Varget 223 loads

I did drink the Varget Kool Aid and it did not float my boat till I started shooting heavier bullets in the 223, and the 150-168g in the 308. H322 and H4895 do a much better job on the lighter bullets in accuracy and speed.

I know as components are on the short side everyone is trying to maximize their use of what ever powder they have.

24.5g of H322 with a 50g what ever in a 1-12 to 1-14 twists is simply magic in a 223. 24.5g of H4895 is magic with the 55's. I do want to get the best speed I can out of a powder with extreme accuracy. H4895 also worked better than Varget in my 22/250. Everyone raved on how Varget worked so well with the 243, mine liked IMR 4064 better, and win 760 even better yet. However, H4350 in the 243 with the 70g is magic at 3600+ fps, Varget did not come close in accuracy with 3/4" being about the best. The other powders shoot little tiny groups.

It seems that a lot of people have gotten away from the H322 in the 223 for the 40-55g bullets. This is probably do to marketing. If you want to shoot tiny, tiny groups with 40-53g bullets with some speed, I would urge you to try the H322, an Extreme powder. A typical load with a 50g would be 24.5g with a 14 twist, with a velocity of 3450 fps, and 23.5g for 55g at 3300-3350 fps, your rifle of course may vary a bit. You will not be unhappy with the decision, just buy a 8 lb keg of H322 if you see one for sale.

I have written this blistering attack on varget because with all the Hype, many are lead to believe it is the one powder cure all in most cartridges, and it is not unless you are satisfied with 1" groups, and in some cases, some VERY SLOW VELOCITIES.

I have had some people say that they go hunting in 105* temps and zero weather, they need temp stable powders. We used to go on 4 two week trips to the Dakota's a year carrying 6000-8000 rounds each. In those days, p. dog towns would stretch for 30 miles in places and be miles wide also. 600 roundS of centerfire a day was typical and 1200 on days where they were all out in a feeding frenzy. Our rifles shot Win 748 in 223's, Win 760 in 22/250, 243, 243 AI, along with some IMR 4064 scattered in. We adjusted for the hot temps by loading 1.0g less powder to compensate for the hot temps and loaded 1.0g more for temps at 20* and below. This type of thinking was taught by the old timers, and it WORKED. Marketing to keep interest in new product development has taught people to not be advanced reloaders and to realize that with any powder, there will be flucations. Also, loading at the rifle range teaches a guy Real fast what is going on with his equipment, and I can not stress this enough. If you are a shore Nuff rifle looney, then spend the money and time in developing a system to load at the rifle range...you will NEVER regret the money spent!!

When I was shooing registered Benchrest, we all loaded at the rifle range in between matches. We all shot H322 practically, with a few shooting Norma 203 and Vit N133 later on. In the morning when it was cold, we would add .2-.5g of powder, the warm up match would tell us what was going on. Then as the day warmed up, we would back off a tad on the powder charge. So, even with the temp sensitive powders, there are variations that have to be accounted for.

For the guys that live in really cold weather, they have the utmost challenge in working up loads where they may work up a load in 32*-40* weather, then go to 100* or down to below zero degrees. This kind of temp swing is the hardest challenge to a reloader to contend with.

If you want to do a simple test, freeze your ammo over night in your freezer, then transport to the range in a small ice chest filled with ice, shoot as fast as you can. Also, test for hot temps by putting the ammo in your arm pit. If you are going to experience high temps, leaving the ammo in your arm pit for 5 minutes will tell you if you have a problem.

I have written this blistering dissertation on Varget to try and teach the folks that are perhaps unaware that H322, H4895, and H4350 may well be better for their application than Varget. Also, we are in an age where powder is in short supply, and how to apply old time thinking to powders that ARE available that do not have the coatings on them to make them temp insensitive.

Question, what has the military reloaded their 223 ammo with forever? Answer: a version of H335! Their loads have to take the temp swings to -25*F to +125*F. Minus 25*F may cause the greatest pressure spikes.

Some of the Current US sniper ammo is loaded with 147g low drag FMJ and R#15 is the main stay, that is why it has been so hard to get. Is R#15 a temp stable powder, well NO!

So, they adjust these non temp sensitive powders for a range of temp swings.

Hope this helps.

Ackley, real good info. I have some H322 but have held off on trying it because I have a ton of other stuff. But lately I have seen a lot of braggin' on the older powders such as H335, BL(C)-2 and the 4895's, so this is good news. Did you work up to the final load with the 50's and 55's or did you just happen to try a load and then tweek? By the way, the folks at Hodgdon told me that a ball powder cannot be made insensitive to temperature. Is that your understanding and is that correct? By the way thanks for all the data, I will use it for sure!

I agree about the H322 with lighter bullets. I use it for my 20 Practical for shooting 24-40gr bullets and have had WONDERFUL results with it. I haven't tried it yet in my .223's but I will.
wink.gif

I've been using 26.5grs of varget with a 60gr V-max for years this load shoots good out of every rifle we have ever tried. also run 26.2 with a 65gr sierra.

Originally Posted By: HumpnessI have several lbs of VARGET left over from my 22-250 days. I worked up an accurate load with benchmark and 53gr but I'm wondering if there is a home for the varget. Are you guys using it on 60+ grainers? I know you can load load 50s and 55s but it doesn't seem like the powder of choice, given its most likely compressed.

I agree. It is better with heavy bullets in the 223.......

I know this is a varget thread but i have had great luck with benchmark powder and 55gr nbt. you can cover 9 out of 10 with a nickle at 100yds.

Back