ER Shaw barrels feedback

I just had one made on a Rem 700 action... 250 ackley in a heavy sporter... Shoots 85gr. NBT into about .8's and is putting the 110 gr. Accubonds in the .7's, all from a rifle weighing less than 7#... I have nothing to complain about and have been very impressed... about 5 week turnaround. I will be buying from them again.

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSI have had ER Shaw in the past and they were hit or miss in the accuracy department. The final straw for me was the [beeep] they tried to pull when they said they own the pattent on spiral fluting so no other manufacturer could spiral flute. Pretty chicken [beeep] in my book I will never order or buy one again. Brux or Rock creek for me from here on out. Alot better barrels out there for not that much more.

This!

Originally Posted By: gil_wyI just had one made on a Rem 700 action... 250 ackley in a heavy sporter... Shoots 85gr. NBT into about .8's and is putting the 110 gr. Accubonds in the .7's, all from a rifle weighing less than 7#... I have nothing to complain about and have been very impressed... about 5 week turnaround. I will be buying from them again.

About a five week turnaround? How long ago did you get it? I was told 8 weeks and are now in th 12th week.

I was quoted 12 weeks and the gun was shipped back to me at the end of the 5th week...Recieved it end of Feb... I purchased it "in the white" so I'm sure that shortened the turnaround time...

My brother had them re-barrel a Mauser 98 in 270 Win.. He gave it to me asked me to try and make it shoot. He was unable to get it to shoot well enough for his liking.

I got it to shoot 2-3" groups at 100 with hand-loads. I suppose many elk were killed with rifles that produce that level of accuracy. I expected better from a professional barrelmaker and gunsmith. Barrel was rough and copper fouled fast, took a lot to really clean it up.

Doesn't take long to put $100 worth of ammo not to mention time through a rifle. I spend my money on barrels with a better reputation now, and IMO much better gunsmiths.

Reminds me of an old saying, "something" like;

Produce a good product and a few will hear about it, produce a POS and hundreds will hear it.

In fairness, that was back in the 80's, and made me distrust them. I heard that they have re-tooled their shop and quality has gotten better.

Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki
I got it to shoot 2-3" groups at 100 with hand-loads. I suppose many elk were killed with rifles that produce that level of accuracy. I expected better from a professional barrelmaker and gunsmith. Barrel was rough and copper fouled fast, took a lot to really clean it up.

I know nothing about ER Shaw barrels. But a few years ago I had a Krieger match barrel installed on a Rem 700. I was guaranteed 1/2" groups from the builder. The first time out the gun shot 1" groups. Disgusted I took it home, cleaned it and set it in the safe where it sat for 2 years. I expected better too, especially from Krieger.

Last summer I took it out to use for varmint hunting. I was shooting a different bullet this time so stopped at the range to sight in. This time the rifle surprised me by shooting 5 shot groups of just under 1/2". Not once but 4 times in a row.

At present I have about 50 rounds through it and I use it every chance I get.

Just because a rifle doesn't shoot well doesn't mean it won't shoot well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joed

joed,

I'm told there is a BIG difference between a Krieger and a Shaw barrel. Even the Criterion's by Krieger, I know there is a price difference.
smile.gif

In my brothers rifle, I tried Sierra, Hornady and Nosler bullets amongst several powders, and primers. That barrel was a POS, IMO, suitable to decorate the garden's tomato plants.

Things might be different now.

I had one and it shot fine. I think they are great for somebody wanting to change calibers in a savage without spending 400.00 on a barrel.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: joed

joed,

I'm told there is a BIG difference between a Krieger and a Shaw barrel. Even the Criterion's by Krieger, I know there is a price difference.
smile.gif

In my brothers rifle, I tried Sierra, Hornady and Nosler bullets amongst several powders, and primers. That barrel was a POS, IMO, suitable to decorate the garden's tomato plants.

Things might be different now.

You mentioned that was over 20 years ago. So why work so hard to turn others off? I have had five or six of their barrels in the last 5 years and have not been disappointed.

Comparing a $100 ER and a $300+ Kreiger is like comparing factory ammo to handloads. Both will be sufficient for taking game. I don't know too many hunters that need 1/4 groups to take their game.

They did have some terrible barrels in the 80's and 90's but they are under new management with new machines now. I had my remington 700 rebarreled in 308 with one of their bull barrels and I can shoot 1/2"-3/4" with it but my buddy can do better. They even build a custom rifle in house now for about a grand.

Reshape is a small company. If you call you talk to the same guy all the time. I've had 14 barreled now from Er shaw. From gunshack.com to a barrel from the to rifles barreled and chambered by them. I love the barrels. I've never had an issue with them. I'll buy from them again before any other

I have 3 of them off the midwayusa site. All of then shoot in the sub moas.
They are a VERY good barrel IMO. Clean easy, do not mine copper and just keep printing small groups on paper. I bore scoped all when new and they were very smooth and sharp end to en
I have no issues with Mine in .223, .243

I forgot to mention that, my barrel also cleans out very well. I cleaned my barrel according to their break in procedure and I haven't had any issues. Also, I did take it out as soon as I got it. Even though it was winter I didn't want to let it sit around until the warm weather.

I've had shilen pacnor Douglas lilja brux and a mcgowen. I've honestly had my best and most consistent groups with my mcgowen and Douglas barrels. Try the shaw and let us know how u like it.

Originally Posted By: devildoggI've had shilen pacnor Douglas lilja brux and a mcgowen. I've honestly had my best and most consistent groups with my mcgowen and Douglas barrels. Try the shaw and let us know how u like it.

I used a E.R. Shaw barrel, ordered from them, for a Savage 16 action, converting it from a factory 22-250 Rem. to a 6mm Rem. It shoots sub-MOA for several different bullets, in several different loads. I used a Shilen Match Grade barrel in 260 Rem., for a second Savage 16 conversion from a factory 204 Ruger. I have yet to find a sub-MOA bullet/load combination for that project. So in my sample of two, I would say the E.R. Shaw barrel was the better barrel. Both clean up like match grade barrels, and I haven't given up hope for the Shilen, but it sure has turned into more work than I expected, in finding a nicely accurate load for it. YMMV.

I originally purchased the E.R. Shaw barrel as an inexpensive experiment to determine if I liked the 6mm Rem., as a cartridge for hunting antelope and deer. My intention was if I liked the cartridge, I would purchase a "match grade" barrel from a higher end barrel maker. The E.R. Shaw barrel surpassed my expectations, and saved me some money, too. If that Shilen barrel doesn't settle down, I may end up spending the money on a Shilen replacement, that I expected to spend for an E.R. Shaw replacement.
rolleyes.gif

Squeeze

Sat down yesterday with my 204 and shot a nice 3 inch 6 shot group. So I picked up my junk and went inside. Sometimes you just have bad days. Days like that are for loading and not shooting.

I've heard too many stories about these top dollar barrels not performing. Even those guys make bad barrels occasionally and I'm not risking my $$$ on it if I can get a Shaw for way cheaper

I tried a 24" sporter contour in 20vt 12 twist. At first I thought it was going to cooper badly but after a hundred rounds or so I think it has potential. I only use it as a walking varminter and just this past week I went 12 for 12 on groundhogs out to 360 yds with it. I am shooting 39 gr sbk @ 3475 fps. For the money I would try one if I were you.

Back