Upper to Lower receiver gap with New Frontier poly lower...

Hibs

Just got in a New Frontier Armory LW-15 polymer lower, and when I bolted it to my upper receiver, I noticed it has a pretty noticeable gap between the upper and lower receiver. There is NO WIGGLE, both receivers are TIGHT around the front and rear takedown pins, but there is a gap most of the way in between the takedown pins. I measured with a set of quality feeler gauges, and at the loosest point in the middle is .021"..... Should I be worried? Or just leave it? I have handled another New Frontier lower and it had a perfectly flat fitment to it's upper. A quick google search showed me this....

Quote:page 0021-21 of TM 9-1005-319-23&P actually has a set of procedures to check the gap between the upper and lower receiver which deals with lateral flex instead.

Figure 29. Use of Thickness Gage.

1. With the upper receiver attached to the lower receiver, and the pivot pin and takedown pins in place, perform the following test:
a. Apply hand pressure to push the upper receiver as far to one side as possible.
b. Attempt to insert a 0.020 in. thickness gage between the pivot pin lugs of the upper and lower receivers.
c. If the thickness gage penetrates to the pivot pin at all accessible locations, repair by replacement of the upper receiver or replacement of weapon is required.

2. If weapon fails the above test, remove the upper receiver and install a "NEW" upper receiver and perform the test again.

3. If weapon now passes the above test, it shall be considered serviceable and continue in use.

4. If weapon fails the test with a new upper receiver, this failure shall be considered a shortcoming. This shortcoming requires action to obtain a replacement weapon. Once a replacement has been received, evacuate the original weapon to depot for overhaul.

I did not do the lateral flex when measuring. Simply measured as the firearm was sitting there on the desk. Lastly, I want to add, I have tried fitment on TWO different complete uppers I have here at the house... Same fitment (with gap) on both.... Here is some pictures...

I would return the New Frontier lower and get something better fitting. It may still shoot but looks like, well you see what it looks like. That would be un-acceptable to me.

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterI would return the New Frontier lower and get something better fitting. It may still shoot but looks like, well you see what it looks like. That would be un-acceptable to me.

Fixed that for you.

aluminum is for tv dinners, ladders, fishing boats and beer cans.

polymer is for lowers.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotaluminum is for tv dinners, ladders, fishing boats and beer cans.

polymer is for lowers.
smile.gif

Yes they are LOWER END GUNS never seen aluminum fit like that .

Would you buy a Cooper with the cheap Savage Bmag plastic stock on it ? I would hope not but maybe so I wouldn't so why put it on an AR.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwhy buy snap-on tools when craftsman do the job just as well

They are made in America. But thats beside the point.

Originally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwhy buy snap-on tools when craftsman do the job just as well

So are these. Guess I better get rid of my Glocks and get a 1911 with twice the weight and half the shots too?

Originally Posted By: dwayOriginally Posted By: bryan hI would buy a good aluminium one.
^^^^What he said^^^^

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTShoot it. That will be the test. Can't really see it hurting anything.
^^^^ what he said is better yet^^^^

Originally Posted By: Mike BOriginally Posted By: bryan hOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwhy buy snap-on tools when craftsman do the job just as well

So are these. Guess I better get rid of my Glocks and get a 1911 with twice the weight and half the shots too?

Yes if you need twice the shots than you need more range time.

Here's my take on the cheap poly lowers. I had a couple of Plum Crazy lowers and had a case head seperation. Blew the mag into little bitty pieces and the mag catch left a good cut in my arm. And as the lower itself goes no damage at all. I replaced a couple of parts and it was good to go. Hey they work but so does the aluminum ones.

Back