One suppressor for a variety of calibers

Another question.

I was recently told that there could potentially be a problem if a suppressor has to utilize a mount, with the mount screwing onto the barrel and then the suppressor screwing onto the mount. To my understanding, there could be an alignment issue.

I assume "direct thread" means the suppressor threads directly to the threaded barrel.

The question in my mind is this - how does a guy use a suppressor, say like the SilencerCo Harvester on a variety of rifles that have varying barrel diameters. My CZ 17 Remington barrel is smaller than either of my Remington Senderos etc.

Does a mount have specific threads such that a gunsmith would then thread for the barrel for that specific mount? I assume the can would fit over the mount and it would be a standard thread.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Another question.

I was recently told that there could potentially be a problem if a suppressor has to utilize a mount, with the mount screwing onto the barrel and then the suppressor screwing onto the mount. To my understanding, there could be an alignment issue.

I assume "direct thread" means the suppressor threads directly to the threaded barrel.

The question in my mind is this - how does a guy use a suppressor, say like the SilencerCo Harvester on a variety of rifles that have varying barrel diameters. My CZ 17 Remington barrel is smaller than either of my Remington Senderos etc.

Does a mount have specific threads such that a gunsmith would then thread for the barrel for that specific mount? I assume the can would fit over the mount and it would be a standard thread.

All you are doing with a QD or "mount" is introducing more variables (now you have to have a square threaded muzzle shoulder, as well as a square mount to shoulder up to it, you also need the can to be receptive) whether something may not be machined to tolerance or something wears out, or you use them like we do and get, snow, rain, sleet, dirt, sand, mud, seeds, lint, frost, condensation etc. in on or around them, by going direct thread "single point" you can eliminate some variables, if you choose to.

Now for running a direct thread on everything, you'll need adapters, which in a sense will introduce some of the same variables as a QD, UNLESS all the muzzles of your weapons your getting threaded have the correct diameter needed to allow your can to be ran on all of them.

Another question.

Whomever told you that obviously does not have much experience with modern suppressors. Without a doubt in 1980 direct threads was the way to go. Suppressors and their mounting methods has changed drastically, along with accurate CNC to produce these parts. If you go to ANY tactical competition shoot anywhere in the country you'll see that by far more and more the guys running cans use some sort of brake attached or something other than a direct thread. The military ALL are running either running QD stuff or something that threads over a brake or flash hider. This use and level of accuracy is FAR more demanding on equipment than guys hunting so that's something to ponder on.......

Thanks.

The guy who told me about possible issues with using mounts, is like me and knows very little about them. He wasn't saying it in a manner that he knows all about it. He was just reporting to me what he had read. We both are interested in obtaining a suppressor in the near future, and are trying to gain as much solid information as we can from experienced people before we take the plunge.

I appreciate everyone's comments and welcome even more. There's apparently a lot of disinformation out there too, so discussions like this are valuable. There's a lot for me and others to learn.

Originally Posted By: Kino M
Whomever told you that obviously does not have much experience with modern suppressors. Without a doubt in 1980 direct threads was the way to go. Suppressors and their mounting methods has changed drastically, along with accurate CNC to produce these parts. If you go to ANY tactical competition shoot anywhere in the country you'll see that by far more and more the guys running cans use some sort of brake attached or something other than a direct thread. The military ALL are running either running QD stuff or something that threads over a brake or flash hider. This use and level of accuracy is FAR more demanding on equipment than guys hunting so that's something to ponder on.......

I've got an MK11 MOD0 with the mated QD over the barrel pin on can (same can used on the MK13), and a surefire SOCOM762RC, both of which the "Military" uses, the MOD0's I believe were issued to top tier fellas years ago... I wouldn't use either of those cans for hunting applications, and I could elaborate very clearly why on each...
I've also used two other "big" name companies QD mounts, and had straight up issues, enough issues, I don't use em anymore... However I am Testing a few newer QD mounts made by some local fellas, we'll see how the POI shift and on/off work out when we get that 45mph SD wind filling up those crystal CNC machined parts with sand, and frozen snow.

Thanks.

The guy who told me about possible issues with using mounts, is like me and knows very little about them. He wasn't saying it in a manner that he knows all about it. He was just reporting to me what he had read. We both are interested in obtaining a suppressor in the near future, and are trying to gain as much solid information as we can from experienced people before we take the plunge.

I appreciate everyone's comments and welcome even more. There's apparently a lot of disinformation out there too, so discussions like this are valuable. There's a lot for me and others to learn.

I don't know as much as some fellas do, but there is definitely a place for QD and direct thread, the simple fact is this, what do you want to do with it, are you going to be running it in a variety of dirty, wet, freezing conditions without cleaning the mount or inside of the can? Or do you want it swapped from one rifle to another in a quick easy manner? Maybe you'll leave it on one gun all the time, up until cleaning?
You can't dispute the fact CNC and attachment methods have came a long way, you also can't dispute the fact that by going the QD route there is another set of circumstances you may want to factor in...
All the fellas I chat with on the phone or PM's I straight up tell them if you want repetitive "precision" a single point attachment is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: skinney
if you want repetitive "precision" a single point attachment is the way to go.

+1. This is what I tell my customers as well.

Also, think about how far you are shooting and what your shooting conditions are like. So many guys get caught up on what works for one guy will work for them. Skinny has different shooting rigs and conditions than I do. What works for him may not work for me. Design your rifle and suppressor around YOUR conditions and shooting style. If you are a run and gun and want to switch the suppressor between 5 guns a day then the QD is the way to go. If you have a rig that you may take the suppressor off once or twice a year then single point is what you may want. Companies like SilencerCo are now offering suppressors that you can change it from Qd or Direct thread so this helps with this dilemma

Skinny,you bring up some valid points and I partially agree with you on some of them. the point I was making is that the military utilizes QD systems for suppressor attachment and those systems do provide a rugged high level of accuracy. another thing I would like to clarify is that a true QD system is not even close to what the TOMB system that SAS has designed for precision. I totally agree systems like AACs 51t QD and several other systems suck for a precision can and there's plenty of PO'd customers out there to quantify that.

Skinny I'm anxious to hear your experience with SAS and there TOMB system.

Also, I was in units that was issued M24s M110s and M82s with many rounds of trigger time so I can elaborate on any of those and others from first hand experience while serving multiple tours of combat and many years as in Infantryman in the US Army....

Originally Posted By: Kino MS

Skinny I'm anxious to hear your experience with SAS and there TOMB system.

I am not familiar with that system, but very interested to hear more about it!

So, for precision shooting, I think I see that a direct thread suppressor will most likely be what I need. I think I am hearing that a 5.56 / 223 can screwed directly to my 17 Remington barrel will be better than using a larger can with an adapter.

For my Heavier barrel Senderos, one factory barrel (7mmSTW) and one rebarreled Krieger (6mm06), I assume the barrels can be threaded to accept the can directly?? I haven't measured the diameters of the barrels, but I think they are similar.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06So, for precision shooting, I think I see that a direct thread suppressor will most likely be what I need. I think I am hearing that a 5.56 / 223 can screwed directly to my 17 Remington barrel will be better than using a larger can with an adapter.

For my Heavier barrel Senderos, one factory barrel (7mmSTW) and one rebarreled Krieger (6mm06), I assume the barrels can be threaded to accept the can directly?? I haven't measured the diameters of the barrels, but I think they are similar.

Your .223 stuff should be threaded 1/2x28 as that is the standard for that diameter. The .24 and .28 caliber stuff should be threaded 5/8x24 as they fall under the .30 cal standard. This is there to keep people from accidentally screwing on .22 cal cans or flash hiders on larger caliber guns. I would STRONGLY advise you sticking to those industry standards. That's why mounting systems have evolved and direct thread is becoming a thing of the past as people are learning about modular mounts like the TOMB. Please do more research into the TOMB and see for yourself the advantages it offers over direct thread.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06So, for precision shooting, I think I see that a direct thread suppressor will most likely be what I need. I think I am hearing that a 5.56 / 223 can screwed directly to my 17 Remington barrel will be better than using a larger can with an adapter.

Correct on your first statement with a 5.56/223 can.

Correct on your second statement also but you will need a 30 cal can for your 6mm and lager calibers. You should have a least .730 to get a good shoulder with the 5/8 threads.

However if you elect to use a 30 cal can on everything you can have the 17 cut to 5/8 threads also as long as you have the barrel to do so. If not enough barrel you can cut it to 1/2 and use an adapter but then again that is not ideal but it will be ready to accept a 5.56 / 223 can when you are able to purchase one. Suppression will not be as good as a 5.56 / 223 can but plenty good.

If you have the funds available get a 30 cal and a 5.56 / 223 cal. If not pick one and save for the other. We have all been where you are at one time in our life.
smile.gif

I use a 7.62 Gemtech Titanium SandStorm, (13 oz very light).
It's a Direct thread 5/8x24.
I bought bushings 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 ( $25 ea) and I can shoot my .17. .204, .224. .6mm, .6.5mm, .308 All using the one SandStorm Suppressor.
I also have an AWC 5.56 Raider Stainless Steel Suppressor,
(34oz heavy) threaded 1/2x28 and I can use it with the .17, .204,.224 Calibers.
Bolt guns are quieter than semi-auto guns with either Suppressor.
I have no instruments to measure sound, just my ears.
The Raider may be a tick quieter, but your burning less powder in a .17-.224, than say a .308 loaded round.
All this said.
If I had to buy just one, it would be the 7.62 Gemtech SandStorm Titanium.

Last edited:
Just picked up my harvester and second spectre II tonight. Silencer shop has a video of a mag dump on an ar10 through the harvester. It's not recommended but it will take it just not over and over. Mine will live on my 308 bolt gun and the yhm lta will hop around on the ar's. I do recommend getting some muli purpose cans first. But be warned these things are like rabbits and worse than ar's. I paid for 7 stamps last year.

Let me say it was my first can so I don't have the experience others on here do but, it does everything I've asked of it. Locks up tight, I was shooting at a public range and some guys shooting ar's on the 50 line were louder with ear pro than my 308 without it. I think it's good for the price. I don't care for the spikes on the end but I was rolling the dice on if I would get it before my antelope hunt last year and my dealer had it in stock and gave it to me for the price of the lt. I just got this harvester because of the spectre II deal for $100. But my next 308 can probably will be another yhm lt just because I can invest in the mounts and jump them around on most my rifles. The harvester will just stay on my 308 bolt gun. It's a savage hog Hunter im turning into a poor mans custom

I bounce back between the two, yhm or harvester. I like the yhm bc of the mount system for the 223 and 308 being interchangeable but also like the size better of the harvester. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Back