new gong

skinin_bonz

Got an old manhole cover and thought it could be repurposed into a great target. Should have waited longer between colors. 7in bull. Got it set out at 750 yrds.

Have you shot it yet? How did it hold up? I have one gong of the AR500 stuff and it is some hard stuff. IT's 10 inches and at 800+ it can be missed on a windy day.

Originally Posted By: tnshootistI have one gong of the AR500 stuff and it is some hard stuff.

Harder than woodpecker lips!!

manhole covers are made of cast iron. the cast iron manhole covers i have shot were no match for bullets. drilled holes right through them.
smile.gif

I will post pics.....the farmers across the tree row were workin ground yesterday. Dust bowl winds....wasnt worth trying. Im hoping its big enuff to miss and still see my hits.

We have several ship breaking yards where they cut up old WWII vessels and I was given a piece of 3" thick armor plate which was about 18" square. It was supposedly (torch) cut from a gun turret. I welded a piece of 3" angle iron on the back of it (since I'm a dauber, not a welder, I was pretty proud of my welds which were some of my best looking beads.) but when I pecked it w/chipping hammer, the plate fell and I barely jerked my foot out of the way in time to avoid a mashed toe!

Turned out to be cast iron, so I drilled and tapped two 1/2" holes and bolted the angle iron leg in place. I was surprised at how long it lasted @ the 200 yard berm at our club range. It got a lot of use and the heavier calibers would dimple the face about 1/8" deep. I would think that the manhole cover would hold up fairly well @ 800 yards but would avoid the magnums.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996 I would think that the manhole cover would hold up fairly well @ 800 yards but would avoid the magnums.

Regards,
hm

Im too small framed for magnum caibers....308...243 I hope it lasts a life time.

Here is one I found out in the hills not too far from My house. It was mounted on a tripod setup, making it portable.

They used a 4 way lug wrench bent on 3 sides to hold it together.

I'd keep it long range. I know a 444 will shoot through it at 100. I can also tell you 1/2" bridge beam will divot big time at 100, but it takes a 270 to shoot clean through.

Back