223AI fire forming with a new barrel went well

IAyoteHNTR

I got the new barrel installed on my Savage 12 VLPDBM last Thursday (a CBI 26" varmint weight 1-9 twist match barrel) and loaded up my first few test/fire forming loads Saturday morning and got out to shoot them Saturday afternoon.

I had to go down to my gunsmith's shop to screw on the new barrel since I didn't have the 223AI go gauge and didn't want to wait on ordering one. He used the 223AI go gauge and then used the regular 223 go gauge as a no go gauge which makes for a very snug fit into the chamber with the 223 factory ammo and my regular 223 fire forming ammo but from what I understand this is the way I want it to be. There seems to be a very slight crush of the 223 brass as I chamber it.

The fire formed brass looks great coming out and I got better results than I expected but at the same time it was really what I was hoping for. The factory 50 grain V-max Fiocchi Extrema ammo I shot while fire forming shot a lot better than I expected. I got one 5 shot group that measured .640" and another that shot .520". The LC brass loads that I shot did quite well too. I loaded up 3 different charges using 53 grain V-Maxs and got groups of .490" with 25.5 grains of H4895 with an avg speed of3240 fps, .715" with 26.0 grains and an avg speed of around 3300-3325, and the final group using 26.5 grains of H4895 I got 3480-3525 fps and it shot a 5 shot group of .510". I am using CCI BR4 primers in everything.

2015-04-11133225_zps511b2b35.jpg

The group in the middle is of my Savage 17WSM B-Mag using 25 grain ammo I hadn't shot yet, one sighter high and the next four after adjusting down 1 MOA. Close to 1" grouping for the B-Mag, but that's another story.

I also loaded up another 20 test loads using new Lapua Match brass and shot them @ 200 yards while fire forming and got right around 1" groups with those and got around 1-1/2" groups using the Fiocchi ammo. The Lapua Match brass had less case capacity then the LC brass I used so I just loaded up them with 25.5 grains of H4895 and got right around 3350 fps average. The Fiocchi ammo was running between 3050-3100 fps.

It now looks like I'll be easily able to fit 27.5-28.0 grains of H4895 into the fire formed LC brass and 27.0-27.5 grains into the fire formed Lapua Match brass w/o them being a crush fit. I'll be loading and testing some of the fire formed brass this week. It will be interesting to see how fast and accurate I can get 53 grain V-Maxs to go now.

454, how much 8208 ? and did you record fps at the high node ? tia

IAyoteHunter, good deal on your nice new shooter, tks for sharing the info.
(am considering 223AI vs 6x45, for next AR)

My next round of testing today. I loaded up some of the Lapua brass that I had fire formed this last weekend with 4 different charges of H4895 from 26.0 to 26.9 grains in .3 grain increments. I also shot some factory Fiocchi ammo to fire form some more brass to use later and shot my Savage B-Mag 17 WSM as well (which shoots just fine
thumbup1.gif
). I'll let the picture of the target show all the details.....

2015-04-16155052_zps0610d833.jpg

I think I may be just now coming into a node on the upper end of what I shot/tested today and I plan on doing a 300+ yard ladder test this weekend from 26.0 to 27.5 grains of H4895 in .3 grain increments and see what it tells me. I show no signs of pressure whatsoever yet so I'm sure I can go a few charges higher w/o any problems and maybe I'll get a nice load in the 3650-3700 FPS range that shoots accurately. All in all I'm pleased so far and I think once I really nail down my load and mess with some different seating depths I should easily find a load that's at or under 1/2 MOA, at least that's what I'm striving for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHCool, those velocities are pulling me to punch my .223 chambers out to AI!

More case capacity for more velocity AND easier on the brass, ie. less stretch, what's not to love about an Ackley Improved?

My next barrel purchase will be an improved version of the 20 Practical, a 20-223AI barrel.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
What type of Lapua brass are you using? Some of the OLD lapua 223 was very thick & had a small case capacity (compared to other commercial stuff).

The reason I ask is the velocities you have listed surprises me... Especially since Hodgdon shows 27.0gr of H4895 to be the max in the standard 223Rem (your 26.9 was in the high 3500's).

With the same load in a larger case capacity; velocities should be lower, not higher. The improved case should withstand somewhere around a 1.5+ grain more than the standard (with the increased case cap). I'm wondering what the velocities will be when you get to the improved load!!!???
scared.gif

Every rifle is different but unless the cases you have a small capacity I'm stumped.

I'm using Lapua 223 Match brass. The 26.9gr in the cases that are fire formed are not putting powder into the neck area yet, but it's right there.

My last round of testing was with improved cases.

Last edited:
Back