Pig And Turkey

Wedgy

I got out to my buddies cattle ranch for a few days of pig hunting and to scout turkeys for my girlfriend and friend who were coming up Saturday for the turkey opener. Thursday morning I spotted 3 hogs at ~1,000 yards and got to 400 yards where there was a herd of cows between that would bust me and scare the pigs(wouldn't be the first time) so I decided to take the shot from there. The pigs were slowly working a hillside so I set up in the shade and ranged 394 yards. I normally shoot my .243 Win but my girlfriend had it so I had my 6.5x284 which has held 0.4 MOA out to 800 yards and topped with a VX-6 4-24x it's easy to make a 400 yard shot let alone with no wind, a solid rest, and a fairly stationary target. I waited for one to get clear of the brush and broadside then let it rip.....WHACK !
A solid hit and the pig was rolling down the hill.
The tip of the barrel was where the pig was.

Looking back where I shot from

As luck would have it the pig rolled to a perfect spot, the road.

You can see where it flattened the grass out and bleeding along the way.

I gutted it and transferred it to the pig carrier. AKA the roof of my Subaru

Back to camp for weighing(165 gutted) and skinning.

The shot hit the spine taking out a vertebrae, clipping the heart and lungs with the angle it went thru.

I got the turkeys patterned and was ready for my buddy Saturday, girlfriend was sick most of the week and stayed home. He's what I call a Starbuck's Hunter; has all new gear but doesn't know anything about hunting. So I finally get him to stop moving and be quiet, and picking his gun up every time one gobbles, as I'm calling turkeys in....get one to 30 yards and signal for him to shoot. He flinches but no shot....shoot the bird...I'm about ready to blast this bird and it takes everything I have not to shoot it. Then he panics and is waving his arms around and scares the bird off. He didn't cycle the slide far enough back to release a shell from the mag. He should just drop one in the chamber then close it. Lesson learned. After 20 minutes I get the bird back to 25 yards and he's dead this time.
That was just lucky. First turkey for my buddy and the first time that gun had ever been fired, I assumed he had at least patterned it. Real nice turkey with an 8" beard and 1" spurs.

Then he missed a pig at 130 yards walking directly at him.
Starbucks Hunter I tell you. LOL
Had a great time !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back