Thoughts on MOA vs Mil

TXCOONDOG

I'm going to purchase a new scope for range use.

I've always used MOA (1/8, 1/4, &1/2" adjustments) , but wondering if I should learn the Mil/Mil system.

Thoughts or comments ?

No matter what your turrets need to match your reticle so when you measure you can dial instantly with no math. I like first focal plane also so the measurement is true at any power esp when shooting alone. When my spotter calls a miss on a target it is called out in Mil's and I can reach up and dial corrections instantly or hold correction.

Another advantage to a Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA system is : I also have couple of scopes I move from weapon to weapon and it takes no more than 2 shots to sight in. One to find zero. Measure with reticle and dial correction then one more to confirm.

For What you want to do with it I would go with a Mil/Mil in FFP. FFP vs SFP is another topic.
smile.gif
It is so easy even a cave man can do it. I use them for everything that I dial.

I have a few MOA scopes left but they are on weapons that never change dope. They were sighted in and have never been moved.

Just about all my weapons are topped with Mil/Mil FFP glass and the ones that are not will be as funds become available.

Again... Make sure no matter what you get turret and reticle must match.

Personal preference IMO. MOA has more adjustment. As stated make your whatever reticle your using matches the adjustments. Why they even make MOA/MIL scopes is a mystery to me. Probably to feed the wanna be "Tacticool" Shooters out there that will never use their equipment for what its made for.

I have always used MOA so it is easier for me to use and make adjustment calls me. However all the guys I shoot with run MIL, which sucks when they are throwing wind calls and I have to try and convert to MOA in my head while wind is shifting. There are a lot of good reticles out there to choose from, but depends on your intended use for the scope.

The FFP vs SFP conversation is an entirely different subject in itself too. I have a SFP Nightforce, and have learned to use it properly. However it would be nice to have a FFP scope when the mirage is kicking your butt and you have to back scope out to properly see target.

As with anything, How Much do you want to spend vs intended usage.

I know the difference between FFP & SFP and should've mentioned that this will be a fixed power scope (Leupold, Sightron, Weaver, or SWFA SS).

Instead of saying "Learn", I should have said get use to the clicks being .10 and a full Mil being 3.6" at 100 yds (36" @1000) over the Minute of Angle that I've used all my life.

I never cared much for using hash, mil dots, etc for holdovers as I perfer to dial at the range.

However, I can see their advantage in the field (hunting) or for measuring, but to be honest, most of my shots are under 200 yds (that's a different subject too) in the field.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Why they even make MOA/MIL scopes is a mystery to me.

Your not alone, I think it was a sick joke that made lots of money so they just went with it.
smile.gif

The SWFA HD series of scopes are a great value for the money. I have several.

Back