FLIR LS-XR Review

I got my LS-XR in today. I used a PS32 in the past. I am not a thermal expert. But, here are my initial impressions.

The resolution is amazing. The instalert is less sensitive than on the PS32. This is a big improvement. The most overwhelmingly cool thing about this unit is that 1x, 2x, 4x, AND 8X has a useable image!!!!! It looks better on 8X than the PS32 does on 2X. Wow.

I really like how easy it is to use. Just like the PS32. The first thing I did after I charged it was download the newest firmware into the unit. It was simple.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lens cap. If anyone knows of a better aftermarket cap, please chime in.

Last edited:
LOL, that lens cap is flimsy, I put a couple of tiny dabs of silicon seal around the mating rim to keep from losing it.

It is unbelievable that the thermal image is useable at 8X as normally I have never seen a decent useable thermal image over 4X to tell you the truth.

But, at 8X, you just about have to have it mounted on a tripod to avoid it shaking too much.

Plus it has video out too!

I used it some more last night. Depending on what I am viewing, 2x actually gives me a better image than 1x. Pretty remarkable. The long range capability is amazing. This thing is a keeper. I feel like every function is useable and useful. It was worth the $5300. Completely.

Last edited:
Yes, LS-XR has the new updated TAU 2.7.2 core with an array of firmware/software improvements/enhancements over the previous TAU 2.7 cores and also has a higher resolution viewer display, plus zooms to 8X and has video out. This is a normal progression of the evolution of the TAU core over its life span as more and more utility is teased from it during its development cycle.

Other than that, they are identical in outward appearance.

Here is a view from mine in the backyard of some deer feeding on the lichens and moss on a downed limb:

Watch full screen...

Happened to be around with fedex showed up. Fired up the LSXR during the daytime and the image looked improved over what the LS64 could resolve from 200-500yds. Noticed the firmware was 3.42.64, so I updated it to 3.43.64. Took about 2 minutes, did it with a mac running parallels. The update improved the resolution even more, as others have said 8x is useable. White & Black hot seem to be a viable setting without contrast problems. Insta-alert is also toned down. Its a step up in processing power.

IMG_4718_zpsqyhsgbnu.jpg

Very nice!

The new InstaAlert settings are a real improvement on brain drain for scanning large areas for heat signatures, the gamma correction eliminated the "white out" occurrences too. I also like that it boots up where you turned it off at since I mostly use Black Hot 1X for allot of my precision scanning.

The viewer is also higher resolution too for finer detail. All around a nice useable hand held scanner that gets allot of use on our hunts.

That 8X is incredible too, I have never looked though a thermal that was useable over about 4X, that is a huge improvement. Also the RS64 scope has the same and that is awesome too.

No update is available for the LS-64 currently, but there will be an update for it later on this summer to change out the gamma correction for the viewer and change the InstaAlert settings.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupNo update is available for the LS-64 currently, but there will be an update for it later on this summer to change out the gamma correction for the viewer and change the InstaAlert settings.

Thank you my friend!!

I will wait for it and hopefully it will be here before my first kill while scanning with my LS64.

I've had the LSXR out the past week in various conditions killing dogs. Last night for example was very humid with a high dew point. I was able to use all the insta alert levels and actually found level 3 & 4 best suited, which on the LS64 would've resulted in a completely red screen. As the night went on and the fog cleared I could go back to black hot where I seem to get the best target definition. The latest updates get these devices close to being on par with the IR Hunters for image quality & performance. In tough conditions previously with the LS64 I found myself primarily using the rifle to scan because the washout was too much and I couldn't resolve anything.
On clear nights the resolution in the LSXR is very good with plenty of detection range. Nights such as last night the range is reduced because of humidity but unlike before it still functions very well.

I was out in a huge thunderstorm and the InstaAlert worked awesome as all that I was able to see were heat signatures when I could hardly even make out the ground horizon under these most difficult thermal conditions.

Being able to upgrade your own instrument like that is AWESOME!!!

These threads are old. There is no public FLIR firmware update software available without contacting them. I have them researching it. They said ITAR made them remove it from the website. My current flir ls xr looks just like ls64 did. I think it has older firmware or something. No graded fire either.

Back