Ever have a decoy dog run off?

Originally Posted By: HPWOver the last couple years I have hunted more mountainous and treed terrain, making it easier to lose track of the dog. I like mine to range some, so I never tried to keep him close. Anymore I don't even run the collar on him much, as he knows the drill and doesn't need me messing him up. A couple times he got too far away when it was time to go. I hiked back out to the truck, drove out to the main road, parked and ate a sandwich. A while later he comes trailing up the road, following the scent. Bawled at me for a good bit when he finally got to the truck, but doesn't disappear for too long anymore. Sometimes you just have to let a dog work things out themselves.

Now I know where Rex gets it from. I've found that he'll either be back at the truck or wandering the road as I'm driving out. I'd still like to know where he is and may get a GPS collar at some point.

GPS can be nice, talk to a guy who had one of his hog dogs picked up off a road, said he notices when his dog on the GPS was hauling azz down a road, he got it back and honest mistake on the old guy that picked it up

I have seen some dogs that will actually go out and find coyotes and bring some back at times, when otherwise they would not have came to the call. So, there are times where a dog can produce more coyotes.

i let mine go. if it gets rough enough they will come back.

my dogs hang around for a bit when first on stand. but if coyotes locate and are close or if they get a whiff, they leave and go to them. and if nothing after about 7-10 minutes i let them take off and go look for a bit while i continue to call. a lot of times they have come back with a pair in tow. they were obviously not coming to the call but the dogs produced them.

thats what i want out of a dog. other people want something different. in the end, its all about having a good time and killing critters.

Last edited:
Back