New to AR's.......Yes or No??

Been a bolt action guy my whole life! Maine hunter, who loves hunting coyotes along with all the other Maine game. I have a $1000 dollars to spend, what is the way I should lean......Build one, buy one, and caliber????? Or add to my bolt collection???? Would appreciate input greatly!

You hunt Maines? Are they hard to get, what do they taste like?
thumbup.gif

Take that grand and build a lower with a decent trigger. Doesn't have to be top of the line. Then buy a complete upper. Or build it, but research what you want and want to do with it. If you are going to hunt with it, no need for a 24" bull barrel.

Have you decided on a cartridge?

Putting together an AR is like a kindergarten puzzle.

If you have the cash build a AR in one of the 6.8 variants like a 6x6.8 or a 6 DTECH. I love bolt guns but the AR is really fun also.

I have built half a dozen lowers with painters tape, a sew driver,a pair of vise grips and a razor blade.

Simple as a five year old with legos. My uppers have been built by Ritch for several years or by other quality smiths

Greg

Building a upper, more like "assembling" is just as easy as assembling a lower.

If you want one off the shelf go buy a Rock River. If you want to learn and have fun then put one together yourself. Any specifics you are looking for?

Originally Posted By: savagesupersniperBuilding a lower is over my expertise, I think! Caliber I'm thinking .223 but not at all sure!

It's not. Building AR's is child's play. They're like adult Legos.

For $1000, I'd recommend building. Be patient and watch for sales, and you can build a lot more rifle for the money. Get a great barrel, a good trigger, a stock that fits you (CHEEKWELD), a pistol grip that feels good in your hand, and a forend that you like looking at. An adjustable gas block is worth the investment - say again - an adjustable gas block is worth the investment.

There's really only about $100 in tools that you need - a set of vise blocks and a barrel nut wrench.

Now, if you don't have ANY tools - and I'm learning that a lot of men just don't have tools anymore and that's supposed to be OK - then it's cheaper to buy. But on the other hand, you should have general tools, so if that's your excuse to buy them, then I'd still recommend building, even though you'll have more investment in the tool set.

I would also build one a better gun for the money but like said before buy a good trigger and barrel you won't regret it.

Build it. Get a nice trigger and barrel and it WILL be accurate. Like the others said, build it to fit your needs and it will end up exactly what you want.

If you decide not to build, take a look at Stag Arms in either .223 or 6.8 SPC cartridge, both can be had with a two stage match trigger. I just got their Model 6 varmint rifle in 223 and they guarantee .5" MOA 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I've shot groups in the .3" with it.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Two things are necessary in my opinion.

1) a good trigger
2) Your barrel needs to come from White Oak Armarment

White Oak Armament makes a real nice barrel.

I am a dyed in the wool bolt guy too, but just before the leftist in MD tried (unsuccessfully) to ban AR's I bought one, just because I don't like the idea of the gov't telling me I couldn't have one.

That was a year and half ago, and I have got to tell you that AR's are a heck of a lot of fun. I really appreciate the "LEGO" building block like feature. Based on my experience, I would say you ought to give it a go.

As far as build or buy, my suggestion is to start by buying a basic rifle and then learning it and begin to implement some changes using the interchangeability. Like a good trigger for example.

The same link provided above will take you to a $675 dollar rifle that would be a great start, imo.

Also, imo, with readily available and inexpensive ammo, as well as versatile performance ranging from fair to excellent on a wide variety of game/predators/varmints a 5.56/223 is hard to beat for a first AR. You can add bought or built rifles or uppers in different calibers or configurations later if you take to the AR.

JPK

JPK..... Thanks for your input. I have been thinking along those same lines. Ammo is no issue for me, cause reloading is another hobby I enjoy. Another possible stupid question...... Is there a 22-250 for the AR? If I decide to not go with the AR, that is the caliber I will be buying next! Thanks again for all the input.

Originally Posted By: savagesupersniperJPK..... Thanks for your input. I have been thinking along those same lines. Ammo is no issue for me, cause reloading is another hobby I enjoy. Another possible stupid question...... Is there a 22-250 for the AR? If I decide to not go with the AR, that is the caliber I will be buying next! Thanks again for all the input.

If you want a 22-250 AR than build a 204 same ballistic .

Same trajectory but not the same energy. 223 can do practically everything a 204 can do and its really not too far behind the 250. I think Olympic arms made a 22-250 Ar at one time but I read of some issue's. I'm sure it could be done

Back