best powder for light trap loads

geode

I know shotgun reloading doesn't get talked about much here. Thought I'd ask anyway. I'm sure alot of you guys reload for trapshooting.
I'm looking for a 12 gauge load for my son. He's currently shooting 1 1/8 oz. with promo powder but it is alittle much for him.
I'm looking to lighten the load up to 1 oz. and I'm looking for a good powder to minimize recoil for him.
Any suggestions? I've heard PB is a great one but its hard to find. All I currently have for shotgun powder is green dot and promo. I've also read good things about international clays for this application?

thanks

Extra Lite, Clay Dot, Red Dot, Promo and Alliant shows over 20 Green Dot 1 oz loads for AA hulls with Win 209 primers.

700X, Clays and Titewad also works for 1 oz loads.

Hogdon is phasing out PB and is near impossible to find. I was able to scrounge up 7 lbs. for my low pressure 2 1/2" duck loads. In my 12's I'm using Greendot and 700x for low pressure 7/8 oz target loads.

I used to use WAA-lite with 1OZ shot and it only got close to 1000fps and I did use Greendot but forgot what components as that was 25years ago. But I was thinking it gave 1000-1100FPS Another one is the WST It is hard to find because it is clean and also it makes a wonderful 38sp load. SASS uses it a lot, that's why it's scarce. The first 2 powders will not operate a Remington 1100 at those pressures and velocity.

Try the first two and if he can handle them and you can get some WST try it because it will get you better velocities and about the same pressures. This actually does come into play more with a shotgun than one would think. TightGroup and Titewad get the ax here because of the pressures are high and velocities are average. This means 1200Fps which is not helping you. You can buy ammo that does that.
Too bad you can't use a 28gauge Remington 1100,,, They don't kick at all.

The Promo is your best bet, seems to be the most readily available around here and cheapest ($95 for the last 8# that I bought.) I use 17.5 grains with the snot green Claybuster wad (TGT 12 clone), one ounce 7 1/2 or 8's, Fed 209A primer in any Remington hull. This is my trap and sporting load when it matters. When I'm practicing or just playing around I use 16.5 Promo, the grey 7/8 Claybuster wad (WAA12L clone), 7/8 ounce of 8's or 8 1/2's, Fed 209A again in any Remington hull. Both loads have been clocked on my chronograph at 1200 fps (plus or minus a few.) Most are shot out of a Beretta 391 that I have weighted up to 9 1/2 pounds though I do put a fair number through my Model 12's and a 1911 A. H. Fox "A" grade SxS. Make sure you use a scale when playing with Promo or any powder for that matter as the density will vary from jug to jug. The bushing charts are a recommended starting point only! I do all my loading on a MEC 9000G. It takes me less than 3 minutes to load a box of shells.

I would look at Clays or International, if you can find it. Looking at the Alliant load data, it looks like there are a number of Green Dot recipes for 1 oz. loads that have lower pressures.

I have to agree with the comment about going to a "sub-gauge". My 9 year old grandson shoots my Beretta A-400 28 ga. regularly, with no notice of recoil. He thinks he is ready for trap, but I think we will set up the target launcher, in the back meadow, and let him learn that is more difficult than cans on the ground. A nice light soft shooting 20 ga. or 28 ga. gas operated semi-auto, launching 3/4 to 7/8 ounce loads may be a better path to more comfortable shotgun shooting.

Squeeze

PB is a great low recoil powder. Was a bit pricey, I've used Green Dot as it is a low "felt" recoil, especially my first shot on doubles. I've found as did many other long time ATA shooters it also pulls the pattern together better, as the pressures are not so high, because the burn rate is slower also.
Study the pressures from the powder companies, they will tell a lot, go to a trap club and talk to some of the "old timers", they will more than be helpful for a kid starting out.

I used International Clays poweder, it's really nice to clean your shotgun and find it clean and clear after shooting 6 rounds of clays.

PB is discontinued and even when you could get it, it was $25 for a 14 oz can or $192 for an eight pounder. I'm paying $100 +/- $5 for an eight pounder of Promo. Good luck finding any Hogdgon powders. That includes IMR and Winchester shotgun powders(all made by Hogdgon now.) Clay Dot, e3, Red Dot, American Select, Green Dot are your best choices for lower pressures, less felt recoil, and lighter loading densities. Again, Promo being the least expensive and around here the most obtainable. If any of the others gave me better performance I would be using them "IF" I could get them.

Geode, I know what it's like bringing up a new shooter, especially one that has some drive and natural ability. It has to be FUN, and getting beat up every time he hits the trigger is definitely not fun. It all equates to trigger time and lots of it. I coached my son to two New York State NSCA Juniors Championships. He still has it but doesn't compete much anymore (neither do I), but he has turned into a duck killing machine. Actually anything that flies is in trouble.

I shot a fantastic 7/8 oz load at 1300 fps with tightgroup with a Ballistics product EML wad, busted them way out there! VERY little recoil and great pattern.

Back