First Shotgun Kill...against the odds.

S2H

It's not from lack of trying. Have been putting my time in as much as I can after those wiley coyotes. Only seen a handful...thinking the same two in the same AO...either too far, or not ready for the shot. Even the weather lately has been putting a damper on the pursuit. But I had enough of watching it rain, and snow, and the crazy wind blowing.

Hooked up with my buddy today after a late breakfast. I brought him for overwatch...needed someone who could take a 400-500yd shot if they presented themselves in the same manner as last time. I carried my shotgun for close work if it happened that way. Probably got to the first stand around noon or so. Wind was screaming (gusts >40mph?) as more than one tree came down in the woods. It was my first time on this part of the property, so it was a dual scouting mission as well. No takers for the first stand, so we packed up and moved. Second stand just screamed coyote. Buddy had a good position to watch for quite a ways, and I covered the thicket side of the caller. Around the 5-8 minute mark, she shows up in the thick stuff. Just enough time for me to raise my shotgun and lean to avoid taking down a branch in the way. She was locked on the caller and decoy, but she wasn't taking another step toward it. As my buddy was covering the caller, it came from his right and he never saw it. BANG!!! Mossberg 935 with the Dead Coyote T-shot dropped her where she stood. I was crazy excited, and then remembered that I should switch calls to coyote distress...I did that, and some kiyi s as well...but I was so darn excited I was practically dancing in my seat. My first shotgun kill!!

Female that won't be delivering a litter this year. I was pumped!! I even did a dance or something very similar. We knocked out two more stands in the hopes of finding her mate, but I think that ship sailed when I started celebrating. Four stands, out of the woods by 1600, about a half hour per stand.

Coyote%20Tall_zpsolmqwijr.jpg.html

So...to recap...mid-day, wicked windy, and mostly sunny...everything I've read not to do. And like my buddy said, you can't kill em on your couch. Thanks for reading...first of the year with more to come before turkey season starts. Oh, yeah..one shredded turkey in the woods...one fewer turkey killer.

Seriously...if someone could get my picture to show...I would appreciate it. Apparently I haven't figure that trick out.

Originally Posted By: Dewey NYFantastic. Great write up and picture.
What sight is that.? Do you use ot for turkey hunting.?

Thanks, Dewey...it's an Eotech 512 and just switch out chokes and use it for Turkeys. Love it...super easy to use...shot a tom left handed with it last year (I shoot right).

Originally Posted By: LedgewoodhunterNice job smokin that female! Looking forward to hitting that farm again.

Cat's out of the bag...Ledgewoodhunter provided the overwatch that day. Thanks for bringing the big gun. We'll hit that place again when the wind's not knocking down the forest!!

Back