Forward assists and dust covers?

Dust covers make me feel better about life. My aim is to never need my forward assists, but I've found myself giving them a tap if I've been particularly lazy about cleaning.

I prefer to have both.

FA is used after press check to ensure bolt is fully in battery. A gentle push is all that is required.

Dust cover does what the name implies and keeps some dust and stuff out of the action.

Last edited:
Also like having both.
Only use the FA to close the bolt after round checking, in the field, prior to waiting for a yote, and waiting...
99.7% of the time the BCG pulls the 1st round out of the mag.
00.3% it didn't, on a dry stand, after that dry stand, tried to empty the empty chamber, now I double-check..

Both are very helpful for a hidesert calling rifle for one thing there is a lot of fine dust.it dosent seem like it but at the end of the day there is quite a bit of it on your gear. The forward assist is essential to me because it helps move the bolt into battery when your trying to chamber a round silently when getting out of the truck.

Originally Posted By: JohnBurnsI prefer to have both.

FA is used after press check to ensure bolt is fully in battery. A gentle push is all that is required.

Dust cover does what the name implies and keeps some dust and stuff out of the action.

This.

The last two uppers I have built are slick sides but the goal is to shave oz everywhere. They do work just fine of course.

Originally Posted By: crazysccrmdThe forward assist is certainly debatable but to call the dust cover a joke...that's a joke in itself. The dust cover serves a very important function. Maybe in bench shooting and good hunting conditions it's not required but that isn't what these rifles were designed for.

Soooooooo..................you are using your AR for what it's designed for?????????????? Good thing you have that dust cover to keep the action clean of sand when you are hitting all those beach heads!!!!!
I guess we need to re-evaluate the way the entire gun world feels about the Winchester Model 70, Remington 700 and the rifle that won WWII, the M1 Garand....none have your mighty and ever so useful dust cover....

When the guns were first issued, they jammed like crazy. Mattel Toys was a name often used. Made me really appreciate my M-14. The action needs a little protection if your in the dirt. The good ole M1's and M14's were designed to handle rough conditions. Mr. Stoner missed that trick.

Originally Posted By: 1loboWhen the guns were first issued, they jammed like crazy. Mattel Toys was a name often used. Made me really appreciate my M-14. The action needs a little protection if your in the dirt. The good ole M1's and M14's were designed to handle rough conditions. Mr. Stoner missed that trick.

Right.
laugh.gif

Here is a little video of a an AR handling somewhat "rough" conditions. Today's AR is not the same as the early Army A1s.

The Army dropped the chrome lined piston bore and chrome chamber from Stoner's original TDP then added dirty ball powder to the ammunition and topped it all off by telling soldiers that the new wonder rifle never needed cleaning.

To the above mix add in ammo that weighs half of the previous ammo so a soldier carried twice as much and and could shoot twice as much in a fight.

The modern AR is the most reliable rifle our troops have ever been issued. But then that is just my opinion.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: msincOriginally Posted By: crazysccrmdThe forward assist is certainly debatable but to call the dust cover a joke...that's a joke in itself. The dust cover serves a very important function. Maybe in bench shooting and good hunting conditions it's not required but that isn't what these rifles were designed for.

Soooooooo..................you are using your AR for what it's designed for?????????????? Good thing you have that dust cover to keep the action clean of sand when you are hitting all those beach heads!!!!!
I guess we need to re-evaluate the way the entire gun world feels about the Winchester Model 70, Remington 700 and the rifle that won WWII, the M1 Garand....none have your mighty and ever so useful dust cover....

My hunting AR has one because I hunt in conditions which make it easy to get grime and crud into the action. Maybe if I just hunted from a clean tree stand or shooting shack it wouldn't matter. There is no benefit (other than an ounce or so) to not having one. It serves a real purpose, whether on a combat rifle or not.

I've used M4s in a few different countries that would've been seriously degraded without a dust cover. I've also used Rem 700s (M24s) there that worked just fine too. Completely different style of action that can't be compared.

I am stunned and shocked that when the AR's first came out they said they don't really need to be cleaned that often. The AR 15 in particular the last several years has been perfected big time. even the cheap parts seem to work as well. but that is not how the gun started out. There is nothing like a coyote running in and you need to take a quick shot, only to have your gun go CLICK, because your bolt didn't go into battery all the way. The problem is when you go to get the gun going in a hurry, did the bolt go home enough to pick up the shoulder of the shell?? if it did a quick pull of the charging handle ejects one round and another can slam home. IF NOT you get a jamb double feed. no coyote is waiting to die while you remedy that problem.

I switched do a chrome BCG that a put some lube on, I find this goes into battery MUCH easier than a standard parkerized BCG

Quote:My hunting AR has one because I hunt in conditions which make it easy to get grime and crud into the action. Maybe if I just hunted from a clean tree stand or shooting shack it wouldn't matter. There is no benefit (other than an ounce or so) to not having one. It serves a real purpose, whether on a combat rifle or not.

I've used M4s in a few different countries that would've been seriously degraded without a dust cover. I've also used Rem 700s (M24s) there that worked just fine too. Completely different style of action that can't be compared.

^^^^^^^what he said.

One other observation is that the Mod. 70, 700 and Garand used steel receivers, not aluminum. Personally I hunt in very dusty/sandy environment and don't like to run my rifle dry.....not a good combination.

Regards,
hm

I don't care one way or another about the forward assist. In fact, incorrect use can cause a small problem to become a big problem. As some have said they like it and have a use for it to quietly seat a round while in stealth hunting mode. All that is well and fine, me I just leave it be and it doesn't bother me.

I kinda like the dust cover. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it is part of the design and doesn't cost much weight or aggravation so why not put it to use. Contrary to some experiences laid out previously I have hunted with modern bolt actions and had wind blown sand make the bolt gritty as heck to operate. I could feel the bolt grinding sand as I operated it and the action was quite rough. It didn't stop anything from going bang when I wanted it to. On the AR it is so simple I wouldn't opt to not have it on there if it was available.

If you ever need the FA you will be glad it is there. Nothing like trying to shoot a Yote only to find out your bolt is not fully seated. Not like a bolt action that either is or is not.

Originally Posted By: msincOriginally Posted By: crazysccrmdThe forward assist is certainly debatable but to call the dust cover a joke...that's a joke in itself. The dust cover serves a very important function. Maybe in bench shooting and good hunting conditions it's not required but that isn't what these rifles were designed for.

HaHa you're example for not needing a dust cover is getting sand while landing on a beach head? Guess you didn't know that the mighty M1 Garand turned into a single shot from the sand on the beach of a little island called Iwo Jima... D-Day they had all sorts of covers and what not to keep junk out.

I dont have to use my AR for tactical stuff anymore but ya my personal AR has a dust cover and a FA. To bad it works just fine huh

I like and build my AR's with both.

The FA I use to check to make sure my bolt is seated and locked. Especially when I am riding the bolt forward trying to be quiet when I first get on a stand. A few taps on the FA and I know the bolt is locked and ready. Plus the 5 years of active duty service in the army has conditioned me to use the FA.

The Dust cover, well it doesn't weight enough for me to not have it. If it added substantial amount of weight to my rig I would leave it off. But the few Oz it adds its worth having. I hunt in the sand hills here in the SE New Mexico. Sometime I am crawling or sneaking into a stand and its nice to be able to close the cover when needed to not get sand and crap on my bolt. It is necessary? No, but it keeps me paying attention to the coyotes instead fiddling with my rifle wondering if there is sand and crap on my bolt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZAre they really necessary?

The debate will probably rage until the end of time. Along with 9mm vs. 45, semi-auto vs. revolver, Republican vs. Democrat, dog vs. cat, Chevy vs. Ford, etc...

They will only become necessary when you NEED them. Has everyone needed them? No. Does that mean that you do not? No. Does it mean that they are a bad idea? No. I was a boy scout and we were taught to be prepared. It is better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Try shooting an AR in a dirty caliber, like the 17Remington shooting factory loads. 2 or 3 rounds out and you are going to wish that you had a FA. Gliding through the brush and you will wish you had a dust cover.

Are they end all-fix-all's? No. Can they help? Yes.

Do YOU need one? YOUR call.

Back