Upper to Lower receiver gap with New Frontier poly lower...

Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: Mike BOriginally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwhy buy snap-on tools when craftsman do the job just as well

They are made in America. But thats beside the point.

So are these. Guess I better get rid of my Glocks and get a 1911 with twice the weight and half the shots too?

Yes if you need twice the shots than you need more range time.

Now that's funny, but gotta admit I'm more than a bit partial to the 1911's.
lol.gif

Regards
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: Mike BOriginally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwhy buy snap-on tools when craftsman do the job just as well

They are made in America. But thats beside the point.

So are these. Guess I better get rid of my Glocks and get a 1911 with twice the weight and half the shots too?

Yes if you need twice the shots than you need more range time.

Now that's funny, but gotta admit I'm more than a bit partial to the 1911's.
lol.gif

Regards
hm

Yeah, I'm thinkin' he's soon gonna vote for a fed limit on AR mags to 5 ....or maybe NY's 7 rounds. Maybe they should have steel lowers and uppers too so they're as heavy and strong as possible......and steel mags and wood furniture too......

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm thinkin' he's soon gonna vote for a fed limit on AR mags to 5 ....or maybe NY's 7 rounds. Maybe they should have steel lowers and uppers too so they're as heavy and strong as possible......and steel mags and wood furniture too...... [/quote]

Now you are confused we are talking about AR's not AK's .......but if you need a surefire 60 rd mag to coyote hunt more power to ya.....

I wouldn't own an AR with that much gap. Functionally, I like my upper to 'seat' against the lower side rails to help prevent 'wallering'. The less contact, the more leverage is exerted on the smaller contact areas.

I suppose one of the major drivers of a tight fit requirement is to keep dust out of the action.

I got an email back from New Frontier Armory...

Quote:Francis, we’re working on making a new mold for the lowers now as it is getting some wear on it that’s starting to show.

We don’t want you to worry though as there is no functionality or safety issues with there being a slight gap between the upper and lower in that area and it varies depending on what upper it is mated with.

I asked if there would be any chance I can exchange mine once they have new lowers from the new mold, but I have not received any response. From the reply they sent (saying it's safe and good to go) I am going to guess their answer will be NO. I'm a little disappointed with the fitment of this upper. I understand it's primarily cosmetic. The only other concern would be dust. But this is a hunting gun, not a battle rifle, so honestly it all boils down to the cosmetics.

I don't want this to be a debate about poly vs aluminum. This is not my only AR, and this build was intended to be an ultra-light weight plinking gun. I feel very confident in the ability of a poly lower to do it's job. Just wish this particular lower fit better.

Looks like I'll just keep it and shoot it, hopefully some day I'll forget about the gap.

It's made to not have a gap, and their lower is producing a gap. There's a part dimensional specification for AR-15 lowers, and their product obviously missed the mark. At best, it looks like $hit, slightly worse, it lets dust into the action, at worst, it'll wear more quickly since it has less mating interface between the receivers.

I'd forget real d@mn quick about the gap too, because it wouldn't exist on my gun. I'd be calling them twice a day until they replaced it or refunded it, and if they eventually ultimately refused, everywhere that I frequent on the web would know about it - and their poor customer service response, and I'd move on to a new lower.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorIt's made to not have a gap, and their lower is producing a gap. There's a part dimensional specification for AR-15 lowers, and their product obviously missed the mark. At best, it looks like $hit, slightly worse, it lets dust into the action, at worst, it'll wear more quickly since it has less mating interface between the receivers.

I'd forget real d@mn quick about the gap too, because it wouldn't exist on my gun. I'd be calling them twice a day until they replaced it or refunded it, and if they eventually ultimately refused, everywhere that I frequent on the web would know about it - and their poor customer service response, and I'd move on to a new lower.

X2 I couldn't say it any better that thing is junk and i would tell them to stick it were the sun doesn't shine.

you guys and you dust. you must lose sleep over powder residue, carbon and brass shavings in the receiver? what about a little dust getting in around the magazine and into the receiver? for you dust worry warts the best thing to do would be never take them outside or shoot them.

bet my plastic ARs that are full of dust have killed more coyotes, bobcats, fox, rabbits, badgers, prairie dogs, porcupines and paper targets than you aluminum ones have. a LOT LOT more. and i bet they continue to.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotbet my plastic ARs that are full of dust have killed more coyotes, bobcats, fox, rabbits, badgers, prairie dogs, porcupines and paper targets than you aluminum ones have. a LOT LOT more. and i bet they continue to.
lol.gif
lol.gif

We will never know but believe me you can have the plastic no jealousy here. Shot alot of paper but never killed any How does that work? Lmao

Originally Posted By: bryan h Shot alot of paper but never killed any How does that work? Lmao

you probably gut shot it. get a plastic lower. even with dust in it it will shoot more accurate and maybe you can kill the paper.
tongue_smilie.gif

Personally I would get a refund. They pretty much stated that it was out of spec hence replacing the mold. Regardless of what it is made from there are fitting issues. Cosmetic or not.

Well I sent them this email on 9APR, still haven't received a response....

Quote:
New Frontier,

As you admitted, this lower isn't up to par as to what you normally produce. This lower does not fit as advertised (advertised as no wiggle/no gap) on 3 different uppers that I have tried it with. I have another New Frontier LW-15 lower that I purchased through JoeBobOutfitters a few years ago, and it fits great. The fitment of this most recent lower to the old one I have is night and day. It may function fine, but it is not as advertised and not what it should be.

I would really like to either exchange it for a new, properly fitting LW-15 lower, or get a refund. Please let me know what can be done.

Thanks,
Francis

Originally Posted By: HibsWell I sent them this email on 9APR, still haven't received a response....

Quote:
New Frontier,

As you admitted, this lower isn't up to par as to what you normally produce. This lower does not fit as advertised (advertised as no wiggle/no gap) on 3 different uppers that I have tried it with. I have another New Frontier LW-15 lower that I purchased through JoeBobOutfitters a few years ago, and it fits great. The fitment of this most recent lower to the old one I have is night and day. It may function fine, but it is not as advertised and not what it should be.

I would really like to either exchange it for a new, properly fitting LW-15 lower, or get a refund. Please let me know what can be done.

Thanks,
Francis

Received a response back from the President of New Frontier. He offered to fix the cosmetic gap on the lower I have, if I send it in with the primary upper it will be mated to. He said if he can't get it to work with my lower, they'll replace the lower with another. Sounds like a very fair deal to me, so I'll be boxing it up and sending it back promptly.

I greatly appreciate New Frontier coming forward to rectify this. I'll post up results once I receive my lower back from them.

I sent my upper and lower into New Frontier, they found a different lower in their inventory that fit better and shipped it back to me. It still has a SLIGHT gap, but not as bad as before. I haven't spent the time in the garage to measure it with my feeler gauges yet. As soon as I do, I'll report back.

But on initial impressions, I want to thank New Frontier for their prompt customer service and quick turn around in helping rectify this situation.

Back