Called in a beautiful Cougar taken with my bow

Originally Posted By: BobtheCatGreat Job on both cats. That is quite an accomplishment to be the first to take a cat with a bow since the reopening.

Thanks I hunted my butt off. Just finished an interview with a local writer who is going to have my story published in the local paper.

Also, I am hoping to get the Game and Fish in SD to allow an archery only season for these cats too. Maybe my accomplishment will help convince them of allowing a separate season?

Congrats, i went out my first time 3 or 4 weeks ago. Bad timing it was 25-30 mph winds and light but blowing snow for two of the days and i am unfamiliar with the hills. But it was good exercise, we found an old set of tracks a rub and what we thought was a very fresh set of tracts but we couldnt tell if it was a bobcat or lion. There were about 2.25 2.5 inches wide. It was our last day when we found them so we moved on looking for a sure set of tracts with no luck. Cant wait to go back.

Nice. I left SD in 2005 and it would figure they would have the first season the year I left. I was suppose to go cal for a buddy of mine this year but it did not work out, maybe enxt year.

rnream that is too bad... It has quickly become my favorite hunting season. The challenges involved in getting a lion can be remarkable. I have been successful with three different approached towards hunting them. I have taken my first one with spot and stalk, second one by calling and I have turned one down once by tracking. Each hunting method presents its own challenges and my knowledge of these animals is slowly increasing. I love it. Hopefully you will get a chance to move back to SD and partake in a new season?

CONGRATULATIONS Sean with your January HOM win, great article and pics. I'm not sure that I would undertake such a venture with a mt. lion using a bow for your weapon.

Originally Posted By: SDHowlerCONGRATULATIONS Sean with your January HOM win, great article and pics. I'm not sure that I would undertake such a venture with a mt. lion using a bow for your weapon.

Thanks but I am not sure what you mean by the HOM win? I am sure that means Hunter of the Month but I believe that I that only people have mentioned nominations. I haven't heard anything else about it. How would I know if I was the HOM winner? I think that would be great if I was.

After having accomplished this now with my bow and a gun, I don't think I will ever pursue one with a gun again unless maybe I crawl in a cave after one and can't shoot it in there with my bow. I am planning on hunting some with my long bow next year. It will depend on the conditions, terrain and areas that I hunting each day I go out? Another neat way to get a lion would be with a spear. Doubt the SDGFP would allow that though? Maybe I could just poke one with an arrow if I crawled in a hole to get it? Talk about scary!!! I bet my 357 would be pointing at the cat at the same time I stabbed it.

Back