I thought I'd heard it all, until...

John Leslie

today when I was in the Gander Mountain store in Raleigh, NC and I asked where the reloading powder was. The store clerk told me, "We don't stock any reloading supplies, because the Fire Marshall will not allow reloading powder and loaded ammunition in the same store."

Good Lord!!!

That's almost as bad as when the local fire department told me that if my house caught fire they wouldn't come near it. Said all the powder I had would blow up the county. Never did convince them that gunpowder doesn't explode.

Originally Posted By: vahunterThat's almost as bad as when the local fire department told me that if my house caught fire they wouldn't come near it. Said all the powder I had would blow up the county. Never did convince them that gunpowder doesn't explode.

I have a buddy that works for the local fire department and he told me the same thing, "with all that powder we'll just stay back a safe distance and watch her burn. Ignorance.......

When I worked at gun shop few years ago, fire department told us the same thing. No powder allowed. We had some pyrodex one time from muzzle loader season laying around one day when they came and did walk through, and about had a fit. Get rid of it now was their reaction.

Thank goodness I'm just visiting. I guess the real question is "Who's actually correct, the sales clerk or the Fire Marshall?" The sales clerk's answer sounds like an excuse for store mismanagement, but if the clerk is actually correct, then the Fire Marshall is professionally ignorant and is using his authority to enforce someone's anti-gun philosophy.

Originally Posted By: John Leslietoday when I was in the Gander Mountain store in Raleigh, NC and I asked where the reloading powder was. The store clerk told me, "We don't stock any reloading supplies, because the Fire Marshall will not allow reloading powder and loaded ammunition in the same store."

Good Lord!!!

Must have same fire marshall here in MN. Gander here says same thing. They also say it is federal law that they check every persons id, no matter how old they appear, when purchasing any kind of ammunition. I mentioned that ALL of the other gun stores in the area only check if they believe you are under 18 and they all have not only guns and reloading supplies in the same store, they also sell muzzleloading supplies. The clerk just stared for a few seconds, then said "We can make any policies we want." I tried to get the number for their Corp. Hdqts. but they refused and told me to leave. Haven't been back since and will never give them business again.

Last edited:
the Gander Mountain by us hasn't sold reloading material for some time. I wouldn't shop Gander Garbage shop is it was all that was left. They want to be an importer of foreign made clothing, much like Cabela's is getting to be like.

we have a new GM here. went right after it opened, no reloading supplies of any kind. "yeah, it sucks, but that's online only".

Academy sports has both ammo & some limited reloading supplies. No powders yet but lots of primers. they say they've ordered powder but nothing delivered yet, been months.

bass pro shops across the bay -and every where else I've checked- has reloading supplies, including power & primers, as has every gun store in the country I've shopped at that has reloading supplies.

They pulled all the reloading components and equipment here over 2yrs ago. I went from going 1 or 2 times a month to maybe once a year if that.

It's been quite a few years since GM in Cedar Rapids, Iowa has
handled powders or primers. Prices of both when they did handle
them was actually very competitive. One day I went to get some
primers, there were none as well as no powders. When asked why
a sales clerk told me some stores did not sell enough of either
so their inventory was sent to those which did sell a lot of it.
I found that very odd, in light of the fact that all their other
reloading equipment, brass and bullets were still on their
shelves. Last time I looked, their bullets were 2X+ what they
can be purchased on line for. Needless to say, I'm no longer a
shopper at GM.

Back