LION Question from a PM Michigan member

No not hogs just things in general for thing to be relocated.... I heard a rumor not knowing the true or not but they were looking into maybe requiring s tag.

Oh... I don't see MDC ever requiring tags for hogs or limits, ect. They really want them gone. You have hogs in your area yet?

We have s few. Ive seen some in by montaulk state park group of ten. Seen some killed in licking area down by the piney river and I deer hunt licking have had a few on game camera do ya they are around havent seen any where I could kill them yet.

I hope the lions (no,not Detroit) will concetrate on feral pigs instead of our deer herd. Course mdnr says theres only a few lions in the state came from north and south dakota. $500,000 is being spendt to track the pigs with collars by the mdnr. they want to collar 18 pigs total. I just don't know anymore about the why's.

Originally Posted By: shawn@moWe have s few. Ive seen some in by montaulk state park group of ten. Seen some killed in licking area down by the piney river and I deer hunt licking have had a few on game camera do ya they are around havent seen any where I could kill them yet.

It'll happen, I run into as many of them in the spring while turkey hunting as any other time. Tracking in fresh snow is good. The guys with dogs and horses or mules do the best of course.

Using dogs, horses, mules? unheard of in mich. not 4 wheelers? Mostly these feral pigs are running around on private farmland where the food is. So this private farmland presents a problem to shoot one.

Dogs, horses or mules is the most efficient way to root hogs out of the steep and heavily timbered Ozark terrain. Motorized vehicles aren't allowed on most public ground in Missouri, definitely not off established trails. Much of the Ozark's is too steep and thick for extensive ATV use anyway. On blocks of public ground that number well into the tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of acres reaching hogs that are bayed by dogs deep in the interior won't happen unless you have equestrian help. Private farm fields and small wood lots would be different I suppose.

Picture of typical public ground Ozark terrain I took while turkey hunting one spring morning...

I havent heard too many but I dont get to listen that much between work at 4 in the morning and a two year old sleeping patterns. But have heard people say they have. Got up one morning to take dogs out at 6 30 7ish heard 2 out on the porch that was it though.

They should be ready to crank up pretty good anytime now, given decent weather. We have been hearing some here and there.

Had a guy telling me he heard some while on the farm whipped out a caller to ser if he get them to answer but was no time they just showed up lol 3 of them so they are in full throttle answering snd coming in

Going back to the opening post, yes it is feasible. Idaho collared some lions a few years back as part of a study and within a few months had one turn up 600 miles away in Nevada. Another collared lion from Utah was captured 400 miles away in Colorado a relatively short time later.

Males in particular have their brains hard wired to seek out a territory and most become transients particularly in their younger years. Ask any experienced houndsman and they'll tell you horror stories about dumping their dogs on a "travelling tom." 25 miles in a single night is nothing for a young tom on the move.

Females on the other hand generally stay within a few miles from where they were born. So based on my experience with lions, what the Michigan DNR is saying makes sense to me.

thanks for the comment on the roaming males lions found in michigan. i still don't get why they travel so far away from where the female lions are in there home state?

Originally Posted By: randall729 thanks for the comment on the roaming males lions found in michigan. i still don't get why they travel so far away from where the female lions are in there home state?

Where there are females there are generally bigger meaner toms too that have established territories in the area with an intolerance for interlopers. What can a young tom to do but to journey on?? The fact they show up in areas far from any females only means they are looking for love in all the wrong places.....
unsure.gif

Back