match hollow point vs. boat tail hollow point

molunkus

I looking at fur friendly hollow points in .223 from Black Hill. What's the difference between match and boat tail? Recomendations?

First of all I don't use a 223, I use a 220 swift. I don't use Match or hollow Points, I use spitzers, I know they do the job so I stick with them. I would think they would do the same out of a 223, Good Hunting

My calling partner was using 52 gr. Sierra BTHP match grade bullets on coyotes last week and got huge blowup holes on each one he shot. One shot was at about 175 yards looking right at him and it made a hole as big as a softball in the neck. Next one was a 100 yard broadside shot to the heart lung area. Baseball size hole going in, small hole on the other side. Another coyote was shot at about 100 yards looking right at him and there was a huge hole in the chest area big enough to stuff a softball into it.

I like hollowpoint bullets for my .17 Remington (Starke RPV bullets with the big hollowpoint hole), but favor the spire or spitzer point bullets in my 22-250. That being said, I also use the 40 gr. Nosler BT bullet in my new Tikka Master Sporter in 22-250 caliber because I haven't had time to work up a lead tipped bullet load. The Nosler BTs have performed well for me. I did get a 50¢ size entrance hole on one coyote at 125 yards when I hit the shoulder bone. No exit on that one.

I wouldn't be afraid of the black hills matchpoints. I am currently shooting a savage .223 with black hills 52gr match hollow points and have had only one get up out of 10 so far (wouldn't have went far but my partner had to make sure). Very fur friendly also. Only have had one exit wound and it was smaller than the entry wound, wouldn't have even noticed it except for the blood spot that showed up in the pickup. This is my personal experience thus far so I would have to say "give 'em a try"!

I shoot "Hornady match 52 grain boat tail hollow points" (Stock #2249) and have little or no pelt damage. I had a friend just like Silverfox's that shot Sierra 52 gr.BTHP and he had huge holes with his Sierras also. I very seldom have an exit hole with the Hornadys and it kills them quick. Love to hear that "Whoop" when they hit too. I tried full metal jackets for a while but they would still run a ways and I hunt heavy sage and lost some when they got too far. Just my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

a friend shot a house cat at 10 ft with fmj 223.
ran under his house and had to finish it next day with a .22
223 hit just behind ribcage.
shoulda killed a small critter like that very clean but
didn't.
wasn't big exit hole. hole in and out about the same-small.

he shot a doe with the same right thru lungs.
ran a long way. easy to trail in snow.
finally found her dead.
i won't be shootin fmj at critters ever never.
ric

Match bullets are for paper targets, nothing else.

The boattail bullet was designed to stabalize the bullets at long range.

Spitzer bullets are probably the best for hunting and do little fur damage and give the best penetration on the animal.

Hollow points are fine to depending on the thickness of the bullet jacket.

V-Max,blitz king, ballastic tips are designed to blow up on impact with targets. Sometimes to explosive. Bullets don't richochet. Jackets are very thin, lead is softer in jacket.

Velocity is always a factor on impact with the target.

I wouldn't shoot anything with an FMJ bullet and the richochets are very dangerous.

I have had real good luck with serria 40 grain Hollow point out of my 22-250 going about 3700 fps goes in blows up and no fur damage

Oh man here I go. There once was a time that I would always say that you shouldn't ever use match bullets while hunting. I would faithfully state all that I had read, they are not hunting bullets, they are meant for paper only, match grade bullets are inconsistent, and more. But and don't ya hate the but, for the past 5+ years I've been hunting with the same partner. He always uses Sierra 52grain match bullets in his 22-250. For the first few months I hunted with him I tried to get him to stop and start using real honest to goodness hunting bullets. Not anymore. These bullets have been flat out killers on fox, bobcat, javelina and coyote. They are a bit rough on Arizona grey fox, but on everything else they have been excellent. Sure he has had a few blow-ups but nothing much to speak about. Well except for last weekend ........

We were calling rolling desert that had a very thick stand of trees. Coyotes would pop up at a reasonable distance but required a quick shot when a shot was available. Bill was up on his ladder and I was calling with one of my many variable pitched bite calls. Just shy of the 10 minute mark along comes this coyote. She trotted along until she stopped mostly behind a tree and mostly hidden by a roll in the ground. All Bill could see was her head. Knowing that this was the best shot he would have Bill drew down on her, centered the cross hairs high between her nose and left eye (the best angle for a sure brain hit). The bullet had much that it could hit on the way to her but Bill threaded the needle. The bullet hit her just below the eye and whow what a mess. Reminded us of those really gross movies of John Kennedy getting hit. We wanted to make jokes about him being able to make that shot at anytime, anyplace under any conditions, but held off because we didn't want to offend anybody................

Ky-ote, "Conservation of wildlife through the taking of predators by sportsman".....Great saying............that kinda sounds like I've heard it before somewhere. Maybe on the bottom of a CVCA business card and in there by-laws. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Where you ever a member?

Molunkus,

I’ve been using the Sierra 52 grain HPBT match bullet I my 22-250 almost exclusively since the early to mid 70’s and it has been a very reliable performer for me. Yes, from time to time I’ve had results that I didn’t expect but that has been the exception not the rule and most likely my fault and not the bullet. At least that has been my experience.

Bill

I shoot the 52 gr, match hollow points by black hills in my A.R. my rem model 7 and my Hand R ultra varminter . very little fur damage if any , and very accurate . I wont switch ever , they just work way to well for me . jerry .

To Danny B.>>>>>> It is the same phrase on the "Oregon Varmint Callers Association" card. Maybe they borrowed it from one another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back