c.o.a.l question

reaper4

So I tried the soot covered bullet but could not get consistent results. So I just seated a bullet a bit longer than my AR ammo in an attempt to get closer to the lands. So I set my 50 grain btips out at 2.285 and chambered 3 making sure there were no marks left from contact with the rifling. Any problem with this? I know its a bit different than most do it. Just don't want to have any safety issues

Wrap a piece of tape around a cleaning rod.

Close the bolt on an empty chamber.

Insert the cleaning rod, and very carefully make a mark at the end of the muzzle.

Remove the bolt.

Push a bullet (just a bullet - not a cartridge) into the chamber and hold it against the lands with a pencil.

Reinsert the cleaning rod, and now mark again at the end of the muzzle.

Measure between the two markings - There's your max COAL for that bullet, where it would be kissing the lands.

Subtract your desired bullet jump from that measurement, say 0.020", work up your load, then walk them closer to the lands and test for accuracy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reaper4I am shooting a browning x bolt varmint the rounds clear the mags

Sorry...I made an assumption. What you are doing is perfectly safe.

Historically, I've found the best accuracy with the bullets seated between .030"-.035" from the lands for most shooting.. I know that some will prefer pushing the ogive up to the lands, but I've seldom had success with that process.. When pushing them to the lands, you have to keep in mind that you can be creating a higher pressure spike and reload accordingly..

Back