Accubond.

BYQmq2u.jpg

Last edited:
Back