Load Development Rem 788

Blantz23

I've been lurking here for quite a while as well as some other boards. First time posting but had to share. I have been developing a load for my Rem 788, 22-250 and loaded some today with 36.9, 37.0, 37.1. 37.2, 37.3. I couldn't believe my results with 36.9. One holed 3 shots. I'm not sure what to think of 37.0. I shot going clockwise as I increased powder with 37.3 being center.
Thanks for all the help.

=142942990&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0]Picture

First off, Welcome. Next, I would try the 36.9 load to verify. Your less than a grain from your max load. It shoots good and the FPS can't be that much more with less than a grain of powder difference.

Kenlguy - I am using H380.
Psycodog - thanks for the welcoming words. I plan to verify the 36.9 and might even try some 36.7 & .8 as I will be using this load in the summer for ground hogs. Had a pet load that worked real well using 52 gr AMAX but was looking for some a little more explosive so I am now using 55gr HDY SPSX.

Ahhhhh. The 788. Had 2 of them. Gave one to a brother and eventually sold the other. Not much of a rifle to look at but...They sure shot great!!

If you look up Hornady's spsx info you may be at the top end of velocity for that bullet with higher velocities . I used to shoot a lot of them at prairie dogs out of a 223 in a 788.
If I remember correctly Hornady did not recommend that bullet for fast twist rifles as the bullet could explode at faster velocities (too high rpms).
In other words if pushed too fast the bullet would come apart in air before it got to the target.
My buddies worked up loads that were wonderful in the winter,
but the bullets came apart in the South Dakota sunshine before they got to the prairie dog. Bummer for them. Those prairie dogs are still laughing.

Just curious as to where you got your load data. Hodgdon list 38.0 as the starting load and 41.0 as the maximum, for their 55 grain bullets. Nosler list 35.5 as the starting load, and 39.5 as max with their 55 grain bullets.

Moving up in .1 grain increments is a waste of powder, and honestly I doubt you will be able to repeat your 36.9 group. If you increase the charge, you will probably find another node of accuracy near the top end, and see a jump in performance as well. Somewhere around 39.0-39.5 grains is where you should be. Your at 223 velocity.

Back