223 55 Grain Ammo for Deer

The Surgeon

I have an AR 15 that I plan to deer hunt with this fall. I've been using 55 grain V-Max on coyotes and it has worked pretty well. I'd like to stay in the 55 grain range as my scope is calibrated for this bullet type. Does anybody have any suggestions or will my V-Max work?

Casey

I would forget the scope calibrated scope bs and go with 60gr sierra hp, 64gr win pp or 65gr sierra gamekings and drive them as fast as you can while keeping accuracy.

I agree a heavier bullet would be better however a friend asked a similar question and I recommended a 55 gr softpoint. he succeeded with good shot placement.

Unfortunately the AR is the biggest rifle I have so far. I know shot placement will be key regardless of grain size. Trying to make it easy, this will be my first year deer hunting. Not opposed to a larger grain.

Casey

Hornady makes a 55 gmx, Barnes makes a 55 etip and Nosler is coming out with a 55 etip. Not sure if the monolithic bullets will fly similar to the Vmax though.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84Hornady makes a 55 gmx, Barnes makes a 55 etip and Nosler is coming out with a 55 etip. Not sure if the monolithic bullets will fly similar to the Vmax though.

I have not used monometal bullets on deer-sized game, only on elk with a 7mm-08 and they have worked well for me. On a smaller-sized deer I would be leery of the bullet penciling. I have used GMX bullets on coyotes and they often leave a small entrance and exit, with the coyote not going immediately down.

I'm not saying they are a bad choice, just that I would want to do some testing our hear about others' results before using GMX, Barnes, or E-Tip bullets on deer with a .223/5.56.

I would not worry about scope being calibrated for a 55 gr bullet as you shouldn't be shooting all that far with a 223 with that bullet. As stated by others there are many better choices. I have used the 75 gr amax and the 60 gr nosler partition in a 9 twist 223 for deer with good success. I keep my shots within 200 yds. Sierra has a 55 and 65 gr Gameking that should work also.

Don't use the v-max on deer, if you want to stay with the same grain use the hornady 55 sp, i have taken whitetails every year since mn made the 223 legal, dont shoot em in the shoulder though.

you wont need the scope calibration, your shots with that rifle will get covered no problem with your 100 yd zero. Do yourself a favor and shoot the 60 Nosler Partition.

I have used Nosler 55 grain BT to cull many does on the ranch. Put it in the right place, keep your shots under three hundred yards, and you won't have a problem. For many years the 222 Remington with a 50 grain soft point, was the preferred doe killing caliber here in Texas.

Last edited:
I have killed a BUNCH of deer with the 223 (mostly longer barreled bolt guns). If you make & take good shots (broadside, behind the shoulder bow style shots) the 55gr vmax will work just fine; been there done that. If you need more penetration the 65gr gameking, 60 partition or any of the Barnes x bullets will be more helpful (even in the shoulders). The 55gr sierra BTHP & the 60gr Varminter are wonderful deer bullets & overall much better than the vmax. Keep shots inside ranges where you KNOW you can hit in a softball size area and you'll have no problems.

Not sure what you mean your scope is "calibrated" to the 55 vmax??? If you mean "sighted in for it" thats a minor change & you shouldn't have a problem with a short trip to the range. If you mean the reticle, BDC, turret or some type of drop correction is calabrated to it... Throw that out the window, no sense in shooting deer past point blank range (inside 300 yards) with a 223Rem & 55gr bullet.

If you can't wait for good shots, can't pass opportunities, & plan to take raking angle shots... Save up for a bigger gun or upper.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now that I think about it I don't plan on shooting long range. I will do some testing but really appreciate all the help, I'm a pretty new hunter.

Casey

Originally Posted By: The SurgeonThanks for all the suggestions. Now that I think about it I don't plan on shooting long range. I will do some testing but really appreciate all the help, I'm a pretty new hunter.

Casey

Big difference between shooting long range & hunting long range...

Originally Posted By: dennydDon't use the v-max on deer, if you want to stay with the same grain use the hornady 55 sp, i have taken whitetails every year since mn made the 223 legal, dont shoot em in the shoulder though.

+1 My Dad and brother got over 30 deer in SW Nebraska with
.22-250's using Hornady 55gr SP's over the years. Nothing but
broad-side lung shots were used. No deer loss, and none going
beyond 50yds. Lungs were liquified.

I use Hornady 55gr SP for deer here in PA.
Blasted a doe opening day @ 50yds and blew an entire shoulder out...she went about 20ft.
Id say they work just fine...all about shot placement.

Hornady 55gr SP have worked well for me on Deer and Hogs. Both deer that I shot last year were taken with this round, in the shoulder and both were down right there. No tracking. The hogs I shoot in the head/neck.

I haven't shot any deer with the 223, but my 10 year old son took his first deer this season with a 60 grain Nosler Partition in a 22-250. Bullet did it's job very well.

Back