T/C Venture vs Savage Trophy Hunter.......recommendations?

JaxTeller

Looking to add another deer/varmint rifle to the collection. Considering something in .243 - already have a Tikka T3 and a Rossi 30-30 that we use.

I have it narrowed down to the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter (with Nikon Scope) or the T/C venture (have a Vortex scope ready to go). Both seem to be in my price range and feel good in my hands. Savage has the 111 in 6.5 creedmoor, but since I do not reload, I might have a tough time with ammo..

Does anyone here have any recommendations/experience with these 2?

My son just bought a TC Venture 25-06. Its a sweet rifle, very well made, smooth action and has a great trigger. It shoots under 1" with factory Hornady Superformance 117 gr SST. Have not done any reloads for it yet.I'm going to get me one either 243,7mm-08, 270, 280 or 7mm rem mag. I can't make my mind up either.

I have both and both are excellent. I have the venture in .243 and the Savage 11 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I think the venture is the most underrated rifle out there, more people should consider it. With hand loads mine will shoot 3 shots inside a quarter at 250 most days, but has shot parie dogs further than that. The savage is excellent as well, have t had it as long but my first three shots out of it with factory ammo were all but touching. I like the venture stock better than the savage.

I have the savage model 11.22-250 as with every savage I have owned I'm very happy with it shoots sub moa with handloads and hornady ammunition.

I've had my T/C Venture for 3 years now and love it. It does have a shorter stock on it, which I appreciate when wearing heavy winter coats. It has a slick bolt and nice trigger. I can't comment on the Savage.

Originally Posted By: greengt88Check out my "going insane" thread...may be helpful

I checked out that thread... I am 99.5% positive am leaning towards a .243, given that I do not reload. The 6.5 CM sounds awesome for whitetail deer. However, I plan to use the .243 for varmint and might give me more flexibility.

I plan to add a .308 sometime towards the end of 2015 as well.. and that is going to be a Howa 1500.

I am liking the thomoson venture also after habdling several today. Along with the savages. I have 3 savages now...all shoot sub moa with hornady or other quality ammo. I want a Howa in .204 very badly for some reason, will go Savage for the 6.5CM and am undecided on .243 for now.. between thompson, tikka, weatherby and rem 700 for that.

If you are looking at the 6.5 calibers, I'd suggest you consider the .260 in a Savage11/111 as well. Ammo is a little more available than 6.5 CM and it performs like a .243 on steroids. Mild recoil and great accuracy.

Originally Posted By: greengt88.260 ammo is double the price...they had 2 boxes for 54.99/box. Its that much to order it as well....6.5 is way cheaper.
I've never paid over $33-35/ box for .260 here but I'm sure you are correct that 6.5 CM is less expensive and Hornady does make a good Superformance load for it.

Originally Posted By: basdjsOriginally Posted By: greengt88.260 ammo is double the price...they had 2 boxes for 54.99/box. Its that much to order it as well....6.5 is way cheaper.
I've never paid over $33-35/ box for .260 here but I'm sure you are correct that 6.5 CM is less expensive and Hornady does make a good Superformance load for it.

How does the 6.5 CM do on coyotes? Too much?

Well, my LGS helped me sell my Hi Point 40 pistol. Also had him order me a Savage Trophy Hunter in 7mm-08.....
smile.gif
Should be here this week.....

I have 8 TC venture rifles my 204 and 25/06 will shoot groups I am proud of. I wanted a 280 rem I looked at Remington over a 1000.00 I give 440.00 new for mine with a 75.00 rebate had a nice muzzle brake put on and a Nikon scope and reload the 139 gr SST will shoot will under a inch. I am not a fan of the blade triggers accu triggers . I like TC warrtanny lifetime 1 inch moa . Can't go wrong .. I have 2 Tikka's a 22 250 and a 25/06 and 2 TC venture in the same calibers the TC venture will out group the tikka . TC or a Savage TC all the way.

Originally Posted By: JaxTellerLooking to add another deer/varmint rifle to the collection. Considering something in .243 - already have a Tikka T3 and a Rossi 30-30 that we use.

I have it narrowed down to the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter (with Nikon Scope) or the T/C venture (have a Vortex scope ready to go). Both seem to be in my price range and feel good in my hands. Savage has the 111 in 6.5 creedmoor, but since I do not reload, I might have a tough time with ammo..

Does anyone here have any recommendations/experience with these 2?

I have both. Like the feeling of my savages better and the fact that swapping for a custom barrels is as simple as removing the barrel nut and unscrewing the barrel for the new one. Lot more of aftermarket parts for the savage also. As far as accuracy for both, the Thompson Center is every bit as accurate as a savage out of the box and maybe better coming from the t/c. I had a t/c venture in 300 win mag that would shoot a .62" group @ 100yards. Both are great guns it just simply comes down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

I traded my tikka t 3 yesterday for a new TC venture 22 250. I like the 1@12 over the 1@14. Plus I am Turing this one into a AI. So I will have 9 tc 's now.

Back