.223 rem zero

kycoalminer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have acquired a Remington 700 adl .223 24 in barrel with a 1/12 twist. I will use it as my predator hunting gun, my shots range from 50-200 yds im shooting Winchester 55gr psp. I currently only have access to a 50 yard range at this time so my question is if, I zero my rifle at 50yds were will it be at 100,150,200yds

Go to one of the reloading sites put up by the bullet makers. They have a trajectory guide at the back of the manual that will tell you what height the bullet is at 50 yard distances for just about any zeroing range.

50 yard zero, +.2" at 100, 150 yard zero, -2" at 100. Assuming similar atmospheric conditions and it is the Winchester factory ammo at 3240 fps.

i always sight my 223 in dead on at 50yrds. and double check it at 100yrds. just to make sure the windage is correct. i shoot 40gr vmax. dead on at 50 and 200 yards. bout 1.25" high at 100. i hold dead center out to 225,
google JBM Ballistics calculator and u can plug all ur numbers in there and make ur own drop chart

Last edited:
I just play with an app on my phone(istrelok) until I like the way the chart shows the drop/rise I like. I don't like too much rise and prefer it to be less than an inch. Where ever that puts me with easy to remember drop in inches. For example 220 yards is 2" 230 is 3" 240 is 4" etc. of course it's not completely exact but I estimate my 223 is around 170yrds zero. Plus I have a rangefinder that does corrections in moa or inches that is real close for under 400yards or so maybe more.

I would want to be about 3 inches low at 50 yards. Should be a couple inches high at 100 and starting to die at 200. That's why I'm going to a 22-250.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I would want to be about 3 inches low at 50 yards. Should be a couple inches high at 100 and starting to die at 200. That's why I'm going to a 22-250.

Your 3" low at 50 makes absolutely no sense. Bullets do not rise.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I would want to be about 3 inches low at 50 yards. Should be a couple inches high at 100 and starting to die at 200. That's why I'm going to a 22-250.

[beeep]?

what in the world would have that trajectory?

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Smackem223I would want to be about 3 inches low at 50 yards. Should be a couple inches high at 100 and starting to die at 200. That's why I'm going to a 22-250.

Not going by a ballistics chart but if you have extra ammo try sighting a 223 in at 25 yards, take the target out to 100 and see where you hit. If you're not close to 8 inches high at 100 your a better shot than I am and the multiple guns I've tried it with.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Smackem223I would want to be about 3 inches low at 50 yards. Should be a couple inches high at 100 and starting to die at 200. That's why I'm going to a 22-250.

Not going by a ballistics chart but if you have extra ammo try sighting a 223 in at 25 yards, take the target out to 100 and see where you hit. If you're not close to 8 inches high at 100 your a better shot than I am and the multiple guns I've tried it with.

a 25 yard zero will be about 3" or so high at 100. I have absolutely no idea where you are thinking a 25 yard zero will be 8" high at 100 yards. And there is no way possible to match the trajectory you originally mentioned of 3" low at 50 yards that would make a round land a couple inches high at 100, then a 200 yard zero. Of the thousands of rounds I have shot from a 223, I can simply not get this data to make any type of sense. And is is a direct contradiction to the many hours of formal training I have received.

I've looked at many ballistic charts and they seem to be a suggestion rather than what a round may actually do. I didn't say a 200 yard zero. I meant the little pooch 223 would start dying at 200. You say a 223 can be sighted in at 25 and be a little high at 100, yet sighted in at 50 and high at a 100 isn't possible. That makes no sense. you had said before a bullet can't climb.

Can you point me in the direction of which ballistic chart shows 3" low at 50 and about 2" high at 100?
I wasn't aware the bullet would rise 5" in 50 yards
Please enlighten me by all means

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I've looked at many ballistic charts and they seem to be a suggestion rather than what a round may actually do. I didn't say a 200 yard zero. I meant the little pooch 223 would start dying at 200. You say a 223 can be sighted in at 25 and be a little high at 100, yet sighted in at 50 and high at a 100 isn't possible. That makes no sense. you had said before a bullet can't climb.

It doesn't climb, velocity does not affect gravity, it is beginning to fall as soon as it leaves the muzzle, that's not ballistics, it's physics.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I've looked at many ballistic charts and they seem to be a suggestion rather than what a round may actually do. I didn't say a 200 yard zero. I meant the little pooch 223 would start dying at 200. You say a 223 can be sighted in at 25 and be a little high at 100, yet sighted in at 50 and high at a 100 isn't possible. That makes no sense. you had said before a bullet can't climb.

I did not say anywhere "yet sighted in at 50 and high at a 100 isn't possible" Ballistics charts use mathematical equations to dictate where the bullet will land with the input data provided. If the input data is 100%, the output will be as well.

You can not have a round sighted 3" low at 50 and then "a couple of inches high at 100" It can not happen.

The other thing I find funny is how folks are taking the "pooch 223" out to 1000 yards on steel...Seems more capable then some want to admit. And I bet they are using ballistics calculators to get there.
wink.gif

AS to your 'extra ammo' ploy earlier...I have taken my 223 with 55 gr SBK to 500 on MOA targets...using a ballistics calculator. There is no way to prove you proposed trajectory because it is impossible.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223if you have extra ammo try sighting a 223 in at 25 yards, take the target out to 100 and see where you hit. If you're not close to 8 inches high at 100 your a better shot than I am and the multiple guns I've tried it with.

i must be a better shot than you. all my friends and family are better too.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: kycoalminer--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have acquired a Remington 700 adl .223 24 in barrel with a 1/12 twist. I will use it as my predator hunting gun, my shots range from 50-200 yds im shooting Winchester 55gr psp. I currently only have access to a 50 yard range at this time so my question is if, I zero my rifle at 50yds were will it be at 100,150,200yds

The Winchester ballistics calculator shows the 55 psp zero at 50 yds then 100 yds 0.5 in. high, 150 yds -0.2 in., and 200 yds -2.2 in.
http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

Back