Wild Coyote Double!

Joshua, I try ridiculously hard in my resident mountainous area... the most coyotes and coyote sign i've seen have been in the desert or grassland ecosystem (be it red rock to boulder field to sage in these western states, or plains grass to tall reeds in the dakotas). Last year I was fortunate to spend thanksgiving in SD at my girlfriend's fathers farm with neighbors who fancy you coyote hunting on their property. Though we pheasant hunted with the family for most of the time, we were still able to get in 4 incredible stands... stand1) coyote howls, is running circling down wind and out of sight...... stand2) calling for a long time (little over 20 minutes) we had a group of coyotes, but could not tell exactly if there were more than four. Tina had the camera but couldn't find them in the grass. One saw movement and all stopped, so I put my crosshairs on the bigger broadside dog at three hundo and knocked him down. Tina is the only one to witness, and perhaps believed this happened... but I put in another round, saw one of the coyotes taking off straight away from me up the hill following my vertical crosshair. I kind of guessed the distance and got an incredibly lucky "whack sound" back from the distance. stand3) calling at sunrise, moments later tina calls coyote, I have crosshairs on for his whole walk in, he stops, I pull... bolt wasn't clicked all the way down. I clicked it into place, coyote turns, I shoot a very close, trotting shot.... miss, and shot 8 times after that. Pup distress, called in another. Stayed put at about 300 yards, I was dead solid, boom and a miss. stand4) we see a coyote walking a field/crp line right as it sees us, and slowly trots. We get set up about 1/2 mile away, call with short varmint chirps, no more than ten minutes later it comes trotting in through the tall grass on an opposite ridge. At 100 yards, it was going down hill and almost out of range. I stopped it, had it at 24x dead solid on its chest (making sure to hit this God for sake shot).... squeezed slow until I heard the bang... running coyote.

Later I find out... my trusty $100 dollar Tasco Varmint 6-24X42 mil-dot illuminated reticle basically gave up. Yeah I know they are cheap scopes, but it went through my sisters car crash with gun uncased (totaled, she was flown helicopter flight for life to seattle), me falling and dropping it on ice, me landing on it while falling, tina knocking it over while its resting on tailgate.

Now I'm waiting on my postponed-shipped scope- Mueller 8.5-25x44 mil dot, so I can GET TO CALLIN.

MrYoter, nice video and good shooting. I would never question the distance but I do question your statement that you can call uphill or downhill as long as the wind is in your face. I have proved that wrong many, many times over the years.

Back