CZ 527 .17 Hornet to Fireball?

Robinhood21

I've been thinking how I would love to have a .17 FB in that sweet little 527 action.

I was thinking of buying a .221 or .222 and rebarreling it but I knew I'd have just as much in that rebarrel as I did in the gun itself.

I don't know why I haven't thought of this sooner but I could buy a .17 hornet and have it rechambered to .17 fireball correct? Then get a .221 fb mag.

Can somebody confirm this? Hopefully I don't find out I'm crazy!

Since the rim diameters are different by .028 there would probably be an extraction issue, and the bolt face prob wouldn't be sized right. The new mag might work - not sure if the CZ is has a differently sized action for the hornet and the 221 - doubt it. The feed rails and ramp may be diff too - don't know. Just thinking out loud. I'd say buy another gun.

If you want a 17FB then you will have to buy a 221 and have it re-barreled to 17. You can always resell your 221 barrel. Then you won't have to mess with the mag. If you go with a 222 then you will have to mess with the mag.

Personally, I've been thinking going 223, rebarrel to 17-223, then download or not depending on what I want out of it. More versatile on the top end and can still cover the bottom end as needed with cheap brass and one set of bushing dies to cover my 223's also.

If your smith can't open a bolt face and fit an extractor WHY THE HECK would you let him rechamber?

Use the right guy and it's a one stop shop.

Last edited:
I used to have several posts here but somehow they were deleted sometime last year. I'm on mostly everyday for education. That being said, I feel compelled to offer a personal experience concerning your project, as I had a similar idea a few years ago. My project was based on a Rem 592 5mm mag bolt gun, which is a pretty stout receiver for what it is. Some crafty gunsmith had figured out how to convert the rimfire bolt to a centerfire based on either a hornet case or fireball. I contacted the guy and made arrangements for the conversion in 17 mk4 and sent my rifle off to him. While the machine work was being done I used the time to strip the stock and apply a hand rubbed oil finish in order to give the new pac-nor barreled conversion a nice saddle to ride in. When I got the rife back the machine work was superb. I fitted/glassed the action and set it up just like I would any other rifle. I don't remember the starting load but it was a minimum charge of lil-gun under a jumped 20 gr vmax (did everything I could to reduce any potential pressure until I had some experience with this new conversion). First pull of the trigger resulted in a blown receiver, broken bolt and shattered stock. Luckily the only damage I experienced was a stinger in the wrist. It could have just been a bad day, and I am sure that there are a number of others that had the same conversion and it worked great, but there was nothing wrong with the load, the bedding, or anything else, other than the platform was not appropriate for the desired cartridge ...I'm aware of the leap from a rimfire receiver to centerfire opposed to hornet to larger centerfire, but the moral of the story is, your project can certainly be done technically, however, follow the advice of some prior posts and start with a platform that is designed to contain your cartridge class and avoid some potential unpleasantry and irrepairable harm.

Originally Posted By: rdubI used to have several posts here but somehow they were deleted sometime last year. I'm on mostly everyday for education. That being said, I feel compelled to offer a personal experience concerning your project, as I had a similar idea a few years ago. My project was based on a Rem 592 5mm mag bolt gun, which is a pretty stout receiver for what it is. Some crafty gunsmith had figured out how to convert the rimfire bolt to a centerfire based on either a hornet case or fireball. I contacted the guy and made arrangements for the conversion in 17 mk4 and sent my rifle off to him. While the machine work was being done I used the time to strip the stock and apply a hand rubbed oil finish in order to give the new pac-nor barreled conversion a nice saddle to ride in. When I got the rife back the machine work was superb. I fitted/glassed the action and set it up just like I would any other rifle. I don't remember the starting load but it was a minimum charge of lil-gun under a jumped 20 gr vmax (did everything I could to reduce any potential pressure until I had some experience with this new conversion). First pull of the trigger resulted in a blown receiver, broken bolt and shattered stock. Luckily the only damage I experienced was a stinger in the wrist. It could have just been a bad day, and I am sure that there are a number of others that had the same conversion and it worked great, but there was nothing wrong with the load, the bedding, or anything else, other than the platform was not appropriate for the desired cartridge ...I'm aware of the leap from a rimfire receiver to centerfire opposed to hornet to larger centerfire, but the moral of the story is, your project can certainly be done technically, however, follow the advice of some prior posts and start with a platform that is designed to contain your cartridge class and avoid some potential unpleasantry and irrepairable harm.

Thanks for the story and advise but the 527 receiver is more than enough for the .17 FB

I already made a 17FB CZ527. I did it by buying a 17 rem and setting the barrel back. Buy 221 bottom metal and magazine and your done! Perfect action for this caliber. This way doesn't cost much at all.

Originally Posted By: afhunter1I already made a 17FB CZ527. I did it by buying a 17 rem and setting the barrel back. Buy 221 bottom metal and magazine and your done! Perfect action for this caliber. This way doesn't cost much at all.

+1 I came across a similar deal with a cz 527 17 Rem that had been set back & re-chambered to 17 Fireball - still needing the 221 trigger guard. Recently swapped out the trigger guard and Mag for the 221 fireball. Not only does she shoot great, She now feeds and extracts flawlessly.

Would there be much call for the original trigger guard? I now have the 17 Remingtion magazeene and the trigger guard available & perhaps the varmint walnut stock. What would be a fair price for the take off items?

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21Originally Posted By: rdubI used to have several posts here but somehow they were deleted sometime last year. I'm on mostly everyday for education. That being said, I feel compelled to offer a personal experience concerning your project, as I had a similar idea a few years ago. My project was based on a Rem 592 5mm mag bolt gun, which is a pretty stout receiver for what it is. Some crafty gunsmith had figured out how to convert the rimfire bolt to a centerfire based on either a hornet case or fireball. I contacted the guy and made arrangements for the conversion in 17 mk4 and sent my rifle off to him. While the machine work was being done I used the time to strip the stock and apply a hand rubbed oil finish in order to give the new pac-nor barreled conversion a nice saddle to ride in. When I got the rife back the machine work was superb. I fitted/glassed the action and set it up just like I would any other rifle. I don't remember the starting load but it was a minimum charge of lil-gun under a jumped 20 gr vmax (did everything I could to reduce any potential pressure until I had some experience with this new conversion). First pull of the trigger resulted in a blown receiver, broken bolt and shattered stock. Luckily the only damage I experienced was a stinger in the wrist. It could have just been a bad day, and I am sure that there are a number of others that had the same conversion and it worked great, but there was nothing wrong with the load, the bedding, or anything else, other than the platform was not appropriate for the desired cartridge ...I'm aware of the leap from a rimfire receiver to centerfire opposed to hornet to larger centerfire, but the moral of the story is, your project can certainly be done technically, however, follow the advice of some prior posts and start with a platform that is designed to contain your cartridge class and avoid some potential unpleasantry and irrepairable harm.

Thanks for the story and advise but the 527 receiver is more than enough for the .17 FB

Exactamundo ^^^^ CZ only makes one 527 action.

I'd be surprised if that "gunsmith" is still in business.

Originally Posted By: afhunter1I already made a 17FB CZ527. I did it by buying a 17 rem and setting the barrel back. Buy 221 bottom metal and magazine and your done! Perfect action for this caliber. This way doesn't cost much at all.

That's another good way of doing it but you'll end up with a Varmint model because for some crazy reason only know in CZland, CZ doesn't offer the 17R in the 527 American.

I like the American platform so I rebarreled a 221. No feeding issues what so ever.
I'd post a pic but I'm pretty sure everyone on this site's seen it.
blush.gif

Man I love that little rifle.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43Just buy a 527 in 17 Hornet. I have had the three center fire 17s and if I had to have just one it would be the 17 Hornet.

Not me. I have a 17AH, 17FB, and two 17Rem's.
The FB's my favorite but I'd never be without a 17R either.

That's another good way of doing it but you'll end up with a Varmint model because for some crazy reason only know in CZland, CZ doesn't offer the 17R in the 527 American.

I like the American platform so I rebarreled a 221. No feeding issues what so ever.
I'd post a pic but I'm pretty sure everyone on this site's seen it.
blush.gif

Man I love that little rifle. [/quote]

You have a point on the lighter weight American platform. I have the 527 American in 17 Hornet and I feel your love for the American platform.

Suppose Ill need keep an eye out for a 527 American take off 17 Hornet barrel. Sure a few will feel the need to alter their 17 hornet to a 20 hornet.

No mistake though I do love this 527 17 Fireball in this Varmint configuration.

Originally Posted By: 17Loony

You have a point on the lighter weight American platform. I have the 527 American in 17 Hornet and I feel your love for the American platform.

No mistake though I do love this 527 17 Fireball in this Varmint configuration.

Fortunately CZ's varmint contour is more of a med. contour so it's still a good path to the same destination for allot less money.

Either way a 527 chambered in 17FB's definitely worth the effort.

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21I've been thinking how I would love to have a .17 FB in that sweet little 527 action.

I was thinking of buying a .221 or .222 and rebarreling it but I knew I'd have just as much in that rebarrel as I did in the gun itself.

I don't know why I haven't thought of this sooner but I could buy a .17 hornet and have it rechambered to .17 fireball correct? Then get a .221 fb mag.

Can somebody confirm this? Hopefully I don't find out I'm crazy!

I think this is a great Idea. You or your smith will still need to change out the extractor and like you said, you will want the 221 fireball mag for the 17 fireball. I have got a call and an E-mail out to a smith that specializes in the CZ 527 to make sure this is a viable option.

The Smith I had in mind had no interest in this 17 Fireball project. Said he was scheduled 18 months out.
Looking a little further it seems swapping the whole bolt assembly out and re-chamber may be the way to go here. Think
I recall the bolt head was harder than any other bolt on the market.

In the event you could locate acquire a 221 fireball that would be best with say a Pacnor 3 groove. 222 would be another option
though a new Stock and magazine would be needed their.

I like the idea of CZ ofering a kit that may include 17 Fireball barrel or perhaps a 20 Var-targ. perhaps another option with a
non-chambered blank. Suppose they could do a non labeled 221 Magazine Then the action and trigger guard withe 223
bolt face. Your choice of stocks excluding the M1 as I do not think we could talk them into the 221 mag shortened to the
two to three round mag configuration at this time. You choose Your firearm your way.

Originally Posted By: 17Loony

In the event you could locate acquire a 221 fireball that would be best with say a Pacnor 3 groove. 222 would be another option
though a new Stock and magazine would be needed their.

Why would you need a new stock?
Also,,,, the only difference in the 221 and 222 magazine is a spacer. A guy over on Saubier made one a few years ago. He posted pix of it. Simple deal, it's just a piece of plastic. Matter of fact, there's even a few guys that swear they converted 223's to 17FB. They even used unmodified 223 magazines but it's internet hearsay soooo????

Forget the "kit's", here's exactly what CZ needs to come out with.
527 American with a shorter magazine and modified bolt handle to accommodate lower rings chambered in 17FB.
This one has a 9 twist 3 grove Pac-Nor but there's nothing wrong with CZ's 17cal barrels.
He11,,, they already make all those parts in one caliber or another,,, all they need is a reamer.

To bad CZ didn't get on board with the 17FB though. That might have saved it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePete
17Loony said:
Why would you need a new stock?
Also,,,, the only difference in the 221 and 222 magazine is a spacer. A guy over on Saubier made one a few years ago. He posted pix of it. Simple deal, it's just a piece of plastic. Matter of fact, there's even a few guys that swear they converted 223's to 17FB. They even used unmodified 223 magazines but it's internet hearsay soooo????

Forget the "kit's", here's exactly what CZ needs to come out with.
527 American with a shorter magazine and modified bolt handle to accommodate lower rings chambered in 17FB.
This one has a 9 twist 3 grove Pac-Nor but there's nothing wrong with CZ's 17cal barrels.
He11,,, they already make all those parts in one caliber or another,,, all they need is a reamer.
To bad CZ didn't get on board with the 17FB though. That might have saved it.

Can't say I have seen a 222 in a American configuration. Every cz 527 222 I have seen has been their Lux or the full stock version. Sorry they Do not appeal to me. Which reminds me. Know of anyone who would like a Stock off a CZ 527 Royall?

I believe the 223 conversions may work very well. The 17 Rem Conversion I started out with worked quit well. Though She works feeds great from the 221 Fireball Magazine since changing the trigger guard and magazine over to 221 Fireball.

Back on subject Love the rifle in the photo And I agree if CZ would put something together near exactly like that. Did you say you would like to trade for a Remington 700 LTD LVSF straight up?
The only thing that could hurt sales is ammo. I have been rolling my own from 223 from the start. Not many would go through that trouble. ****ing Remington marketing any way urinating down their own leg. Have a great thing here if they could market Like Hornady, we would have a 17 fireball live and flourishing IMHO.

Any way I agree they already have all the right components. Just need the right reamer, oops! and supply line that we might depend on for ammo or at least brass.

Gave the High Planes Fireball brass a spin and it worked for me with considerably less work. still had to anneal brass and neck turn though.

Last edited:
Back