ATN X-sight --- Shipping to distributers

You should be able to go down to your local pawn shop and pick one up for a song and a dance......

I saw where someone has started a class action lawsuit against ATN over this totally dysfunctional work of optical art!
thumbdown.gif

Thanks for the video instructions Benny. Now if ATN actually had one that worked, held zero, didn't need mount adjustment, etc., the video might be of some help.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpBenny have you been able to test the revamped 3x12 with the manual focus? Does it work and is the image clear?

I tested, the mount was off center and the focus is not as crisp as the 5x18.

Sent it back to see if I can get one with a straighter mount.

Wow, seems the saga with ATN never ceases. Are others reporting the poor focus in the newly revamped version? Must be a terrible QC problem since it isn't just software, but a really bad mounting mechanical problem.

Pure junk. Seems to me it needs to go into file 13, ie the garbage can, and then start over and build, from the ground up, a decent digital "night" vision scope, one that works as it's supposed too straght out of the box. On top of that, Customer Service needs a serious overhaul.

In my mind at the moment, ATN does not exist, so I don't even consider them anymore. Any future products they might introduce will have to show some very high ratings over a period of time (from hunters and not reps) for me to ever look their way again. If I sound calloused, it's because I am. ATN made me that way.

ATN released their latest firmware package today for those of you still tracking this thread. Stated fixes are:

Most notably you'll see that the reticle now stay in the center of the screen while zooming in. Happy hunting!

Key Feature: During Smooth Zoom the reticle will no longer shift proportionately away from the center. The reticle will begin at whatever position you zero the reticle to. When zooming, the reticle will now move towards center of the screen

Key Feature: Due to popular demand - Photo Capture has been integrated with Video Capture. You may now take photos while recording video.

Note: To properly test the usability of this change, standalone Photo Capture has been disabled

Reticle is now displayed in recorded content

Power through USB available (batteries needed to power on, but can be removed once an external USB power is plugged in)

WiFi has been optimized and is more stable

GPS temporarily disabled; no geotag, no velocity, no altitude. (Will be enabled in next firmware update)

True magnification shown when using Smooth Zoom. User must first select lens type, i.e. 3x (for 3-12x X-Sight) or 5x (for 5-18x X-Sight)

Added Sleep Mode to improve battery life. X-Sight will go to sleep when not used or moved. Any physical movement of the scope or button press will awaken the device

Various bug fixes

I was at their Shot Show Booth when they released this product two years ago, sure has come a long way since then....amazing piece of work!

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI was at their Shot Show Booth when they released this product two years ago, sure has come a long way since then....amazing piece of work!

Captain - I detect large amounts of Truth in that statement - Spock

Making my rounds checking to makes sure that the digital products are being properly tested - here is a point of impact test on the new firmware build

Ben, that looks pretty good. The clarity is not bad, even at the highest zoom. Good to see the reticle showing in the video.

At what distance were you shooting?

Do you plan some night shooting / testing?

Have you tested the latest firmware to see that all the functions listed in your post above, works correctly?

Thanks for posting that.

I am currently working through the latest firmware, here is an additional test demonstrating field of view differences between the 3x and 5x models

So tonight I lived the phrase "Do My Eyes Deceive Me?"

And as I put this test video together I find that it raises more questions than answers about a great many things.

I can best sum it up it this statement:

You've got to wonder what the TRUE potential is for digital night vision, right now - tonight, not ten years from now but NOW NOW!

What am I babbling about?

When I reviewed the video footage from this weekend's field testing of the ATN X-sight I was shocked to observe Gen 2 perhaps Gen 3 performance relative to distance and clarity.

When you watch the video I can tell you that the tree line in the background is 468 yards away and I can make out individual mesquite tree clusters in the recorded video. THIS IS THE TYPE OF PERFORMANCE I HAVE BEEN YEARNING FOR in a digital scope.

But it doesn't correlate with what I was seeing in the field at the time of actual use so I'll rely on your testing and feedback to either dispute what I think it is I'm seeing or validate it.

I have to tell you that sleeping is going to be difficult tonight because I know the potential is there, it is inside the scope as it sits to render a bright/clear image to nearly 500 yards.

How come it isn't passing through to the viewfinder, can we get an ANSWER to that QUESTION?

I'll take flickering all night if I can see that far....

Here is the video:

Thanks Benny and good work. I hope the viewfinder picture can be brought up the level of the video. Man, that would be great for sure. Seems like also in the daytime video that the 3x12 focus was much better than I expected since there were reports of it still not focusing well even with manual adjustment. Maybe, ATN will get there before this year is over. It will be a heck of a scope if they do, and alter the NV market considerably. Were you using a T-20 IR?

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThanks Benny and good work. I hope the viewfinder picture can be brought up the level of the video. Man, that would be great for sure. Seems like also in the daytime video that the 3x12 focus was much better than I expected since there were reports of it still not focusing well even with manual adjustment. Maybe, ATN will get there before this year is over. It will be a heck of a scope if they do, and alter the NV market considerably. Were you using a T-20 IR?

Yes a T20 IR mounted on the front handguard, all the jacking with the light was manipulating the head to try and cast light high and long to get the auto gain to settle down, none of which you see on the footage as it just looks bright as can be.

Not sure they can get the near eye display to output the same level of detail BUT it is interesting that the parts inside the unit are capable of that performance at the price.

Digital is a beast and it should be allowed to run free
w00t.gif

BB

I tested the video image "skewed brightness" feature again last night. I have to admit the recorded output file looks pretty amazing. It pains me to watch the side by side and not know if the current near eye display IS or ISNT capable of matching the video output in terms of brightness and smoothness.

I understand that these are complex products and the technical limitations involved with bringing a new product to market so hopefully these video tests and YOUR COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK translate into improvements where they count on future models/versions of the X-sight....

Video of 248 (re-validation of previous test) and upgraded the firmware in the stand
cool.gif
and immediately followed with a video test on 253 firmware build. All in all it looks as though the image brightness skewing is the same between both firmware builds. LIGHT AMPLIFICATION SET TO LOW!

NOTE: I do want to point out that I am pouring over this pretty good because it was my experience previously with the Xsight that the viewfinder image AND recorded video output image were synced with each other. I offer the following "oldie but goodie" for your consideration. This was firmware build .200 or .228 I don't exactly remember

So if you compare the 100 yard UNV20IR image of the 200/228 build to the recorded video output image (small inset video) of the 248/253 video you will see that ATN certainly tinkered with the settings, unfortunately (i know dead horse kicking) the viewfinder image didn't change by much through all of this.

BB

Testing continues - the two previous efforts yielded consistent results of there being a difference between the viewfinder's image brightness and clarity versus the recorded video output and these observations were further demonstrated in the latest testing using 3 various firmware builds.

HOWEVER this test does dispel some of my previously reported information and testing regarding the recorded video output varying between firmwares, it is pretty solid evidence in the latest test that the recorded video image brightness and clarity is unchanged.

It just goes to show that multiple tests are probably a better indicator of overall performance of a system given the wide array of variables involved such as but not limited to weather conditions, terrain, elevation, battery charges, etc etc etc.

Here is the 3 firmware video test of night mode:

Last edited:
Back