Johnny Stewart Prey Master

Bloodhound

So off a tip from members here, I tracked down 4 new cards for my Prey Master and "Santa" got them into my stocking for Christmas morning. They have been sitting on my dresser since then...so when I got home from work last night, I decided to test them out, it was 59 degrees. So out on to the deck with the call and cards and I just turned it on to test each card...I live in the suburbs of Denver and wasn't expecting anything much besides the dogs going nuts and maybe a big tom cat who wanders around killing song birds.

Well I had a fox come right to the back gate after only the 3rd sound! Too bad I couldn't do anything about the fox...no shooting in the subdivision....

The cops arrived 10 min later and wanted to know if I was hunting...............then they wanted to see if I could get the fox to come back, on of the guys had never seen a wild fox.......

Don't think I need a new call....I want one...but...

I still have a pretty decent Prey Master with the big speaker stashed around here somewhere. It just needs a new battery and has worked pretty darned good in the past

I used the preymaster for years with good success!! A lot more success with the FoxPro but I don't know if it is the call or me gaining knowledge and more places to hunt. Is it corded or remote?? The corded ones must be taped at the connection point on the speaker and the plug in or they will break right off. I still remember starting with cottontail up two clicks on the volume button then after a few minutes switch to grey Fox pup three clicks up on the volume. I was a pro at pulling the card out and slamming a new one in. I think grey pup was top right corner?? Lol.

Mine has a 50 foot cord and a 25 foot extension...I taped the plug in at the speaker and the connection on the extension. I have a Nandy rig to make it cordless but haven't done it...Had it out again last night with my grand daughter and drove the cats in the area crazy with the flicker sounds.....Fox didn't show up.

It is a wireless transmitter and received that are used for recording remote like recording a wedding with a camcorder and having the mike on the preachers lapel so the vows are loud and clear on the video. It is also used by singers and speakers so they can move around the stage and not have to drag a cord around with them. I'll post a picture of a PM set up with the same set up using the Azden brand of equipment.

They worked well in their day and I killed a lot of coyotes with the set up. You could build a remote caller for less than half the cost of à factory unit at the time. They were complicated as you had three sets of batteries, three on/off switches, two volume controls and two channel selectors to keep track of.

Needless to say a used FP 416B or Spitfire is much more user friendly. JS sounds on the PM were deadly though.

Last edited:
That is cool. I still have an old JS. I would still use it if it wasn't for the cord. I believe some of the old sounds are the new sounds. Not to many people playing old school sounds these days.

Last edited:
This is one that I put together when I first got into Predator calling (before JS came out with their PM-4) and I modified it with a Nady wireless transmitter to eliminate having to work with the 50' cord all the time..I mounted the speaker cone in a 64oz thermal drink cup that you can find at most convenience stores..

Like others have indicated, the sounds are great and very effective..I have a small bungee cord that allows me to hang the speaker from an elevated position in a tree or bush...Coupled with a couple of Turkey feathers for distraction, you have a considerable edge in calling..

I've also set it up at Halloween to add a little excitement to Trick or Treaters that come to the door...The speaker set off to the side and triggered remotely makes a lot of them look around really hard..

I still have a PM4 that I use with good results. I like the Johnny Stewart Sounds as they seem more realistic to me. I tested it on the crows in my neighborhood and they get more fired up with the PM4 than with my FX3 or Shockwave Crow sounds. Maybe that was because I used the PM4 first and they were not used to electronic callers and now know that it's just me and my FoxPro and not a real group of crows. That's probably the reason that the PM4 seems to work better. Those crows get smart after a while and recognize that the sounds are fake. But they still send a couple of crows towards my house just to check out any new crow sounds. They just are not diving around the trees like they did in the past.

It also comes in handy for scaring people when I play the Cougar in heat sounds. I get a lot of double take hard looks when I hide the player next to the boat launch ramp and hide in the bushes until someone pulls up in their boat and gets out and walks by the bushes to go get their boat trailer. A couple of cords of the cougar growls gets their attention real quick. I usually bust myself as I can't help but laugh out loud from my hiding position. The gig is up then. But the look on their faces and their reactions to the sounds is worth it. I use it to get the neighborhood kids attention from time to time as well as the nearby crows that frequent where I live.

Last edited:
I was going through some of my old posts and came across this one.

I am still using the Johnny Stewart and I still havn't hooked up the Nady system...its still new in the box.

I don't even mind the cord to the speaker and the remote...just cool to have it still bringing in critters.

I loved my PM-4. I also like some of the Johnny Stewart sounds better than others. I called in a lot of critters with that call.

Back