Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#282 - 03/16/01 09:38 AM Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dip.Skoal Wintergreen to be exact,and was wondering if yall thought it hurts to dip while your calling.This might be a dumb question but my cousin and I were fightin about it the other day.We've called in plenty of coyotes,but he says we'd call in more if I wouldnt dip while we hunt.Just wondering what yall thought.

Later,
Justin

#283 - 03/16/01 12:34 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Rowdy Offline

Loc: Rising Sun, IN
I used to dip. When the dentist told me my teeth were falling out and they couldn't clean them because my gums were bleeding too bad, I quit. I know, nobody likes a quitter.
I can say that since I quit my success has increased. I no longer am aggravated because I left my can in the truck. My hold is steadier. I can concentrate on the art of hunting instead of craving the nicotene. I can also afford more gear. I figured I was chewing a can a day @ $3 per can. I just started depositing that money every pay day in a hunting account. I just bought a rifle and am planning a fall hunting trip.
So to answer your question, while I was chewing I never saw any major effect of my chewing on the wildlife. Your body odor is much more alarming than the tobacco.

#284 - 03/16/01 01:19 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
howler Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Glasgow, Mt.
I chewed skoal for 25 years haven't had any for 4 years now, But I cn smell soembody opening up a can of skoal or cope from quite a distance, I know when bowhunting it made a huge, i don't suppose it makes a difference over 100 yards, less than that you bet.

#285 - 03/16/01 01:56 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really don't feel that it makes a bit of difference.
If they can smell your chew, I assure you that they are already smelling both your chew and your smelly armpits.

I chew on every stand. Skoal longcut wintergreen. Just a chewin and a squallin and spittin and a killin.

Heck of a deal.

#286 - 03/16/01 02:34 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Silverfox Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Williston, ND
Don't dip, never have but I had a 2-pack a day cigarette habit. I quit cold turkey back in 1974. I use the money I would be spending on cigarettes to buy guns, reloading supplies, and golf balls.

I think my kids and wife really appreciated the fact that I quit. Their lungs and mine are a whole lot better off for it.

Now, if I could only get my son to quit dipping, I'd really be happy. He is hooked on that stuff, but good.

#287 - 03/16/01 02:36 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Nebraska Coyote Hunter Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Elkhorn, NE USA
Gawd Craig, remind me to never borrow your calls!

#288 - 03/16/01 02:59 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Greenside Offline
Die Hard Member

#289 - 03/16/01 03:31 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess a preson could have worse habits. Skoal fine cut wintergreen is one of mine. If a coyote gets close enought to smell wintergreen I hope to make it the last thing it smells. I don't think the Skoal will make a difference, movement is the enemy. Got'a learn to swallow remember that's what got Clinton in trouble! ;-) CH_1

#290 - 03/16/01 05:15 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Laughing geez I love it got Clinton in trouble. Lets see I had something to add. Oh yea I started dipping to quit smoking, and it worked. Only I found it was just as hard to quit dipping. I have been using a non tobacco product for a couple years now, called Smokey Mountain herbal snuff. Good flavor, mint, dont make my gums sore, enhanced my love life and cleared the algae from my fish tank. Sure is a lot easier on me than the skoal was. My horse loved it so I have to think coyotes should come to it too.

#291 - 03/16/01 06:00 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Man, I hate Skoal! My kid has been dipping since Little league, disgusting habit. Every trip, I have brown streaks down my doors, and a jar that tips over all the time, which isn't so bad, but it always seems to leak on other stuff. Why can't he keep it in one place, and secure? Asking too much, I guess?

One time, he needed to spit and used my coffe cup, I could have rung his neck just for that, alone. But, it was dark, we changed drivers, and I poured myself a cup of coffee while he was in the back. I can't begin to describe the tantrum I threw after I slowed down (70 MPH) and gagged! So, he rinsed it out; big deal! It still stunk, and I wouldn't use it after that. I'd like to drop half of a fresh coyote turd in his cup and put the lid back on....one of these days; I just might do it, too! He probably wouldn't notice; that Skoal is evil stuff.

Good hunting. LB

edited because I can't even spell it right.

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 03-17-2001).]

#292 - 03/16/01 09:53 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Christopher Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Ohio
Stop it, Leonard, Stop it! I'm laughin so hard my sides hurt. It reminds me of my hunting mentor, Grandpa. We kids were always amazed that he could fall asleep with a wad of chew in his mouth and the saliva would be above his gum line and still not dribble out of his bottom lip. A certified "Red Man" master. Always an old 1/2 gallon milk carton or such next to the chair near full of the poison. Life hasn't been the same without him.

#293 - 03/16/01 11:07 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Silverfox Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Williston, ND
Say, do you know how you can tell when you've met a level headed snuff dipper?

You can tell because the snoose juice is dripping out of both sides of his mouth!

#294 - 03/17/01 04:31 AM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Rob Meyers Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: SW MT
Leonard,
I can't stop laughing.

#295 - 03/17/01 10:37 AM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You guys that are laughing, sound like you might have been guilty of something equally trecherous, at one time or another? LB

#296 - 03/17/01 11:48 AM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
UTcaller Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Utah
Filthy habit.Chewed a bit in my younger days but not anymore.I definitely think a coyote will smell that sh@# from quite a way off.

#297 - 03/17/01 02:35 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
howler Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Glasgow, Mt.
Good Call UTCaller

#298 - 03/17/01 10:35 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
ryank Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Wisconsin
I have mixed feelings on this subject. I chew but never would while on a stand (self concious I guess) I think something in wintergreen is a heck of alot better then something like copenhacken. NOW THAT STUFF STINKS!!!!! I myself can smell in from a hundred yards away.

Maybe chewing while at a stand wont hurt your odds any but it most definatly isn't going to help ever. (I would bet money on that one)

Later,
RK

p.s. Hey Leonard, was your coffee alittle grainy??? LOL

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

#299 - 03/18/01 11:05 AM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Cal Taylor Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Gillette Wy.
I have proven several hundred times that coyotes love Copenhagen. It was a secret that I was trying to keep to myself, but I figure I'll let you guys in on it. I have killed alot of coyotes that I'm sure wouldn't have came otherwise. Skoal doesn't work for me, because I have a hard time getting my rifle steady while gagging and puking, and I don't think that coyotes like it as well as Copenhagen anyway. I believe that every coyote I have ever called has been with a chew in. I've been going to quit, but I think my calling would go to heck. I've heard about it happening to other quitters, and I'm not willing to take the risk.

#300 - 03/23/01 05:44 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
nd coyote killer Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Grand Forks, ND
I switch back and forth between copenhagen and Kodaik straight i chew on stand just never take one out while going to a stand or leaving it. i don't spit i swallow so i don't think that i give out much chew scent. My brother was spitting copenhagen every minute to two minutes and we called in a double and took them so i don't think that they know that the smell means humans!! It keeps me from getting to excited so i will keep doing it!!!!

#301 - 03/23/01 09:13 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Tim Behle Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: McNeal, AZ
I'm with you Cal, I know I've killed a lot more coyotes while chewing my Copenhagen that I've ever seen with out it. Of course, there are few people in the last 20+ years who have ever seen me with out it.

I remember swearing I would quit if it ever got up to a dollar a can. The last time I quit, it was at my wife's insistence. A day or two later she came home with a new can and literally threw it at me. I guess she has grown accustom to me chewing.

Copenhagen is probably the main reason I use Electronic calls as often as I do. Mouth calls are a quick way to ruin a perfectly good dip.

#302 - 03/24/01 04:14 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey ND coyote caller! Man, that takes the cake!

Reminds me of the lyrics of an old Rock and Roll song from the sixties: "he drank the hot coffee right from the spout, ate the hot grease from the frying pan. Said to me now you better run, and don't be here when the morning come."
(may not be word for word)

Even that thing wouldn't swallow Copenhagen, deliberately! My hat's off to ya.

Good hunting. LB

#303 - 03/25/01 09:13 AM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well boys that just about sums it up,a definate yes and no.Thats what I love about this place.Thanks for the imput guys.

Later,
Justin

#304 - 03/25/01 09:32 AM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Rich Cronk Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Western Iowa
Copenhagen is just German slang for "horse dung", which explains why Cal Taylor has learned that coyotes are attracted to it. That stuff is not fit for human consumption. Skoal long cut "wintergreen" is my own personal favorite. I hardly ever spit though. Only way most folks know I use the stuff is that they see the tell-tale round bulge in my pocket.

#305 - 03/26/01 12:03 AM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Wiley E Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Kadoka, S.D.
I'm a skoal man.....I'm a skoal maaaan! Hey Craig, I think you may have the lyrics to a new song......Dippin, and a spittin, and a squallin', and a hackin, ssssspppptttttuuuueeeee.

When you really get them yippers called in close you can "spit some beachnut in that dude's eyes and shoot em with your old 45" or squint your eyes real close together like Jose Whales so ya got crows feet and spit on your dog and say "mangy red bone hound". Wiley E

#306 - 03/29/01 04:30 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You may laugh at this but it is true!!! When you dip snuff in cold weather your feet get colder easier!! This is a true statement. Nicotine causes your blood to thin .. therefore.. poor circulation. I dip and I know!!

------------------
Bus-Bus

#307 - 03/31/01 12:52 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
songdogger Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Mineral Wells, TX
Copenhagen,it makes you feel so gooood!
Anyway, yes, I dip and like an earlier post said, if they can smell it, then they can smell your armpits, farts or whatever. Nicotene constricts your capillaries and causes extremeties to have a hard time staying warm. That's what gloves and good boots are for. I don't know if it cuts down on my kill, because I smell like musty farts all the time anyway.

Hey, Rich! I tell everyone that's my condom. yeah, right!!

------------------
B.Pierce

[This message has been edited by songdogger (edited 03-31-2001).]

#308 - 03/31/01 12:58 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Songdogger isn't lying when he says he smells like farts...This morning I think he SH*T his britches...... I know they can smell him a mile away..ha!ha!

------------------
Bus-Bus

#309 - 03/31/01 02:27 PM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
Bob Mc Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Fort Jones, California, USA
I smoked for 35 years, then switched to Copenhagen and Redman for another 15. The dentist finally said my gums were getting bad, so I walked away from it 2&1/2 years ago and never looked back. Now when I walk into a store and see the price of cigarettes, I just laugh. Do I notice any difference in my calling? Not really. I never did smoke at a stand, and I tried not to chew either.

#310 - 04/01/01 11:18 AM Re: Anybody out there dip snuff?
songdogger Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Mineral Wells, TX
Hey, I resemble that remark! Sheeeeyuweee!

------------------
B.Pierce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.