yet another question

reaper4

Just curious as to what kind of effect different primers have on the loads you guys are working up. I bought 1000 of the federal match AR primers and traded off the AR for a new bolt gun. I would rather not go out and buy new primers as I still have 200 of the AR primers left. should I use them in a bolt gun or am I better off with a BR4 or the likes?

If your firing pin will set them off then they're good to go. However, you'll have to verify your load when you switch back to a regular primer. I use 450s in pretty much everything.

Shoot with a gent who is quite meticulous in developing the best shooting load for a rifle. He's a retired chemist that likes to shoot on our 400-600 yd range with his rifles. About the only time I see him on our 200 yds or less range, he's zeroing a scope or developing a new load.

Anyway, whenever he's satisfied with various reloading factors for the most accurate load, the last test he performs concerns the primer to use. He'll try various brands/types of primers to see if it makes any difference in the loads accuracy/consistency. What primer generally performs best for him in his final test? Federal Gold Medal Match.

As for me, I've done similar experiments with primers. My conclusion is yep, a brand/type of primer can make a difference. Best example of difference for me was the time I used around 4 different primers and shot sets of three each of them. Shooting conditions were very good....no wind. End result on my 100 yd target was a vertical hole about 2" long and not quite 1/2" wide. I allowed my barrel to cool between each difference set of reloads. Rifle and load I was shooting in it, capable of 3 shot cloverleafs. Each primer had hit in a different vertical location on my target. Accuracy was good with each of them, they just hit target in a different spot.

that's very good info DGW thanks a lot. the primers I have a r federal AR gold medal match so hopefully they will shoot well. I sure hope that this bold gun sets of the primers or I will have 100 rounds to pull. I really appreciate the reply. I am very excited to shoot this rifle but am waiting on a new bore guide and longer rod to clean the factory gunk out of the barrel before I do

Back