New to AR's.......Yes or No??

Originally Posted By: savagesupersniperBeen a bolt action guy my whole life! Maine hunter, who loves hunting coyotes along with all the other Maine game. I have a $1000 dollars to spend, what is the way I should lean......Build one, buy one, and caliber????? Or add to my bolt collection???? Would appreciate input greatly!

so you dont have an ar15 now? you for sure need at least one. just pick a good well known brand and you will be good to go. 223/5.56 would be a good choice for the coyote sized animals.

I love hunting with a AR and a Bolt. Hunting partner and I change up who is hunting with each every other time we go out. I find I have just as many kills most of the time with a bolt. In a close environment with quick shooting needed I prefer my 223 SBR with suppressor. Where we have a chance to shoot out to 1000 yards I use a bolt in 243 with a suppressor.

If you don't have a AR get one in something. They are loads of fun.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI love hunting with a AR and a Bolt. Hunting partner and I change up who is hunting with each every other time we go out. I find I have just as many kills most of the time with a bolt. In a close environment with quick shooting needed I prefer my 223 SBR with suppressor. Where we have a chance to shoot out to 1000 yards I use a bolt in 243 with a suppressor.

If you don't have a AR get one in something. They are loads of fun.

When my original mentor introduced me to predator hunting, I had given up hunting all together. I had my competition AR, and since I knew it so well I took it out predator hunting. I was hooked. Then I wanted to go prairie dog hunting, so we built a .204 Ruger upper. 2 pins, BAM, instant prairie dog hammer. The rest is history. The thing that I love most about the AR is the modular nature of the platform. I learn one lower/trigger set up, and then I pop the pins and swap out uppers and I am ready for my next adventure.

I've been around AR's for years. Currently I have one in a 6mm DTI basically a 6x6.8 and and having a 22x6.8 built now by Ritch Johnson. Both I shoot suppressed.

Kind of ironic about AR's.

Finding the GOOD parts at reasonable prices. Anybody can "build" an AR...but to put together a QUALITY AR in the $600 range, that shoots superb, is what is the payoff.

LOVE (in no particular order)
Melonite/Nitride coated barrels - 18" seems to work rather well
Billet uppers that look and sized like a standard A3, but only an ounce heavier.
Strike Industries - WHAT a charging handle!!! Best for the price...or double the price.

Back